Kodi can browse video files in network - but won't play them
Hello all,

I just bought the Nvidia Shield 2019. I'm using a Macbook Pro running Catalina with SMB File Sharing enabled. When opening the Kodi app on the Nvidia Shield i can browse my videos from the shared folder, but when i try to play them it doesn't work (i click on them and it immediately stops). Opening videos on local devices such as Micro SD work without any problem.

What am i doing wrong here?

Thanks!

update: just tested it with files on my NAS, which do work as well. I think there's something wrong with the share settings on my Macbook?
I'm having the same problem with Catalina.  I can browse the files, but as soon as I try to play them it shows the buffer wheel thing then stops.
I use my iMac to share videos to my tablet and FireTV box.  I've been using this same setup for more than 5 years without any issues until I updated to Catalina. I have found that I can play the videos using the VLC for Fire app without any changes to the iMac's sharing settings.

I have found, from other posts, that this is due to the SMB v2 and v3 protocol.  I still haven't been able to get it working 100% using SMBv3, but I have found 2 workarounds...

1. Enable UPnP on both devices.  You can then stream freely from the Mac to the other device, but you have to have Kodi open on both devices.
2. Downgrade SMB to v1. On the Nvidia go to Settings>Services>SMB Client and set Maximum protocol version to SMBv1.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi can browse video files in network - but won't play them0