Playing Videos From FreeNAS
Hi.  I've repurposed my old desktop into a NAS (using freenas).  I want to play the videos stored on the drives on my nas to my TV but my TV is not a "smart TV" so it doesn't have any sort of network connectivity and the only way is to connect the TV directly to my NAS via HDMI.  My question is, can i install Kodi directly onto my NAS, and is there a way that it basically plays the movie directly from the NAS and simply outputs it to the TV connected via HDMI?  Or, maybe using my current desktop (or even an android phone) be able to remotely open one of the videos on the nas but have it played to my TV that is connected via hdmi to the NAS?

Forgive me if my question seems stupid.  I really don't know.  I'm still quite new at all this ideas about NAS, media servers, htpc, and the likes.  Thanks in advance.
(2020-08-20, 20:23)hitman0517 Wrote: My question is, can i install Kodi directly onto my NAS

Kodi has no specific builds for NAS devices. I know that QNap has some of their NAS devices provided with Kodi, but those devices also have nothing to do with Team Kodi.

I'd put a simple Raspberry Pi setup next to your TV, connect it via the network to your NAS, and have the RPi do the video playing for you. In which case you can also stack the NAS away in a different room in order to have a quiet TV room.
(2020-08-20, 20:43)Klojum Wrote:
(2020-08-20, 20:23)hitman0517 Wrote: My question is, can i install Kodi directly onto my NAS

Kodi has no specific builds for NAS devices. I know that QNap has some of their NAS devices provided with Kodi, but those devices also have nothing to do with Team Kodi.

I'd put a simple Raspberry Pi setup next to your TV, connect it via the network to your NAS, and have the RPi do the video playing for you. In which case you can also stack the NAS away in a different room in order to have a quiet TV room.

Thank you for the response.  I'll have a look at theRaspberry Pi option.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Playing Videos From FreeNAS0