Mixing 4k/1080p TVs and sources and players.
OK, up till now all of the TVs in our house are 1080p and our Kodi players have been Chromeboxes running libreelec. I have accordingly never bothered to collect material above 1080p level and indeed much of it is 720p.

But tomorrow I have a 86" 2160p TV arriving and I have a Odroid N2+ which I intend to put coreelec on to feed it. I have some questions and seek recommendations from this forum. I have a server and use MySQL to keep the database the same everywhere.

1. How do people cope with having a 2160p and a 1080p (or 720p) version of the same material on the server? Is there some way to have 2 versions and for the 2160p machine play the 2160p version and the other players to play the lower quality version?

2. How should I set up the new tv and N2 in terms of being able to seamlessly play 2160p and lower quality material. I understand that upscaling is likely better on the TV than it is on the N2(?). My recollection is that Kodi can only be set up on a single resolution and prefers to do upscaling itself, but that TVs are better at upscaling. (It is a LG nanocell if it is important). 

3. Any other tips.

Needless to say, although I am a team member, my Kodi system has been stable for ages. Some of the above details I should know, but I haven't kept up with developments. I am grateful for any tips Smile
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2020-08-25, 11:04)nickr Wrote: 1. How do people cope with having a 2160p and a 1080p (or 720p) version of the same material on the server? Is there some way to have 2 versions and for the 2160p machine play the 2160p version and the other players to play the lower quality version?

Separate folders for 2160p files and then only add that source to the new device.
1. I only buy and rip 4K movies since two and a half year. If I buy a movie I already have in 1080p, I delete that 1080p movie from my nas. My 1080p kodi client and tv combinations (nvidia shield tv 2015, odroid c2 and apple tv 4k) did a very good downscale job. This way I saved a lot of nas disk space. Wink

In my living room I have an lg oled65c97la, an nvidia shield tv 2019 and a sonos arc in use now. My kodi is configured with frame rate switching on start/stop, with a configured whitelist and a resolution of 1080p. If I start a 4K movie the resolution automatically changes to 2160p.

Best regards Hoppel
frontend: nvidia shield tv 2019 pro | apple tv 4k | sonos arc 5.1.2 | lg oled65c97la
backend: supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon | 64gb ecc | wd red | zfs raid-z2 | dd max s8

software: debian | proxmox | openmediavault | docker | kodi | emby | tvheadend | fhem | unifi
(2020-08-25, 11:04)nickr Wrote: 1. How do people cope with having a 2160p and a 1080p (or 720p) version of the same material on the server? Is there some way to have 2 versions and for the 2160p machine play the 2160p version and the other players to play the lower quality version?

You could also display your videos on the smart playlist so that it only shows video material with a maximum of 1080 on the old devices.
I do not understand all your answers, how do you manage to do without your old series or old films, which are nowhere to be found, in 1080p format, remained in simple definition and often in 4:3?

I don't understand where the problem is, my Shield with Kodi reads both 4K (not iso because HEVC is not supported correctly by the hardware) as well as SD videos without me having to modify anything...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Mixing 4k/1080p TVs and sources and players.0