KODI detele function - request to improvement the feature
HI.

I need to delete a large number of media files because my Media hub is getting overloaded. I would like to do this from KODI, because here I have the watch/unwatch and full liberty information, to help me make a good choice before deeming something that I have  watch enough to be delete permanently.

Unfortunately I cant use the delete feature because it only deletes files ;O/

You only get a suggestion to delete the actual video file..but...this will leave a folder with the same name..and srt files + metadata etc. on your media file hub.

The Delete Function feature could be improved to work with a standard folder structure \movie-name-year\movie-name-year.mkv

It would be great with an option to "Delete Folder" which will remove form library and remove the media file folder..to clean up property!

Could this not be a new additional feature for the delete options. And..if yes..please make it a direct "delete all"...so you don't have to go down the full path of removing from library..then file..then folder!

I understand that it may be dangerous to add such a feature, so I also suggest to make some build in safety features.

It could be a sign showing the content of the folder ..with the OK pop-up  - to click OK for deletion.

And perhaps also add an option under the config of the feature, wihch will limit the feature only to display the actual delete folder option, if indeed the folder name = video file name.

I'm sure programmers can come up with even better safety tricks.

Requaero
(2020-08-30, 11:17)requa3r0 Wrote: I need to delete a large number of media files because my Media hub is getting overloaded.
The quickest way for that right now, is that you manually delete the folders from your media drive(s) via your normal Windows (or Linux) file manager, and then subsequently do a Clean Video Library action in Kodi.

As was already outlined to you earlier, simply deleting whole folders is not an option, as some people have their entire movie or tvshow collection in one single folder.
I'm not saying that Kodi doesn't need to be smarter about cleaning up after itself, but it only goes so far. Plenty of people have organized their media collections in different way than was suggested (required..?) in our Wiki pages.

(2020-08-30, 11:17)requa3r0 Wrote: I understand that it may be dangerous to add such a feature, so I also suggest to make some build in safety features.
Indeed, the last thing that we want is people coming to our forum, and shouting that "Kodi wiped my entire media collection!".
No matter how many "Are you sure? (y/n)" popups you display, there will always be some people who manage to do just that.

(2020-08-30, 11:17)requa3r0 Wrote: And perhaps also add an option under the config of the feature, wihch will limit the feature only to display the actual delete folder option, if indeed the folder name = video file name.
I'm sure programmers can come up with even better safety tricks.
It's a cat & mouse game. No matter how fool-proof your application is, there will always be a bigger fool.
Fwiw, folders of TV shows are deleted in full. So we are already taking a chance there.

But, although the Team is currently at a skeleton-crew size, it doesn't hurt to also make the suggestions via the Github Bug Tracker.
If you don't mind automating the deletes, I use Janitor https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=162517   for this and have it remove my watched TV shows after a few days.
KODI Nexus - CoreELEC everywhere on Ugoos AM6 Plus&Pro, Plex Server, HDHomerun with TVHeadend on my NAS.
(2020-08-30, 12:58)jeffski10 Wrote: If you don't mind automating the deletes, I use Janitor https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=162517   for this and have it remove my watched TV shows after a few days.
Thas is not what I am looking for. But thank for suggestion.

I sense some general rejection agents improving the delete function...because it will delete files ??

If you hit delete on a folder in a file explore...files will get deleted...period. That is how that works. We all know that.

The same should apply for a delete function in KODI...if you hit delete all or delete folder...stuff will be erased...

Thats the point!

There is no need to nurse or protect the users from them self. ...to an extent where you don't have a delete function.

The delete function is there allready..its just not very good and do not apply to a standard folder setup!

It if has been enabled under expert mode..and the user selects delete its their choice. Its fair to warn then..and show hat will be delete ..but to prevent them for deleting just to nurse them...is not the right way.

I dont care about the various ways other user may or may not store their files.

I use the standard way..and seriously need a proper delete function within kodi..to tidy things up..when the lib. gets full.

I can not be the only one with this need?

Right not..its a tedious job..of finding the titles I care to delete (I have forgotten half the movie titles ..and have no idea in an file exp. So I need to cross reference with kodi..to delete in Nautilus.....then I have go clean the lib. afterwards. Honestly. I must have 1000 + titles, and a full 12TB HUB.

Seriously...is a delete function that works with the standard folder structure really that much to ask for?
(2020-09-02, 21:09)requa3r0 Wrote: I sense some general rejection agents improving the delete function...because it will delete files ??

I believe that your tin foil hat is starting to leak a couple of incoming rays, and it begins affecting your own brain waves. And yes, you are about the only one that is making such a fuzz about it. Let's just say that changing the deleting process is currently not at the top of our to-do list.

You already can delete folders and files with Kodi's built-in File Manager. Just enable the rename/delete option in the settings, and wipe your files away. Just like that. The 'problem' though with that method, is that entries in Kodi's databases will not be automatically removed. So you'd have to do a "Clean Library" action following each time you are on a killing deleting spree.
(2020-09-02, 21:09)requa3r0 Wrote:
(2020-08-30, 12:58)jeffski10 Wrote: im guessing you are the only person using kodi in your house..... I share with other people including kids...... any real delete option needs to be hidden behind passwords and such

"There is no need to nurse or protect the users from them self. ...to an extent where you don't have a delete function."
(2020-09-19, 04:59)thanksXBMC Wrote: "There is no need to nurse or protect the users from them self. ...to an extent where you don't have a delete function."

Im guessing you are the only person using KODI in your house, I share with other people including kids so any deletion option needs to be locked or hidden behind a password/s

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
KODI detele function - request to improvement the feature0