v18 Futaba (mdm166a) VFD Display Windows 10 Kodo 18,8
Hello,

I have a problem with running the mdm166a display in kodi 18.8 under Windows 10. I added the LCDproc plug in add-on, the displays only show "POWER ON". on openelec I had no problem with this display.

Any advice what am I doing wrong?
Thank you in advance and best regards.
To receive meaningful assistance you will need to provide a full debug log.

The instructions are here... debug log (wiki)

If you are using the Basic Method, then ensure the following is applied...
1.Enable debugging in Settings>System Settings>Logging,
2.Restart Kodi
3.Replicate the problem.
4.Upload the log to Kodi Paste Site manually or use the Kodi Logfile Uploader. (wiki) With either method post the link to the log back here.

If you are using the Advanced Method ensure you have correctly created and applied the advancedsettings.xml file (wiki)

In both instances, you should see the word DEBUG throughout the log.

Note: Full logs only. No partial or redacted logs
Do NOT post your logs directly into the forum. Use the Kodi Paste Site. Post the link to your pasted log in the forum
Learning Linux the hard way !!
sorry for the delay, was that it?
Kodi LOG
Yeah, it is. However, I should have realized earlier that LCDProc (which is what the addon connects to) is a Linux only driver unless someone has forked it and built it for Windows.  There is a very old version here but whether it works or not, or will do what you want is debatable.

To be clear, the Kodi addon connects to LCDProc, which in turn drives the display(s).  So, the addon sends info to the display server and then that puts it on the display.  OpenElec is/was Linux based which is why it would work.  Perhaps you might like to consider LibreElec as a working alternative if you can't find anything to drive your LCD under Windows.

LCDSmartie might be able to drive it, or LCDhype although I'm not sure how old those programs might be or whether they will even run on Win10.
Thanks for your help, I'll try to do something.
My asrock j3455-itx is doomed to Windows 10, no drivers for 7.8.1.
I have a question what Linux do you recommend to HTPC? Kodi, Netflix, Spotify and other streaming services, as far as I know, liberelec does not support Netflix and Spotify.
(2020-09-12, 10:17)ziomek00 Wrote: liberelec does not support Netflix and Spotify.

I'm pretty sure it supports both of them provided you have the necessary subscriptions of course.
(2020-09-12, 12:36)black_eagle Wrote: provided you have the necessary subscriptions of course.

Yes I have.

Netflix and Spotify are as functional as under Windows? Recently, the support at openelec was weak, but it was 3 years ago.
I think with regards to Netflix, there is a bit better chance of getting a higher resolution with Windows vs Linux (see the table in the readme here). The spotify addon is maintained here and currently there is a PR to make it compatible with Kodi 19 so development appears to be still on-going.  I'd certainly give them a whirl on LibreElec (openelec died quite some time ago) and see if they fulfil your needs.  If you have a Raspberry Pi it would be easy enough to install on a flashcard and take it for a 'test-drive' without altering your current system.
If windows is what you have and want to use LCDproc on windows then consider vmware workstation on windows 10. Just install ubuntu on the vmware workstation giving it access to the usb ports. This is how I am running Kodi on windows 11 getting access to LCDproc.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Futaba (mdm166a) VFD Display Windows 10 Kodo 18,80