Timeshift is choppy
@phunkyfish

First, thanks for all the work and time you've put into this project. I recall when I tried to help and contribut to tvheadend, it took so much time and commitment to get fixes out... Thanks!

I was trying the timeshift feature and noticed that it's not as smooth as I would expect, is this a known issue or it's something on my end? I am on NVidia shield, and I can move around the buffer but it takes few seconds for the play to resume once you jump to a certain point in time.
Not that I have noticed. For me it’s less than a second for a seek so I don’t notice it.

Maybe try some different stream types. TS streams will work better than m3u8 generally. Some m3u8 stream can require a lead in so can cause a delay on seek.
Maintainer of Enigma2 PVR addon: repo, docschangelog
How to create a full debug: here
(2020-09-06, 23:19)phunkyfish Wrote: Not that I have noticed. For me it’s less than a second for a seek so I don’t notice it.

Maybe try some different stream types. TS streams will work better than m3u8 generally. Some m3u8 stream can require a lead in so can cause a delay on seek.

apologies, not sure what was the issue, but now that I am testing it, it's as smooth as butter!
Sorry for the false alarm.
Thanks again!
No worries
Sorry to hijack this thread, but didn't want to create an identical one...

i am having issue with choppy playback with time shift enabled, to the point where i cant watch the channels. i have a few installs on old S905x boxes with Matrix Beta 2, and they work fine with time shift, but i just tried to set this up on my new android TV, and time-shift is not working well at all. if i disable time-shift playback is smooth, turn it back on an channels are not watchable freezing and stuttering. are there some things i can check / optimize, or is it likely my TV CPU (i don't know what CPU it is) is simply not up to the task?

Thanks!
It could be your TV. The timeshift feature uses a local on disk buffer for storage and reads/writes a lot of data. It’s likely the TV was not designed for this kind of read/write operation and may be struggling. So more likely storage than CPU. But very hard to tell on a TV.
(2020-12-28, 23:44)phunkyfish Wrote: It could be your TV. The timeshift feature uses a local on disk buffer for storage and reads/writes a lot of data. It’s likely the TV was not designed for this kind of read/write operation and may be struggling. So more likely storage than CPU. But very hard to tell on a TV.
thanks for the reply, i was actually writing to an smb share that i manually set in input-stream settings file, or at least i was to start with. i set this up for my s905x boxes initially as they don't have much space to write to, and they don't have the issue, playback including pause / resume rewind and forward work well and i can see the rolling small files being created and later deleted on the share on my PC. i brought in all settings to my TV from a Kodi backup i took from one of those boxes. After facing the issue, i tried setting my TV to write locally to see if perhaps the TV network performance was not great and contributing, selecting to restore defaults in input stream settings but still the same...guess i will just have to live with it,  i use coreelec as my main Kodi and run next PVR, but it is a pain when channel names mostly live sports change to reflect what is on requiring me to delete / re-create the device. i had hoped to use the TV's kodi with simple iptv for those only as the channels are updated each time i open kodi, i will jut have to keep time-shift turned off.  thanks for replying anyway and great work in general adding time shift :-)

Cheers
I got it to work well on the TV!!!

i found that my VPN broke my Ethernet connection and was forcing the TV to connect through WIFI. Every time VPN connected Ethernet was suddenly disconnected and the TV re-connected with WIFI. if i disbaled WIFI, as soon as VPN tried to connect Ethernet would disconnect and refuse to recognize i had a cable plugged in. i got around this by setting a static IP on my TV Ethernet connection instead of DHCP, and disabling WiFi and now VPN connects through Ethernet and time shift works writing its buffer to a large smb share. i guess the ROM in my TV has some bugs in it, anyhow...very happy.

fyi if anyone is interested or having network issues, my TV is a Toshiba 49UA3A63DB. setting IP to static on Ethernet was the fix!
Glad to hear you got it working.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Timeshift is choppy0