• 1(current)
tinyMediaManager v4 and future plans
original text on: https://www.tinymediamanager.org/blog/v4-future/
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

tinyMediaManager is developed as Open Source since summer 2012 mainly by two developers (Manuel and Myron) in their spare time.

During this time the project grew to about 200.000 lines of code in over 7000 commits. According to the COCOMO model a calculation of the costs for this project results in over two million Euro.

Although this project is Open Source, the contribution to the development work of the tinyMediaManager core team is over 98%. On average we are working more than one hour per day for this project - in our spare time, for free. And all this without financial support or further help. Only the translations (in currently more than 30 languages) and the support in the forum is (partly) done by the community.

Since the lion's share of the work (development, maintenance, deployment, ...) remains within the tinyMediaManager team, we decided to charge an annual fee for the ongoing work on the project (starting with v4). This does not mean that the project itself will change much - tinyMediaManager remains open source and the code remains free.

Basically this means:

- tinyMediaManager remains Open Source - the code is still freely available (excluding our license module and the launcher)
- the compiled/packaged version of tinyMediaManager has a limitation concerning the number of loaded objects/API calls of the scraper (currently 50 movies, 10 TV series and about 50 API calls)
- a license of tinyMediaManager can be purchased (planned is 10€) and will be valid for one year (because the maintenance will continue and new feature will be added constantly)

Since we support the Open Source idea, we will also reward contributions from the community with free licenses (be it translations, pull/merge requests, donations, help in the forum, testing of test versions, ...). Corresponding free licenses will be sent to contributors shortly.

We are aware that many users of tinyMediaManager will not like this decision, but we had the choice to either stop the development of tinyMediaManager or to continue the development and charge a fee. Unfortunately it is no longer economically viable for us to spend more than one hour per day for the maintenance of this project without any financial compensation.

What is new in v4?
tinyMediaManager v4 has some big changes as well as many fixes over v3:

+ bundled JRE and rewritten launcher (no installed Java needed any more)
+ real HiDPI support (slightly changed look and feel to achieve correct UI scaling)
+ mix in IMDB ratings for almost every scraper without the need of the universal scrapers
+ universal TV show scraper
+ completely reworked libmediainfo usage:
  - full support of reading/writing mediainfo XML files
  - better support of disc structures (.iso and VIDEO_TS/BDMV/HVDVD_TS folders)
  - several fixes for reading data out of libmediainfo
+ enhanced filter management
+ new command line interface
+ mediainfo integration for Trakt.tv
+ support for Windows taskbar / macOS dock access
+ added a true regular expression search for movies/movie set/TV show titles
+ display missing episodes in the season overview panel
+ provide artwork from TMDB for Trakt.tv search
+ added showlink support for movies
+ ...

What happens with v3?
tinyMediaManager v3 will remain available and free, but only serious bugs will be fixed and no new features will be added. A mandatory upgrade to v4 will not be necessary, but we want to provide an easy transition.

When will this step be made?
We have been working on the finalization of v4 all summer and it is already in the starting blocks (nightly builds are already available). We hope that v4 can be released in the next weeks.
tinyMediaManager - THE media manager of your choice - available for Windows, macOS and Linux
Help us translate tinyMediaManager at Weblate | Translations at 66%
Found a bug or want to submit a feature request? Contact us at GitLab
Seems fair enough to me - very modest price for a very useful tool.
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
Price seems fair to me too! 

+ universal TV show scraper : This will make it possible to use IMDB ratings with everything else on TVDB (just like the universal movie scraper)?
@Flash3d Yes this makes it possible. but there is also one more (yet undocumented) feature in v4: as long as a scraper offers the IMDB ID, we are now able to fetch the IMDB ratings on the fly. This should make the (Movie/TVshow)UniversalScraper unnecessary for most users which just want the IMDB ratings along with the TMDB/TVDB data
tinyMediaManager - THE media manager of your choice - available for Windows, macOS and Linux
(2020-09-09, 07:31)mlaggner Wrote: @Flash3d Yes this makes it possible. but there is also one more (yet undocumented) feature in v4: as long as a scraper offers the IMDB ID, we are now able to fetch the IMDB ratings on the fly. This should make the (Movie/TVshow)UniversalScraper unnecessary for most users which just want the IMDB ratings along with the TMDB/TVDB data

Great! That saves me some hassle with adding series!
If I have another feature request, where should I ask this, in this thread? 

thanks!
either a separate thread or (preferred way) directly at GitLab (https://gitlab.com/tinyMediaManager/tiny...r/-/issues). Keeping track of all feature requests/bug is a way better in GitLab than there in the forums
Looking forward to release of version 4, since switching from Mediaelch, I've grown to love this media manager and had no idea about the total effort, time, contributions and passion from the developers.  Fee is less than a monthly Netflix subscription, happy to pay.
I am a translator and received a coupon for one year of version 4, however, the text of the email said that the coupon was valid only until 2019 ....
In addition, I wish you luck in the new phase of the venture.
@Havokdan this was a typo in the first few mails we've sent - the coupon is actually valid until the end of 2020
(2020-09-09, 12:53)mlaggner Wrote: @Havokdan this was a typo in the first few mails we've sent - the coupon is actually valid until the end of 2020
I thought it was, but I thought it was important to report, I intend to wait for the official release of the stable version to use it.
(2020-09-07, 22:07)mlaggner Wrote:  

I just bought a license. This software is to important for me.
Thank you for  your work
(2020-09-08, 04:30)bossanova808 Wrote: Seems fair enough to me - very modest price for a very useful tool.

EDITED: I see it now. Ignore this post.
(2020-09-10, 12:44)darknessatnight Wrote:
(2020-09-07, 22:07)mlaggner Wrote:  

I just bought a license. This software is to important for me.
Thank you for  your work
Where to buy a version 4 license
If you are already on the v4 nightlies: on the top right icon in the toolbar.
If not - you don't need any license yet Wink
(2020-09-13, 20:54)mlaggner Wrote: If not - you don't need any license yet Wink

yes they do Big Grin
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
tinyMediaManager v4 and future plans0