Problems with eBay & Selling Kodi-capable Hardware
Wanted to check in whether any of you have experienced what I have over the last few months. As I‘ve upgraded Kodi hardware over the years or tried out out new ones, I’ve never had any issues selling what I didn’t keep on eBay... until recently.

The first issue was when I listed my Zidoo X9S for sale. eBay removed my listing and sent me a warning that I was selling something that facilitated copyright infringement or piracy, with a warning not to relist. I figured it must’ve been an error on eBay’s part—no mention of add-ons, fully loaded, etc. I despise sellers who promote or sell this stuff as it’s what’s given Kodi a bad rap. I relisted the player, taking the words ISO, MKV, DTS:X and Dolby ATMOS, etc. out, as well as anything Kodi, only providing a simple description of the condition and included accessories, and this time, it lasted 7 days and sold fine.

The second issue was with trying to sell a MeCool KM1. This time I included the words Kodi-capable, but still left out supported video and audio formats. eBay removed my listing with the same copyright infringement-enabling warning and banned me from listing for 3 days. I emailed eBay and had a lengthy exchange, but never got a clear explanation how my listing violated their policies. They kept pointing me to their policy pages, which I scanned, but didn’t see how my listing specifically violated their policies. Decided not to relist this device.

The third issue just happened. Had listed my ODROID N2 for sale, describing CoreELEC being pre-installed for Kodi use, and the device supporting 4K HDR and HD/object-based audio. eBay removed my listing citing the same copyright-infringing device warning and has now banned me from listing for 7 days.

Seems eBay is now getting more aggressive with media player listings that mention Kodi and/or certain video/audio formats. Seems they’re assuming Kodi on its own infringes or facilitates copyright violation. Frustrating as having a logical email debate with them gets one nowhere, and it especially sucks as they’re such a monopoly.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
Probably just search listings for keywords with 'Kodi' being one of them.
Yeah, see this thread https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=355677 for someone else's experience with that selling site.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
Thanks, looks like one needs to avoid the word "Kodi", and maybe even "CoreELEC" and anything "ISO", "MKV", etc. Looks like eBay is kowtowing to Hollywood/studios pressure.
I think it is a good policy.  My feeling is saying Kodi-capable just opens ebay up to Safe Harbour returns.  As a seller you have no idea how the use wants to use Kodi, what kind of media, legal or illegal they play, want Android or CE/LE or what tech skills they have etc.   I have many devices that are Kodi capable but can't deinterlace mpeg2, play high bit rates, or play on wifi etc and some take more tweaking then others.  Even the N2 isn't necessarily guaranteed capable of things like HD Netflix in CE

Martin
It's more than "Kodi" it seems... with mention of ISO, MKV, DTS:X, ATMOS all likely causing issues.
I don't think you can necessarily blame Ebay or Hollywood studios, given a few years ago Team Kodi were all but advocating the removal of 'fully-loaded kodi box' listings as they were ruining the reputation of the software. Ebay and other sellers responded by removing these entries by using the keyword 'Kodi' and people are now complaining about legit uses. I think it's a compromise, I'd rather all that fully-loaded crap is removed at the expense of a few legit listings, and to be honest if I'm buying some hardware to run Kodi I already know what I want & don't need to search ebay for a Kodi compatible box, and your average user won't be looking for an Odroid running CoreELEC without any prior knowledge of the subject.

Now if we could just get rid of those hideous 'builds' with their butchered garish skins & thousand of crappy addons, that would be a real step forward Smile
This is why we cant have nice things is what comes to mind. In this case because people generally assume Kodi = piracy they are afraid of potential legal action and rightfully so. While the average home user may never see it, big sites like ebay will inevitably get attacked for selling them.

I avoid it altogether and just build custom boxes using Ubuntu. Gives me a desktop + media center. And I know I can generally trust it vs god knows what they put in those little things.
Of course they will remove it, your trying to sell a android box as a kodi box. No reason to put kodi name with it. Did you include all the other apps names that you can use on it. Eg Google, Facebook, alexa etc? If not why just kodi. Ebay will be thinking that and see it like that , you selling a kodi box that could be fully loaded. You said u didn't say fully loaded etc. But they might think, you could message the buyers if they want it fully load. I'm glad the pulled it be because it means they are on top of.

But really, there was no need to included kodi's name.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Problems with eBay & Selling Kodi-capable Hardware0