• 28(current)
Android "Google Chromecast with Google TV" dongle with a new "Google TV" ecosystem and UI
Chromecast with Google TV - how is it regarding audio passthrough to AVR ? There is no mention about DTS in specs, does it work ? DTS 5.1, DTS 5.1 HD-MA, DTS 7.1 HD-MA, DTS:X. Thanx
(2021-05-03, 13:17)jarosujo Wrote: Chromecast with Google TV - how is it regarding audio passthrough to AVR ? There is no mention about DTS in specs, does it work ? DTS 5.1, DTS 5.1 HD-MA, DTS 7.1 HD-MA, DTS:X. Thanx

AFAIK, you can passthrough: DD, DD+ and DTS. Only the Shield can passthrough lossless audio on Android TV.

You should be able to do multi-channel PCM which would bring lossless audio but remove Atmos/X.
(2021-05-03, 13:02)Sjors125 Wrote:
(2021-04-23, 00:22)Sjors125 Wrote: My Chromecast with Google TV is doing strange things, so I did a factory reset and only installed Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Disney+ and Kodi
In Kodi, I only installed another scraper (Universal Movie Scraper) everything else in Kodi is standard

1. in the Chromecasst settings, it thinks my tv is only 1080p 60 Hz, while it is a 4k & Dolby Vision capable LG OLED C7 in fact. The option to change this is greyed out. Thus Kodi thinks I have a 1080p tv too. Why? I have it connected like this: original powerbrick → Aukey USB C Hub with ethernet → Chromecast → Marantz SR7011 (also 4k & Dolby Vision capable) → LC OLED C7. If I change my setup and connect the Chromecast directly to my tv, the Chromecast thinks it is a 4k tv, but Kodi still thinks it is a 1080p tv. Why? I changed it again (not turning of Kodi, the Chromecast, tv and receiver, just unplugged it form my tv and plugged it in my receiver again, while everything was still one, and now my Chromecast thinks it is a 4k tv. Kodi still thinks it is only 1080p
  2.  if I choose "auto match content" everything looks washed out. But with a HDR tv, you should choose to auto match content, am I correct?
  3. in Kodi I cannot play some of my movies, because A. They stutter like hell, or B. don't start at all. Strange thing is, when I use VLC on this Chromecast, it is working flawlessly
  4. I don't know what audio settings to chose in Kodi. As it is connected via HDMI I should chose passthrough, as far as I know. Doesn't it matter how many channels I select? It says it has no influence on passthrough, but the passthrough options changed when setting audio channels (enable DD AC3 transcoding option is there when I select 2.0, but not there when I select 5.1 or 7.1 for example) 
Anyone that can help me solve this?

Anyone?

How do I setup my CCGTV + Kodi so that it understands that I have a 4k Dolby Vision capable TV and a 4k Dolby Vision, HD Audio capable AV-receiver?
And why CCGTV +Kodi can't play some movies that CCGTV + VLC has no problem with?
Still no one that knows what the best settings for Kodi and the CCGTV are?
Or why VLC has no problems playing movies, but Kodi does?
Anyone seeing hard freezes/reboots when playing Dolby Vision content from the AppleTV app?
And now starting to run out of space Sad A problem I never had with the AFTV4K stick, never had to think about adding extra storage.
(2020-10-18, 15:41)noggin Wrote:
(2020-10-18, 04:25)gizmomel Wrote: I picked up my two Google TV + Chromecasts from a local retailer on Thursday (Australia) and have been quite impressed with the brief play around I've had so far - I had a quick trial playing a movie (24fps) on 1080p60 and couldn't see any stutter streaming over 2.4GHz wifi.

Hmm - 24fps content displayed correctly at 60fps and viewed at 60fps will always have 3:2 stutter (assuming 3:2 cadence is used to get from 24 to 60). However :

yeah I ended up switching back to my old amlogic S905 chipset based android media player (running CoreElec) as the judder from non-adaptive framerates annoyed me too much when watching movies or older PAL content.  Also the lack of DTS passthrough on the LG CX TV itself was a huge annoyance - so now the S905 media player is connected to HDMI 1 input on my SN11RG sound bar and E-ARC connected between the TV and soundbar - adaptive framerate works, native DTS/DTS-HD/DTS:X/Atmos etc. all decoded by the sound bar and in sync.  It supports HDR10 video, not Dolby Vision - but I'm not seeing that much difference (DV allows different gamma levels between scenes, so not enough of a loss imo when compared to the better audio experience).  Oh and I was really happy decoding my SACDs to DTS .WAV format and it 'just working'.

So it's a goodbye from me to the Google chromecast.
Android 12 for Android TV will finally bring native 4K UI and refresh rate switching
https://www.xda-developers.com/android-1...resh-rate/

Will this finally solve the refresh rate issue once and for all?

For existing devices, do they even receive major firmware updates from Google in the first place?

Otherwise I guess it's necessary to wait until the next model is released with the new features included?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge please click the 'Thumb Up - Like' button to show me your appreciation :)
For YouTube questions see the official thread here.
(2021-07-15, 05:49)jmh2002 Wrote: Will this finally solve the refresh rate issue once and for all?
NO , it's not "New" Refresh Rate Switching.

https://android-developers.googleblog.co...s-now.html
It's old  API level 23 Display.Mode (Android 6.0) , but now :
Quote:Android 12 now supports seamless and non-seamless refresh rate switching.

supposed is reference to HDMI 2.1 - Quick Media Switching (QMS) .
Quote:Apps can now integrate these settings for playback of content at optimal frame rates. 

Like before must be implementing by vOD provider.
LG OLED 55E8 - M9702(oppo 203) -  Dinobot U5PVR(Enigma 2) - Meccol KI pro(COREelec) - Sony PS5
AndroidPremiumPlayer blog - HI - Frequency Switcher 
(2021-07-15, 14:40)looun Wrote:
(2021-07-15, 05:49)jmh2002 Wrote: Will this finally solve the refresh rate issue once and for all?

Quote:Apps can now integrate these settings for playback of content at optimal frame rates. 

So given the indifference Netflix, Amazon, Disney etc. had to implementing this prior to Android TV 12, do we think this gives them any reason to implement it now?  It's so depressing...

The only platform worth using for any of these DRM services seems to be the Apple TV 4K.  It's the only one that has proper frame rate and dynamic range switching supported by pretty much all of the major streaming apps.
Ok thanks guys, it's a pity still.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge please click the 'Thumb Up - Like' button to show me your appreciation :)
For YouTube questions see the official thread here.
(2021-07-15, 17:59)noggin Wrote:
(2021-07-15, 14:40)looun Wrote:

So given the indifference Netflix, Amazon, Disney etc. had to implementing this prior to Android TV 12, do we think this gives them any reason to implement it now?  It's so depressing...

i had read about on reddit  a google survey about "auto frequency switching" , lot of people don't like "black screen" so google doesn't have developed this function.
So maybe now with "non-seamless" (no black screen ) , google have update API Display.Mode for auto frequency switching.... we hope .
LG OLED 55E8 - M9702(oppo 203) -  Dinobot U5PVR(Enigma 2) - Meccol KI pro(COREelec) - Sony PS5
(2021-07-16, 09:32)looun Wrote:
(2021-07-15, 17:59)noggin Wrote:
(2021-07-15, 14:40)looun Wrote: NO , it's not "New" Refresh Rate Switching.

i had read about on reddit  a google survey about "auto frequency switching" , lot of people don't like "black screen" so google doesn't have developed this function.
So maybe now with "non-seamless" (no black screen ) , google have update API Display.Mode for auto frequency switching.... we hope .
I don't think any of us expect 'Auto' frequency switching - that would be REALLY annoying on TVs with black-screen on frequency switches (that's why Roku disabled their auto frequency switching on Netflix - because 24/25fps switching on autoplay trailers got annoying very quickly). I can see why Google wouldn't implement that at the OS level (just as Apple and Amazon haven't).

I think app-controlled switching - as on the Apple TV - is still the best route (and it's easier to implement with DRM as you don't need any access to the now-playing video stream to detect refresh rate - it's separate metadata that the app passes to the OS). 

The important thing is to get app developers to do it - as they have on tvOS apps on the Apple TV.
(2021-07-16, 12:42)noggin Wrote:
(2021-07-16, 09:32)looun Wrote:
(2021-07-15, 17:59)noggin Wrote: So given the indifference Netflix, Amazon, Disney etc. had to implementing this prior to Android TV 12, do we think this gives them any reason to implement it now?  It's so depressing...

I think app-controlled switching - as on the Apple TV - is still the best route (and it's easier to implement with DRM as you don't need any access to the now-playing video stream to detect refresh rate - it's separate metadata that the app passes to the OS). 
Apple TV should be a "global" auto-switching , the setting is for system player. Apps don't have control ,right?
(2021-07-16, 16:45)looun Wrote:
(2021-07-16, 12:42)noggin Wrote:
(2021-07-16, 09:32)looun Wrote: i had read about on reddit  a google survey about "auto frequency switching" , lot of people don't like "black screen" so google doesn't have developed this function.

Apple TV should be a "global" auto-switching , the setting is for system player. Apps don't have control ,right?
Not right.  You are misunderstanding how tvOS handles refresh rate switching.

The global setting that enables frame rate matching is a setting that enables apps to control the refresh rate, it doesn't enable OS-detection of the refresh rate of video being played.  That setting isn't 'Enable Auto Refresh Rate' it's 'Enable App Controlled Refresh Rate' in reality. 

When the Frame Rate setting is enabled in Settings, it allows apps to signal to the OS that they are playing video at a certain refresh rate, and this triggers the OS to change the Apple TV output refresh rate.  It isn't automatic - it's controlled by the code in the app.  

https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/tech-talks/503/.  (NB 1000/1001 mode support is now there I believe)

if you watch that - apps have to enable the match-frame rate switching within them AND HLS playlists also have to have frame rate information in them, and there is guidance about how to code apps to use frame rate switches intelligently.

For instance - if I am in Netflix, and have 2160p50 as my standard refresh rate, and then play a 2160p23.976 show, the Netflix app tells tvOS that the video being played should change frame rate and the Apple TV changes output refresh rate when it starts playing.   This 'feels' automatic - but it isn't, it requires the app to support it.

If, however, the Netflix app autoplays a 23.976p trailer for the same show in the UI, the refresh rate stays at 2160p50 because the Netflix app has told tvOS not to change frame rate, and so you don't get a black-screen as the TV re-syncs.  (This is what used to happen with Roku devices that DID have automatic refresh rate switching - and is why Roku disabled it entirely in Netflix - and why my Roku is now never used...)

You see the ATV 4K refresh rate switching is NOT entirely automatic, it requires apps to be coded to use it (though it may be easier to code than Android TV's).  Effectively it's the same as Android TV's - except for some reason app developers use it in tvOS but don't in Android TV?
Maybe i am in wrong .. This site report a new function:
https://9to5google-com.cdn.ampproject.or...-design%2F
Quote:Match content frame rate
As Google announced in its own changelog, Android TV 12 Beta 3 brings a new option to “match content frame rate.” This is under the “Display & Sound” section and includes the options shown below.
  • 28(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
"Google Chromecast with Google TV" dongle with a new "Google TV" ecosystem and UI0