• 6(current)
Android "Google Chromecast with Google TV" dongle with a new "Google TV" ecosystem and UI
(2020-10-04, 14:36)fritsch Wrote: Edit: Thanks for your 8 bit explanation, that makes sense. Yeah I did not think how intel does it for a moment. Curious if I see that with my eyes, from mathematical computation it's sadly a lot.

Off topic - but most broadcast 1080i and 1080p HD SDR content is produced/mastered in 4:2:2 10-bit SDR (and has been for a while). When you see 8-bit h.264 4:2:0 as it arrives in the home, covered in 8-bit banding (not helped by heavy compression), and compare it to the 10-bit broadcast master, particularly on demanding content, it's like night and day sadly.

I've remastered some SDR 1080i25 4:2:2 10-bit AVCi100 100Mbs broadcast masters (in my day job I deal with broadcast video) to SDR 1080p50 or 1080p25 4:2:0 10-bit HEVC/h.265 at a decent bit rate - and they look great. (HEVC/h.265 10-bit decode and playback support isn't just for HDR Wink )
We will find out. For now, the Firetv 4K offers more for a lower price :-) - and if we tell that to them - perhaps they will do sth about it.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Hi everyone,

New to this forum, and new to Kodi. Long story short, I've been using the old chromecast for a couple of years, together with my own content (downloaded 1080p movies, with subtitles från opensubtitles.org). I like the chromecast because it's part of google's ecosystem and I do use youtube/music etc from Google. To be able to cast my content to my chromecast, I'm today running a Plex server on my PC, same network - which is then transcoding everything to the chromecast.

As you might already now, Plex is super buggy and has glitches pretty much everywhere. The second bigger downside is the need for transcoding, it means that I can't do 4k today because that would probably push my PC to it's limit given transcoding 4k requires alot of power.

So, I was glad to see this new chromecast with Google TV. I've been looking into getting the Vero 4k+ but now with this release, I must say I do prefer the chromecast solution. Do you reckon I'll be able to use the new chromecast to show my downloaded content in 4k HDR using this new chromecast with Kodi? I should add that I also almost always use burned in subtitles from opensubtitles.org.

Or, am i better off getting a Vero 4k+? I'm not an enthusiast in anyway - I just want to be able to play my content without hassle and have it in 4k / HDR going forward (upgrading TV soon).

As mentioned, I prefer the simplicity of a chromecast, and with Android TV I'll be able to use my local tv stations apps too... I want to avoid having "two" solutions (one chromecast and one vero for example).

Vol
(2020-10-04, 17:17)volatyle Wrote: As you might already now, Plex is super buggy and has glitches pretty much everywhere. The second bigger downside is the need for transcoding, it means that I can't do 4k today because that would probably push my PC to it's limit given transcoding 4k requires alot of power.
You might want to try the Composite addon for Kodi, I use it for watching Plex content and have no problems with forced transcoding or bugs/glitches. Of course, I don't cast anything but just use a dedicated device. I never saw the appeal of casting, seems to be a rather poor way to handle your media.
(2020-10-04, 18:18)FXB78 Wrote:
(2020-10-04, 17:17)volatyle Wrote: As you might already now, Plex is super buggy and has glitches pretty much everywhere. The second bigger downside is the need for transcoding, it means that I can't do 4k today because that would probably push my PC to it's limit given transcoding 4k requires alot of power.
You might want to try the Composite addon for Kodi, I use it for watching Plex content and have no problems with forced transcoding or bugs/glitches.
The only thing I use Plex for is downloaded content (movies) so I think I actually don't need it at all, if I start running Kodi - and I have to upgrade my Chromecast/Media device anyway as 1080p is max right now and I want to go 4k.

Vol
(2020-10-04, 16:52)fritsch Wrote: We will find out. For now, the Firetv 4K offers more for a lower price :-) - and if we tell that to them - perhaps they will do sth about it.
Agree, including being faster over wi-fi. With Stick 4K, I get from anywhere in the mid-200's to low 300's (depending on location in the house). Here's my iperf3 wi-fi result w/Chromecast Google TV (posting screenshot as I forgot command to output to a text file)...
(2020-10-04, 09:25)fritsch Wrote: One addition concerning DTS-HD, that you see. With v19 I implemented distinguishing between DTS-HD-HR and DTS-HD-MA, that means if you device can open IEC with 192 khz, it is enough bandwidth for DTS-HD-HR and therefore you see DTS-HD in your settings. From DTS-HD-MA only the DTS Core will be played, while DTS-HD-HR will output as is. There are not many with with DTS-HD-HR, one is Tron Legacy, which was my test file.

I am more concerned now about your HDR 8 vs. 10 bit results. Did they at least do Tone-Mapping? Or let me state it that way: What do you mean by HDR works, but only 8 bit? <- technically that makes limited sense without further explanation.
Confirming DTS-HD HRA 5.1 & 7.1 passthrough fine...

With regard to HDR 8 vs. 10-bit results, here's what I get whether I connect my GTV dongle via my AVR or directly to my Epson 5050UB. And, even from these screenshots, you can see Shield TV's PQ is superior...

Also tried testing on my Vizio M658-G1, but unfortunately the Info button gives very limited info on signal it's getting (just shows 2160p HDR, nothing else). Hopefully someone w/HDFury will post results.

Next, tried Dolby Vision using my Vizio. I haven't kept up with local DV playback development much, but none of these MakeMKV samples play in DV, only HDR10. I assume Kodi 19 doesn't yet support DV in MKV. Also, sideloaded ExoPlayer off Google Play, recalling reading somewhere it played DV files, but the app kept crashing when trying to open on GTV. Any suggestions for testing DV MKV's?

The more I use the GTV UI, the more I dislike it, at least in its present form. If I subscribed to multiple premium streaming apps, I'd probably feel the opposite. But, for mostly local media fans, Android TV UI is superior...
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
Amazon's FireTv interface already has the ability to search across multiple streaming providers, and it shows you all the ways to watch if multiple services carry a title.
It also has recommendations aka ads. And voice search. All in a device that was frequently on sale for $25-35 and seems to do everything better. FireStick also has a much better remote.

No idea why Google Tv is causing such a fuss when they basically copied everything from Amazon. Its worse at most things except using Assistant for voice search and I'm sure their smart recommendations and integration with rest of Google will be better.

For people with mostly local media, I wanted the ability to have a cheaper device for full format playback (vs the overpriced Shield) AND have official 3rd party apps, casting etc (which other such devices  that are best for Kodi lack). But it seems no luck.

AFAIK the Amlogic chipset is perfectly capable of both correct refresh rate switching as well as lossless audio bistreaming, and both of these are software limitations in Android or deliberately disabled - correct?
FTV aggregates & curates across Netflix, Disney+, etc. to show results? Didn't think it did... thought just for Prime content.
(2020-10-04, 16:52)fritsch Wrote: We will find out. For now, the Firetv 4K offers more for a lower price :-) - and if we tell that to them - perhaps they will do sth about it.

Yep I agree with that as well.

(2020-10-05, 03:29)MrCrispy Wrote: AFAIK the Amlogic chipset is perfectly capable of both correct refresh rate switching as well as lossless audio bistreaming, and both of these are software limitations in Android or deliberately disabled - correct?

Lossless bitstreaming will be a AML Firmware limitation because this is firmly a paid for Apps streaming platform that only needs 2.0 PCM , 5.1 DD, DD+/Atmos audio only.

Refresh Switching is firmly in Google's control, they cannot even implement it on their very own device for streaming their own TV Shows and Movies from their very own servers so what hope is there for other video streaming providers !

Even Amazon and Apple implement Refresh Switching for their own Prime and ATV+/iTunes streaming services for example.
Google has no excuses anymore.

(2020-10-05, 03:39)hdmkv Wrote: FTV aggregates & curates across Netflix, Disney+, etc. to show results? Didn't think it did... thought just for Prime content.

If I do a search it will find content across many services. 
The main screen shows 'Recommended from Netflix', 'recommended by HBO' etc.
I can also say 'search for abcd on Netflix' or 'open abcd on netflix'
for a title that is on multiple services, it shows a 'ways to watch' just like the new GoogleTv does which lists all the options and the prices.

it doesn't seem to be well known but it does do all this.
(2020-10-05, 03:47)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2020-10-05, 03:29)MrCrispy Wrote: AFAIK the Amlogic chipset is perfectly capable of both correct refresh rate switching as well as lossless audio bistreaming, and both of these are software limitations in Android or deliberately disabled - correct?

Lossless bitstreaming will be a AML Firmware limitation because this is firmly a paid for Apps streaming platform that only needs 2.0 PCM , 5.1 DD, DD+/Atmos audio only.

Refresh Switching is firmly in Google's control, they cannot even implement it on their very own device for streaming their own TV Shows and Movies from their very own servers so what hope is there for other video streaming providers !

Even Amazon and Apple implement Refresh Switching for their own Prime and ATV+/iTunes streaming services for example.
Google has no excuses anymore.

Thanks. So in conclusion Google could fix the refresh rate issues (and may in Android 11) but likely won't as they don't seem to be bothered. And HD bitstreaming is a hw limitation on all these devices incl FireStick, GoogleTv, Tivo, MiBox etc that all use same chipset family.

Why is it that an Odroid can do hw decoding of everything as well as lossless audio for much cheaper? I'm sure there are others too.
(2020-10-05, 04:01)MrCrispy Wrote: Why is it that an Odroid can do hw decoding of everything as well as lossless audio for much cheaper? I'm sure there are others too.

It cannot. It has the same limitations when running any Android OS because basically you are using the same underlying v4.9 Linux Kernel.

You can however Root the N2 Android OS and use a pretty effective Android - Auto Frame Rate Daemon Helper App to get auto refresh switching working:
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2891405

The Linux based CoreELEC OS of course has no such limitations.

(2020-10-05, 06:42)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2020-10-05, 04:01)MrCrispy Wrote: Why is it that an Odroid can do hw decoding of everything as well as lossless audio for much cheaper? I'm sure there are others too.

It cannot. It has the same limitations when running any Android OS because basically you are using the same underlying v4.9 Linux Kernel.

You can however Root the N2 Android OS and use a pretty effective Android - Auto Frame Rate Daemon Helper App to get auto refresh switching working:

What I was trying to say was that I didn't think Odroid hardware had any limitations preventing lossless audio or refresh rate matching. Whereas the Amlogic SOC seems unable to do lossless audio but can do refresh rate matching. Is this correct?
(2020-10-05, 10:17)MrCrispy Wrote:
(2020-10-05, 06:42)wrxtasy Wrote:

What I was trying to say was that I didn't think Odroid hardware had any limitations preventing lossless audio or refresh rate matching. Whereas the Amlogic SOC seems unable to do lossless audio but can do refresh rate matching. Is this correct?

The ODroid N2 (S922X) and C4 (S905X3) (and other CoreElec-running boxes) are based on AMLogic hardware -  and very similar AMLogic SoCs to the Chromecast with Google TV (S905D3).  The difference that causes the limitations is the OS the Google/Android devices are running - not the hardware.

The Google stuff only supports the codecs that legitimate content they expect to be played on their devices are produced in - DD/DD+/DD+ with Atmos, PCM 2.0 (for MP3, AAC, FLAC and OGG etc. based streaming audio services), and for some reason DTS (though not sure why).  There are no legitimate sources of DTS HD MA, HRA or Dolby True HD - they are only really present on Blu-ray rips - which are not sources that corporate streaming manufacturers consider needed to be supported. (*)

Amazon are not perfect in this regard though - they operate an 'HD Music' service that won't output in 'HD' on their own hardware.  Try getting an Amazon Fire TV device to stream 44.1/24bit, 96/24 bit etc. in PCM at the native sample rate and bit depth rather than downsampled to 16 bit or compressed to DD+/DD...

(*) nVidia are a notable exception to this - but they aren't part of any TV/Movie streaming service of their own - unlike Google and Amazon.
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
"Google Chromecast with Google TV" dongle with a new "Google TV" ecosystem and UI0