Android "Google Chromecast with Google TV" dongle with a new "Google TV" ecosystem and UI
(2020-10-01, 02:23)MrCrispy Wrote: just posted on Avs - 

First, the good:
  • Dynamic Range Switching works well in most apps (Tested Netflix, Disney+, Amazon Prime, Plex, Kodi)
  • Correctly switches between Rec. 709 & Rec. 2020 color spaces
  • Doesn't work in Movies Anywhere for some reason
  • Passes through correct HDR10 metadata, including MaxCLL, and MaxFALL
  • Chroma upsampling is good, the same as other recent Amlogic chipset-based devices I've tested (ODroid N2)
  • Supports CEC and IR remote control
  • Speed is really good, not up to the Shield TV, but it's also 1/3 the price or less
  • Frame rate can be manually set, only 23.976Hz, 25Hz, 29.97Hz, 50Hz, and 59.94Hz supported
  • The UI shows them as whole integer frame rates, but I've confirmed via HDFury Integral 2 that they are not actually integer frame rates

Now, the bad:
  • HDR10 content has raised black levels
  • No passthrough of Lossless Audio Codecs
  • No automatic refresh rate switching
  • Refresh rate app does not work
  • No automatic refresh rate toggle in settings
  • Confused by this one, I thought I saw it reported somewhere else that it does, but nothing exists that I can find
  • Plex & Kodi don't support automatic refresh rate switching
  • MPEG2 Live TV direct plays in Plex, but has pretty bad stuttering issues, whether interlaced or progressive (maybe being software decoded?)
  • Voice search does not support Plex/Kodi
  • 24.00, 60.00 refresh rates are not supported, even when manually setting
the good is really good, especially for the price. But the lack of automatic refresh rate switch (especially in kodi), lossless audio codec passthrough (the voice search not working in kodi is to be expected though) are killer and that means it still can't replace a vero 4k+. If you want a full home theatre experience, that's probably the best bet still. But for a casual living room thing, this would suffice 95% of users. Thanks...this is a very informative post.

Messages In This Thread
RE: "Google Chromecast with Google TV" dongle with a new "Google TV" ecosystem and UI - by truthlesshero - 2020-10-01, 02:33
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
"Google Chromecast with Google TV" dongle with a new "Google TV" ecosystem and UI0