• 13(current)
Android "Google Chromecast with Google TV" dongle with a new "Google TV" ecosystem and UI
I know you as a Kodi dev think it in a different way because Kodi is a platform and these boxes are just different hardware with firmware below it. I as an end user only think Kodi as another app, along side the apps like YouTube, NetFlix etc. For example, Google's own YouTube app do framerate matching on both Roku and Apple TV 4K automatically, just not on its own Android TV platforms.
My apologies if this question has been answered but from the Google TV movie tab (Or any Google TV tab) can you see Kodi movies and TV shows?

Office: Google TV | Kodi 20.0 | Samsung 50"                         \  Movies: 2734
Master Bedroom: Google TV | Kodi 20.0 | Samsung 43"     \  Music: Artist 220 |  Albums 1001 | Songs 106995
TheaterGoogle TV | Kodi  20.0 | Samsung 75"                    \  TV Shows: 62 |  Seasons 218 | Episodes 3858
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@foxbat121 does have a point - Windows has had much tighter requirements and control over device capabilities and standardized drivers. Android is open source and by design allows a lot of customization - Google historically doesnt care a bit about what a vendor does or what they support, or what an oem like Samsung does in their implementation. All they care about is whether its certified for Google Play Services.

Google themselves do a pretty bad job of implementing their own APIs. Windows is famous for bending over backwards to ensure 100% backwards compatibility and ensure nothing breaks. No one else, Linux/MacOS/Android comes close.
(2020-10-17, 00:40)hoopsdavis Wrote: My apologies if this question has been answered but from the Google TV movie tab (Or any Google TV tab) can you see Kodi movies and TV shows?
Nope, nothing.
(2020-10-16, 20:54)foxbat121 Wrote: In the case of Apple TV and Roku, both have system level option to match framerates
That's not the case for tvOS on Apple TV - in that enabling that system setting doesn't force all applications to automatically change frame rate, it still requires application support.

Apple TV's tvOS still requires apps to implement the correct frame rate matching API, the system setting just enabler or disables that API changing the output refresh rate. A number of apps don't use the API and won't change the output refresh rate, but more apps do seem to support the API than on Fire OS or Android. Whilst it's correct that it's a system level setting in tvOS - that just means it's a system level setting to enable it to happen, it doesn't force it to happen in all video playing apps.

Roku IS a system level setting - but Netflix is (or was) an app that is disabled from working with it - because of the auto-run trailers triggering re-syncs as you switched from a 24 to 25fps show.
I have finally received mine in the UK and I have to say I am severely underwhelmed by it, I can’t think of anything praise worthy about it.

I own 2 4K firestick, Chromecast Ultra, Chromecast Gen 3, Shield Pro 2019 and Shield 2017 As well as the Zidoo Z9X, this is the biggest waste of money out of all of them.
I got mine yesterday. Wifi is better than 4k FTV, CEC Volume Control on a Hisense 4k TV does not work as it worked with 4k FTV. The Appsearch via Assistant does not really work, it mostly shows results from youtube.  Rolleyes
(2020-10-17, 09:59)DaMacFunkin Wrote: I have finally received mine in the UK and I have to say I am severely underwhelmed by it, I can’t think of anything praise worthy about it.

I own 2 4K firestick, Chromecast Ultra, Chromecast Gen 3, Shield Pro 2019 and Shield 2017 As well as the Zidoo Z9X, this is the biggest waste of money out of all of them.

It is pretty cheap...  The Netflix bundle in the UK is worth £53 (they credit that to your account), and the bundled version costs £89 - so if you're a Netflix user the CC with GTV only costs you £36. That's not bad for a 4K Dolby Vision + Dolby Atmos TV stick with a neat RF voice remote, decent power supply and decent industrial design.  If you don't take the Netflix offer then the Fire TV Stick 4K is better value I guess.

If it supported frame rate switching and HD Audio it would be a lot better of course... (I can see the former being implemented potentially at some point, but not the latter)
I got mine yesterday. Could not yet motivate myself to plug it in. The package, the sewing though is looking quite nice. Let's see if the remote is too small or nice to use.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
I picked up my two Google TV + Chromecasts from a local retailer on Thursday (Australia) and have been quite impressed with the brief play around I've had so far - I had a quick trial playing a movie (24fps) on 1080p60 and couldn't see any stutter streaming over 2.4GHz wifi.

Possibly not a specific question for this device - but how can I load Kodi using the voice assistant / or get Koid to play a specific movie or tv show please using voice?  Does Kodi 18.x support voice assistant?  ie: I was playing around and as 'ok google switch on the tv" and it worked, so thought maybe I can use other voice commands to load up Kodi etc.

Secondly is there a quick guide to creating the database for movies and tv on a NAS, so I can centralise media watching for these devices?

thank you.
(2020-10-18, 04:25)gizmomel Wrote: Secondly is there a quick guide to creating the database for movies and tv on a NAS, so I can centralise media watching for these devices?

thank you.

Use Plex to scrape/index all Movies and TV shows data on a NAS / PC / Mac.

Then use Kodi and the Kodi Composite (Plex) Addon to browse that Plex library:

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=351179

Smile

thanks @wrxtasy hope that addon works on google+ android Smile
(2020-10-18, 04:25)gizmomel Wrote: I picked up my two Google TV + Chromecasts from a local retailer on Thursday (Australia) and have been quite impressed with the brief play around I've had so far - I had a quick trial playing a movie (24fps) on 1080p60 and couldn't see any stutter streaming over 2.4GHz wifi.

Hmm - 24fps content displayed correctly at 60fps and viewed at 60fps will always have 3:2 stutter (assuming 3:2 cadence is used to get from 24 to 60). However :

1. Some people don't really notice this (lucky them - all my family do... (*))
2. Some 120Hz or higher refresh rate TVs have a mode that detects the 3:2 cadence and removes it and displays 24fps at 5:5 120Hz instead.
3. Some TVs with Motion Flow/Natural Motion etc. motion smoothing will smooth out the 3:2 judder (or remove it but also interpolate the 24fps content to 60 or higher fps - sometimes known as 'Soap Opera Effect' - though if you're in Aus your soaps like Neighbours and Home and Away are now shot at 25Hz not 50Hz so it doesn't apply)

(*) When we started watching Blu-rays instead of DVDs on our first gen 50/60Hz HDTV - we had to watch 24fps Blu-rays at 60Hz with 3:2, whereas our DVDs had always been 25fps at 50Hz with 2:2. The judder was just too noticeable for us - I had to get a 24p-friendly HDTV to replace our first one with ASAP...
I think I use the time to explain how that works in kodi and how this results in a 3:2 cadence (I used random value,s but that's okay for the first 16 pictures).

Let's assume 5 pictures with their starting time on display:
1:0,2:42,3:84,4:126,5:168

With the 60 hz tick

For the picture queue above the final time it is allowed on screen is (always 1 less then the new one would start).
Therefore the following happens:
[0,16,32] -> PIC1 (3)
[48,64,80] -> PIC2 (3)
[96,112] -> PIC3 (2)
[128,144, 160] ->PIC4 (3)
[176, ...] -> PIC 5 (3)
(2)

And there you get the Cadence. This principle kodi does for everything, after choosing something that "matches" a bit better than others. Here also comes Sync Playback to Display into play, where e.g. 23.976 is speed up to 24.0 so that it fits more nicely. Therefore: Please if you cannot really match the refreshrate with an integer division, turn on Sync Playback to Display, which will disable passthrough, but "optimize" this effect a bit. 23.976 on 60 hz would be hardcore horrible, though most TVs have at least a 59.9xy mode, where it works as shown above with PT.

This is btw. also a reason why even dump TVs can do 60 and 59.9x hz.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2020-10-16, 11:32)noggin Wrote:
(2020-10-16, 10:34)looun Wrote: hi, app "refresh rate" work?

I don't think the refresh rate changing apps like TVHZ work. I'll check in a moment.
app "refresh rate" use different API Display.Mode  (API Level 23/android 9), so i have understood.
LG OLED 55E8 - M9702(oppo 203) -  Dinobot U5PVR(Enigma 2) - Meccol KI pro(COREelec) - Sony PS5
AndroidPremiumPlayer blog - HI - Frequency Switcher 
  • 13(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
"Google Chromecast with Google TV" dongle with a new "Google TV" ecosystem and UI0