Android "Google Chromecast with Google TV" dongle with a new "Google TV" ecosystem and UI
(2020-10-18, 04:25)gizmomel Wrote: I picked up my two Google TV + Chromecasts from a local retailer on Thursday (Australia) and have been quite impressed with the brief play around I've had so far - I had a quick trial playing a movie (24fps) on 1080p60 and couldn't see any stutter streaming over 2.4GHz wifi.

Hmm - 24fps content displayed correctly at 60fps and viewed at 60fps will always have 3:2 stutter (assuming 3:2 cadence is used to get from 24 to 60). However :

1. Some people don't really notice this (lucky them - all my family do... (*))
2. Some 120Hz or higher refresh rate TVs have a mode that detects the 3:2 cadence and removes it and displays 24fps at 5:5 120Hz instead.
3. Some TVs with Motion Flow/Natural Motion etc. motion smoothing will smooth out the 3:2 judder (or remove it but also interpolate the 24fps content to 60 or higher fps - sometimes known as 'Soap Opera Effect' - though if you're in Aus your soaps like Neighbours and Home and Away are now shot at 25Hz not 50Hz so it doesn't apply)

(*) When we started watching Blu-rays instead of DVDs on our first gen 50/60Hz HDTV - we had to watch 24fps Blu-rays at 60Hz with 3:2, whereas our DVDs had always been 25fps at 50Hz with 2:2. The judder was just too noticeable for us - I had to get a 24p-friendly HDTV to replace our first one with ASAP...

Messages In This Thread
RE: "Google Chromecast with Google TV" dongle with a new "Google TV" ecosystem and UI - by noggin - 2020-10-18, 15:41
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
"Google Chromecast with Google TV" dongle with a new "Google TV" ecosystem and UI0