Android "Google Chromecast with Google TV" dongle with a new "Google TV" ecosystem and UI
(2020-10-14, 21:36)droidkid Wrote:
(2020-10-08, 20:05)Damien67 Wrote:
(2020-10-07, 19:34)droidkid Wrote: Interesting I just built a file server with OpenMediaVault on my Raspberry Pi but I setup an SMB share maybe I'll give NFS a shot, In the past I've always used SMB shares so this is new to me.

No issue for me with SMB...
As with any new Kodi install, I drop my advancedsettings.xml, Mediasources.xml and sources.xml into the userdata folder, close/re-open Kodi, and that's it. Instantly connected to my SQL databases and everything plays without an issue. As a matter of fact, I couldn't use X-plore to connect my SMB shares to get to those files, so I used Kodi's file manager, added my SMB server's info, and could copy paste those files directly from the share to the userdata folder. Not sure why others are bashing Google not supporting this.
Also, as a FYI, my samba server is ran in a docker container (https://github.com/dperson/samba) in a Debian server.

As for my first thoughts on the CCWGTV, which I bought to stop using Visio's Smartcast platform on a P65-F1 (slow), to take advantage of my receiver's capabilities that can't go through HDMI 2.0 ARC (no ATMOS for example), and to not need a PC for Kodi alone:

- The name absolutely sucks. Googling anything gives tons of Chromecast results...have to filter "last week" to get relevant results. Google's marketing employee who signed off on this should be fired
- Device is pretty snappy!
- Apps available in the play store like any other Android device. Those that aren't can be sideloaded easily
- Kodi works very well, 1080p / 4k content without issue
- Main audio formats worked (DTS, DTS-MA, DD), but Dolby HD and AAC come as PCM stereo (tried both 18.8 and 19.0Alpha2)
- No problem with Netflix / Amazon Prime / Youtube
- I always had ambilights connected via serial (ESP8266 w/ WLED) to PC...I successfully got is working installing Hyperion in my server and installing Hyperion Android Grabber. Works OK with 1080p content, 4K is no go. One frame per 2 seconds...I guess too CPU demanding

Overall I am very pleased so far.
I do also have a ShieldTV (2015) in my living room, for a quarter the price Google got us a nice little device!

Thanks for the info! Side bar question on your file server. I set mine up with SMB and people are telling me NFS is better. I'm guessing you have had this setup for a while do you see any benefit with starting with NFS?
Sorry for the late answer...your reply got lost in the refresh rate multi page debate lol.
I have used SMB for years, and find it most compatible. NFS may be better and more performant, but I am not sure it matters with today's CPUs. I can play a 4k movie from my SMB share without issue, and I don't see any spike in resource usage on my server.
I don't know...up to you!

Messages In This Thread
RE: "Google Chromecast with Google TV" dongle with a new "Google TV" ecosystem and UI - by Damien67 - 2020-10-26, 15:40
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
"Google Chromecast with Google TV" dongle with a new "Google TV" ecosystem and UI0