Android "Google Chromecast with Google TV" dongle with a new "Google TV" ecosystem and UI
(2020-12-17, 06:58)SEIKT Wrote:
(2020-12-16, 20:25)Tamas.Toth.ebola Wrote: Hi!

I'm a little bit new at Kodi (especially on Android more specially on Chromecast with Google TV) although I used 'XBMC' some years ago on Intel desktop. Sorry if my question was answered before but I simply can not find it.

Some days ago I installed Kodi onto my GCGTV just to check what are the limits of the construction.

1. I got the following audio passthrough to my Pioneer receiver: DD; DD+; DTS; multichannel PCM (for me it's nice as I could not passthrough high-def LPCM for music listening but could see movies for with me almost fine possibilities as my receiver could not handle Dolby TrueHD yet)
2. DTS-HD; DTS-X is one another thing as seemed I just got plain DTS passthrough instead those 'wider' ones (as if somebody also already wrote this)
3. 1080p 8bit h264 decoding was fine (from .MKV or .MP4 containers)
4. 1080p 8bit h265 decoding also was fine
5. 4k 8bit h265 decoding also was fine
6. But 4k 10bit h265 decoding was 'broken' (very slow rendering (1-2 frame per sec or slower) with lot more banding than I got with 8bit streams and also lot more than I got with alternate method (below))

Practically this is not problem for me now as my TV is one old Samsung - 55D7000 without any HDR possibilities, but interestingly if I cast with BubbleUPnP to this GCGTV seems it works. When I cast it with BubbleUPnP GCGTV seems can handle the stream. At this point I don't care about the quality or of any other aspect of the result, the only interesting thing that in this case GCGTV can handle the stream with full framerate. With Kodi directly on the GCGTV the result is a very slow, and overloaded result.

Could anybody help me, what I do wrong?

Thanks for your efforts in advance!
Yeah 4k HEVC content run like utter crap in Kodi on the Chromecast from my experience. The only solution I found to stop Kodi from stuttering upon playback was to disable "Allow hardware acceleration - MediaCodec (Surface)" in the player settings. This made 4K videos watchable but their framerate isn't the best. Disabling this option also has adverse effects, for instance, a 480P episode was unwatchable with this setting disabled.

A bit off-topic but I also had to disable MediaCodec (Surface) on my 2015 Shield with MrMC, 1080P x264 files wouldn’t even play stutter free.

Messages In This Thread
RE: "Google Chromecast with Google TV" dongle with a new "Google TV" ecosystem and UI - by Dave 130R - 2020-12-17, 14:56
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
"Google Chromecast with Google TV" dongle with a new "Google TV" ecosystem and UI0