• 26(current)
Android "Google Chromecast with Google TV" dongle with a new "Google TV" ecosystem and UI
Yes, Kodi supports SMB. How well it works, not sure. I use NFS.
(2020-10-07, 03:54)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2020-10-06, 16:35)droidkid Wrote:
(2020-10-04, 01:08)hdmkv Wrote: I couldn't get SMB to work; kept getting this error...

NFS did work, but was only able drill into some (not all) of my Synology & QNAP shares and add folders.

Audio Test Results:
- Standard DD & DTS 5.1 all play fine
- Dolby TrueHD & ATMOS both play in PCM 2.0
- DD+ 5.1 & 7.1 both play perfectly
- DTS-HD MA 5.1, 7.1 & DTS:X all play in DTS 5.1
- PCM 5.1 & 7.1 play in PCM 2.0

Video Test Results:
- As we already know, no refresh rate switching nor resolution switching
- 1080p/23.976 plays at 59.94 (and in my case in 2160p as that's what my Google TV dongle is set to)
- VC-1 1080p/23.976 & 29.97 play in slo-mo, stuttery (w/latter faring worse)
- All my UHD 23.976 rips play at 59.94 (same rez Google TV dongle is set to), but HDR works; however only at 8-bit depth (vs. 10-bit as it's w/my nVidia Shield TV, Zidoo Z9S & Vero 4K+)
- Sony Camp 2160p/59.94 plays properly & in HDR, but again at 8-bit depth

As has been mentioned already, the Refresh Rate app doesn't work. Even when I tried to assign a specific button from a secondary remote. BTW, my Fire TV voice remote paired & worked perfectly with the Google TV Chromecast.

This device is promising, even w/the A/V shortcoming at this point, because:
- The performance is quite snappy. Not Shield TV level, but fairly close, which is impressive given it's 1/4 the price
- Browsing my Kodi library (of 3,000+ thousand movies/shows) was quite fast
- Wi-fi performance is excellent. Haven't done an iperf3 test yet, but my BD/UHD rips played fine for 10-15 minutes of testing (I have Netgear Mesh wi-fi). Still, I've ordered this USB-C ethernet hub (hopefully it'll work) to compare wired vs. wi-fi

Overall, I both like and dislike the Google TV UI. It's clearly targeted for premium app users, for purposes of aggregating & curating content across services. The Apps section is really secondary. The UI is slick and fairly intuitive, but less useful for us local media fans and customizers. The remote is quite nice, very responsive, easy to use, but no info/context type button. I really missed the Android TV UI after a while, especially the channel rows populated with my Kodi playlists, and being able to get to favorited apps and full settings easily.

Going to hold on to this for a while and see what improvements Google pushes out in the coming weeks/months and what magic other devs might be able to make happen.

Canada doesn't get the new Chromecast until the 15th. I'm going to be using this to replace my old Android boxes. Has any one got SMB to work? I really need these to work with SMB to I can watch my media from my file server

The easiest way to Share files from a Windows / Linux / Mac / NAS file server setup to Kodi is using Zeroconf, see here to see how that is done
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2971806

And if your file server supports it use NFS instead of SMB due to less network overheads and it consequently being faster.
Can I set current smb shares on my windows home group as nfs instead or how does that work?
(2021-03-22, 22:57)sirmedia Wrote: Yes, Kodi supports SMB. How well it works, not sure. I use NFS.

I have kodi on my windows 10 laptop and some network drives and smb works fine. How would I get started with learning how to use nfs?
(2021-03-22, 23:03)bigd1979666 Wrote:
(2021-03-22, 22:57)sirmedia Wrote: Yes, Kodi supports SMB. How well it works, not sure. I use NFS.

I have kodi on my windows 10 laptop and some network drives and smb works fine. How would I get started with learning how to use nfs?
You need a Linux server or a NAS box that supports NFS. There are ways to do it in Windows too but not worth the trouble. If your media is on Windows, just use a SMB share.
Been using mine for a month now. It's started randomly crashing out of Kodi occasionally. Reload and start and it works fine. Still trying to figure how to get a log out of it.

After this time has passed I have to say I much prefer the Fire TV > this thing. The remote is better, Kodi seems far more stable, same app choices generally. No real downside unless one will raise holy hell about the occasional advertising.
Kodi 19 doesn't seem stable at all on this device, it locks up for me once in a while and I have to force stop it. Plus this problem that I can't figure out:
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=361262

Kodi 18 worked just fine, no issues.
What kind of usb C hubs is everyone using?

I've found this one https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07WNTM6MD/ but it's pretty expensive

It has gigabit ethernet, usb C for the chromecast and usb A for my external HDD.

I'm wondering if I can use the hdmi to place the Chromecast further away from my A/V-Receiver

Also, it has a SD-card-slot and an extra usb A port, I was thinking about using that for Kodi addons, app storage, etc, if that is possible

As my Chromecast comes without euro plug, I would need another power brick

Do I plug the power brick in the usb hub, or in the Chromecast, or both?

And what is an affordable, good and safe power brick for this? (I prefer to order at Amazon Germany/Netherlands)
I've been using the same device for a 3-4 month now. Is working fine with D-link USB*5 powered hub. The purchase was made from amazon Italy with only 25 euros.
Is Tp Link power hub, sorry! ImageImage
(2021-03-27, 16:40)Axelro Wrote: Is Tp Link power hub, sorry! ImageImage

How did you connect it to the usb c hub?
Is connected with that short-flat usb/type-C data cable. The picture shows explicitly how's the connections is made.
(2021-03-27, 22:29)Axelro Wrote: Is connected with that short-flat usb/type-C data cable. The picture shows explicitly how's the connections is made.
I though there was only one usb C port, which was needed for the Chromecast, hence the question 😉 but I forgot about the usb C connector at the end of the cable.
Thanks for your help!
I can confirm the 4k HDR video on an SDR TV lagging and failure seems to be some kind of Kodi bug as when you cast a 4K HDR file via VLC (for example), it plays and gets tonemapped completely fine on the SDR TV. It seems the CCWGTV hardware is perfectly capable of doing the HDR->SDR realtime tonemapping conversion...

Would this one be worth filing on the Kodi bug tracker?
(2021-03-28, 22:22)Photopuppet Wrote: I can confirm the 4k HDR video on an SDR TV lagging and failure seems to be some kind of Kodi bug as when you cast a 4K HDR file via VLC (for example), it plays and gets tonemapped completely fine on the SDR TV. It seems the CCWGTV hardware is perfectly capable of doing the HDR->SDR realtime tonemapping conversion...

The same problem happens in VLC too so I'm guessing it is unfortunately some kind of bug in Google's video API that needs fixing by them. :/
(2021-03-28, 22:29)Photopuppet Wrote:
(2021-03-28, 22:22)Photopuppet Wrote: I can confirm the 4k HDR video on an SDR TV lagging and failure seems to be some kind of Kodi bug as when you cast a 4K HDR file via VLC (for example), it plays and gets tonemapped completely fine on the SDR TV. It seems the CCWGTV hardware is perfectly capable of doing the HDR->SDR realtime tonemapping conversion...

The same problem happens in VLC too so I'm guessing it is unfortunately some kind of bug in Google's video API that needs fixing by them. :/

I don't think it is a Kodi issue nor Android. I have the same behavior on my Android TV box (Broadcom SoC). Basically, there is no HDR->SDR tonemapping implemented. In any case, this is typically something done at SoC level and not directly an Android TV feature just like upscaling.

I believe casting from VLC works because the device casting is the one doing the tone mapping.
  • 26(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
"Google Chromecast with Google TV" dongle with a new "Google TV" ecosystem and UI0