• 36(current)
Android "Google Chromecast with Google TV" dongle with a new "Google TV" ecosystem and UI
Hi everyone, so I just bought a 65” vizio oled from Best Buy for $1079.

I’m trying to figure out my Kodi solution now. The 4K ccwgtv is looking really attractive considering its price.

I’m looking for dolbyvision playback. As far as audio my soundbar only supports vanilla DD and DTS.

From what I’ve gathered from this thread, the 4K ccwgtv with the custom maven build will suit my needs just fine?
@LeoNYC don't copy / paste posts into multiple threads please, it is bad forum etiquette. I have removed your other post. You picked this thread to ask your question, now wait for an answer.
Always read the Wiki, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Read/follow the forum rules.
So I went ahead and purchased a ccwgtv and installed the maven build. Couple of issues.

I’m getting ‘source too slow for continuous playback’ on my bluray remux’s that my rpi had no problem playing. I’m gonna grab a usdc hub with a gigabit port to hopefully resolve that.

The other issue is if I set the chromecast to prefer Dolbyvision, Kodi won’t put my tv into hdr mode for regular hdr10. If I set the chromecast to prefer hdr, then the Dolbyvision won’t play back correctly. So I have to go into the chromecast settings to flip that around which is a little annoying.
(2022-11-13, 10:59)LeoNYC Wrote: I went ahead and purchased a ccwgtv and installed the maven build. Couple of issues.

Just as a FYI, our/your bigger issue is that we do not support Kodi setups with 3rd party "builds" and/or "wizards" and the like on this forum.
Perhaps the Kodi-nerds forum can be of further assistance to you with your current setup.
Hello.

I was using Kodi 19 on my Raspberry Pi 4 and everything was working perfectly for my use, including the Audio passtrough (DTS receiver).
Now I migrated to Chromecast with Google TV (Android 12), downloaded Kodi and I can't use DTS Passthrough, when enabling Audio passtrough and DTS I get no audio, my Setup remains the same as the RPi4.
Is this some issue/limitation of Chromecast? Android? or Kodi specifically from that version?
I can only have audio on Chromecast if I disable Audio passtrough, but I only get 2.0 audio on the receiver.

any tips?
I too noticed that DTS passthrough stopped working after the Android 12 update. But if you use AudioTrack (Raw) for the passthrough device instead of the recommended default setting AudioTrack (IEC), DTS seems to work. The option for DTS-HD disappears, but I think if you have such a track it will get decoded by Kodi and output as multi channel LPCM (with a 7.1 speaker config) or transcoded to DD5.1 if you set it up for 2.0 speakers only. These combinations of settings have always been very confusing, best thing is to download samples for formats you care about and try various settings. Also report bugs with logs as you run into them.
However, Kodi 19 seems to have other issues with Android 12 on the Chromecast, video stutters with passthrough enabled. Hopefully it will be addressed in Kodi 20.
On balance, is the general understanding that this device is a good option for its price point? I've skimmed the thread but it's somewhat hard to assess how it compares to other similar devices.  

I'd be using it on a 1080p display until I upgrade to 4k, and be primarily playing remux files from the google drive addon.
(2022-11-21, 06:39)ntilikp Wrote: On balance, is the general understanding that this device is a good option for its price point? I've skimmed the thread but it's somewhat hard to assess how it compares to other similar devices.  

I'd be using it on a 1080p display until I upgrade to 4k, and be primarily playing remux files from the google drive addon.
Not right now. I find it broken after the update to Android 12. I'm using a FireTV 4K Max stick and it works well with Kodi, until Amazon breaks it, that is, as they've done in the past. Gotta have 2 different devices and switch between them, use the less broken one. The Chromecast also suffers of storage leaks, it runs out of storage, at least it did on Android 10, too early to tell whether they fixed it in 12.
(2022-11-20, 20:10)sirmedia Wrote: I too noticed that DTS passthrough stopped working after the Android 12 update. But if you use AudioTrack (Raw) for the passthrough device instead of the recommended default setting AudioTrack (IEC), DTS seems to work. The option for DTS-HD disappears, but I think if you have such a track it will get decoded by Kodi and output as multi channel LPCM (with a 7.1 speaker config) or transcoded to DD5.1 if you set it up for 2.0 speakers only. These combinations of settings have always been very confusing, best thing is to download samples for formats you care about and try various settings. Also report bugs with logs as you run into them.
However, Kodi 19 seems to have other issues with Android 12 on the Chromecast, video stutters with passthrough enabled. Hopefully it will be addressed in Kodi 20.

Hi
Using AudioTrack (Raw) worked here, but my DVD/Receiver is still setting stereo audio, it doesn't switch to DTS like the RPi4 did. Thanks for the tip, it's already been a step forward.
I noticed that with passthrough enabled, even without audio sometimes the video completely freezes.
Thanks also for the sample links, very useful, I didn't know that.
Looking for a Kodi device for a 1080p tv. Is there a noticeable performance difference between the HD an 4K device?

1080p feels like the logical choice, unless 4K version makes the kodi experience better. They have different chips but unsure what this means in practice. Read somewhere 1080p supports av1.
(2022-11-24, 09:14)kees667 Wrote: Looking for a Kodi device for a 1080p tv. Is there a noticeable performance difference between the HD an 4K device?

1080p feels like the logical choice, unless 4K version makes the kodi experience better. They have different chips but unsure what this means in practice. Read somewhere 1080p supports av1.

I'd get a FireTV stick instead. I have both and at this time the Chromecast is not very usable.
(2022-11-24, 09:14)kees667 Wrote: Looking for a Kodi device for a 1080p tv. Is there a noticeable performance difference between the HD an 4K device?

I've recently got the HD version of CCwGTV and Kodi runs really smoothly. Huge difference in comparison to any X-name Chinese box with Android and double the ram / storage specs (my Mini M8SII box with 2GB RAM / 16GB storage never managed to run Kodi without performance issues, because of non-optimized software / I had to resort to CoreElec to have a decent experience). Just make sure to move the thumbnails folder to an SMB / network drive if you have a big library because the limited free storage of CCwGTV might get easily full. I have also installed the KCleaner add-on and I have no issues with cache / junk files filling up the Chromecast's storage.
Most reviewers say that the 4K version is generally not that much faster - actually they hardly see any performance difference, so I guess that must be the same with Kodi, too.
With the new update to 11, cant play Blu Ray rips, skipping galore
Also it broke Hardware acceleration of Mpeg2, everything looks crappy now
(2022-11-26, 03:48)foghorn2 Wrote: With the new update to 11, cant play Blu Ray rips, skipping galore
Also it broke Hardware acceleration of Mpeg2, everything looks crappy now
The update is to Android 12 which unfortunately is a disaster, slow and broken things, unusable. Too bad because I like the Google TV interface better than the Fire TV which I'm now forced to use.
(2022-08-07, 19:55)Dragon 548 Wrote: Hi,
I recently purchased a Chromecast with Google tv. I previously had a Xiaomi Mibox 3 and overall I'm happy with the much faster Chromecast. I use this one in particular to play videos stored on my Synology NAS via KODI. I have no problem playing x264 videos of around 20 gigs. Reading a file in x265 (HEVC) format does not work correctly, however: it is very jerky (an image every 2/3 seconds and sound does not work correctly). I tried with several files and the result is always the same. My old Mibox 3 played these files perfectly, so I think the Chromecast must be able to do this too.
Can you help me ?
Thanks in advance.

Here is the link of the log: https://paste.kodi.tv/sukanoloqu
I think the lines that interest you start at 21:09:32.645

Chromecast with Google TV (CCwGTV) had huge issues playing HDR on SDR TVs, but they fixed all of that in the Google TV 12 update which came out 1 month ago! Smile

It now plays HDR smoothly on SDR TVs. The tonemapping has some ugly color artifacting sometimes though, so it's best to play SDR content if you can find it instead.

Here's the news:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Chromecast/comm...t_support/
  • 36(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
"Google Chromecast with Google TV" dongle with a new "Google TV" ecosystem and UI0