• 37(current)
Android "Google Chromecast with Google TV" dongle with a new "Google TV" ecosystem and UI
(2022-03-04, 13:46)crawfish Wrote:
(2022-03-03, 23:37)Kravatak76 Wrote: Hello, can you please help me how to set up the Kodi on an external usb drive? When I connect a usb external drive as an internal and move the Kodi to it, there is an application on it, but the data library is still stored on the original 4GB storage. How do I change it? I found instructions on where to set the path to the external drive in xbmc_env.properties, but I don't see my USB external drive at all, for example in the X-explore application or via adblink, because it looks like an internal but I don't have access to it at all. I'm confused because I don't know what to do with it anymore and what's the right course of action. Thank you very much.
Set it up as an external drive, format it to FAT32 < 1.4 TB, and before you start Kodi for the first time, give Kodi Storage Permissions in the Android app settings. I found that giving it permissions when Kodi asked for them resulted in Kodi creating new libraries in the usual internal storage location, which is no good. I moved my .kodi folder into the folder given below; you might be able to use an alternate, simpler path as in the wiki, but I found this convenient as it required less editing of some adb commands I keep in OneNote. Replace the xxxx-xxxx with whatever your drive identifier is. I formatted the drive on my PC, connected it to my CCwGTV, so that it would create the Android folders, and then I either used adb to move the folder or brought the drive back to my PC and restored from a backup, which is a lot faster than using adb for the SSD I'm using for a separate installation on my Sony TV. For a USB stick, it may not matter much. So I've done this twice, once for my CCwGTV and also for my Sony TV. It works.

Code:
xbmc.data=/storage/xxxx-xxxx/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files

hi, i tested this solution, but how do i replace the xbmc_env.properties file? it says I don't have permission to do that.
I tried with the x-plore app and another whose name I don't remember, but the result doesn't change.
I've read some online guides and nobody seems to have this problem.

can you help me?

thank you
(2022-12-20, 20:28)fuccio Wrote: hi, i tested this solution, but how do i replace the xbmc_env.properties file? it says I don't have permission to do that.
I tried with the x-plore app and another whose name I don't remember, but the result doesn't change.

can you help me?

thank you

I don't recall having to do anything special, but that was when CCwGTV was on Android 10. I've read that Android 12 tightens up some things, so this may be a factor if you've updated. That said, my CCwGTV has updated to Android 12, and my existing installation works without any changes. I just don't know how setting it all up goes under Android 12.
(2022-12-20, 21:14)crawfish Wrote:
(2022-12-20, 20:28)fuccio Wrote: hi, i tested this solution, but how do i replace the xbmc_env.properties file? it says I don't have permission to do that.

can you help me?

thank you

I don't recall having to do anything special, but that was when CCwGTV was on Android 10. I've read that Android 12 tightens up some things, so this may be a factor if you've updated. That said, my CCwGTV has updated to Android 12, and my existing installation works without any changes. I just don't know how setting it all up goes under Android 12.

Yes, I bought it a week ago and it was immediately updated.
Could you explain in detail how you moved that file, maybe I'm doing something wrong, and what app did you use?
since I wanted to do a clean install I didn't back up the library on the previous device, it will be a bit long but I prefer to do it again solved this problem
(2022-12-21, 11:58)fuccio Wrote: Yes, I bought it a week ago and it was immediately updated.
Could you explain in detail how you moved that file, maybe I'm doing something wrong, and what app did you use?
since I wanted to do a clean install I didn't back up the library on the previous device, it will be a bit long but I prefer to do it again solved this problem

I use adb on my PC to manage my Android devices, including CCwGTV, Fire Stick 4K, and Sony A80J TV. I didn't have to root any of them, if that's a concern, but again, this was all on Android 10 and below. I don't know if Android 12 is a factor. For any version, you have to enable Developer options, and when you first connect and at various other times, like after applying an update, the device will ask you to approve the connection. Thus, I sometimes (rarely, actually) have to turn on the TV to approve the connection. I use adb to install Kodi updates, backup/restore the .kodi folder, copy config files to my PC for editing and then to copy back to the device, etc. Below are some commands I use, and the xxxx-xxxx strings are placeholders for the hex digits Android assigns to my SSD or thumb drive; sorry, I didn't save the command I used to copy xbmc_env.properties, but it would be an "adb push" to the root of internal storage, so the path for that will be different than below.

Code:
adb shell ls -la /storage/xxxx-xxxx/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi

adb pull /storage/xxxx-xxxx/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/temp/kodi.log

adb pull /storage/xxxx-xxxx/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/userdata/advancedsettings.xml
adb push advancedsettings.xml /storage/xxxx-xxxx/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/userdata
adb shell cat /storage/xxxx-xxxx/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/userdata/advancedsettings.xml

Backup: adb pull /storage/xxxx-xxxx/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi .kodi
Restore: adb push .kodi /storage/xxxx-xxxx/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi

Upgrade: adb install -r filename
Hello to all fellow CCWGTV users.

I'm seeing a strange behaviour, probably since the last Chromecast update (4k version here).

If I activate refresh rate matching on the CC and on Kodi 20, I'm losing HDR support (Samsung TV, HDR and HDR10+ only).

Can you confirm the same issue ?

(by the way, I have the same exact issue on the Jellyfin app).
Nevermind, the issue was with the tv. It's working after a complete reset of it.
I recently got a soundbar (Samsung B650) that has Dolby Digital and DTS.  I have my chromecast with Google TV connected to the soundbar and then from the soundbar to my TV.  If I enable passthrough and select any setting that gets me sound, any video I play that has a DD, DD+, or DTS soundtrack will play perfectly for 30 seconds to a minute (with DD or DTS) and then will stop playing and I get the message "read rate too slow for continuous playback".  It will then play again for a little while and I'll get that message again.  I have googled this answer and read through the last few pages of this thread and it sounds like this problem was introduced to the chromecast with Google's update to Android 12.  

I have tried doing a factory reset and installing Kodi 20, but I still have the same problem.

Is anyone able to passthrough DD or DTS audio from their chromecast with google tv to a soundbar or receiver and have it play successfully?
i suspect chromecast is not hardware decoding causing a massive cpu usage spike which in turn causes its abilty to read the file to fail
if you adb to chromecast and run "top" i bet you will see this happening

https://www.xda-developers.com/simple-gu...chromecast

https://www.man7.org/linux/man-pages/man1/top.1.html
Looks like the new update didn't fix the stuttering issues on some 1080p files on 1080p TV without HDR. At least I found one file that stuttered. Can anyone else confirm?
Same issue. KODI has a problem to play 4k over WiFi. Definitely it's a problem of KODI not a problem of HW nor connection. Same video files not properly played in KODI are played fine with VLC or Plex right after/before the switching of application.
(2023-02-02, 18:34)VitaP Wrote: Same issue. KODI has a problem to play 4k over WiFi. Definitely it's a problem of KODI not a problem of HW nor connection. Same video files not properly played in KODI are played fine with VLC or Plex right after/before the switching of application.
since youve come to such a firm standing that its kodi and not the device you must have a bunch of comparative test results and logs so why dont you share them
(2022-12-21, 20:15)crawfish Wrote:
(2022-12-21, 11:58)fuccio Wrote: Yes, I bought it a week ago and it was immediately updated.

I use adb on my PC to manage my Android devices, including CCwGTV, Fire Stick 4K, and Sony A80J TV. I didn't have to root any of them, if that's a concern, but again, this was all on Android 10 and below. I don't know if Android 12 is a factor. For any version, you have to enable Developer options, and when you first connect and at various other times, like after applying an update, the device will ask you to approve the connection. Thus, I sometimes (rarely, actually) have to turn on the TV to approve the connection. I use adb to install Kodi updates, backup/restore the .kodi folder, copy config files to my PC for editing and then to copy back to the device, etc. Below are some commands I use, and the xxxx-xxxx strings are placeholders for the hex digits Android assigns to my SSD or thumb drive; sorry, I didn't save the command I used to copy xbmc_env.properties, but it would be an "adb push" to the root of internal storage, so the path for that will be different than below.

Code:
adb shell ls -la /storage/xxxx-xxxx/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi

adb pull /storage/xxxx-xxxx/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/temp/kodi.log

adb pull /storage/xxxx-xxxx/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/userdata/advancedsettings.xml
adb push advancedsettings.xml /storage/xxxx-xxxx/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/userdata
adb shell cat /storage/xxxx-xxxx/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/userdata/advancedsettings.xml

Backup: adb pull /storage/xxxx-xxxx/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi .kodi
Restore: adb push .kodi /storage/xxxx-xxxx/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi

Upgrade: adb install -r filename

I'm looking for a way to backup and restore on the latest CCwGTV on Android 12. Although I was able to pull the directories, I wasn't able to write to them. I get a 
couldn't create file: Permission denied:
couldn't create file: Permission denied

I've tried su or run-as com.xbmc.org but neither work.

Weirdly, Kodi can move files and folders from Download to the profile directory but I can't get access to anything else in .kodi folder.
What I still don't understand is, does the 4K Version support integer frame rates (24.000) or not? And what is the SMPTE option for? I see those resolutions in Kodi as well (4.096x2.160). Not sure what to make of it.
So after much messing around with ADB, I've found a solution to backup and restore. The Backup addon. YES it was there staring me in the face all along Big Grin

I did try this initially but it kept failing, and I now know why. There is some kind of weird permissions thing going on with Android 12 from what I can tell. ADB is unable to write to the .kodi folder but it is able to read. Likewise Kodi is able to browse anywhere on internal storage but it's unable to browse past /storage/self/primary/Android/data/ . It's also unable to read files created with the ADB user and write to anywhere out of /storage/self/primary/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi

I was trying to backup to the /storage/self/primary/Download directory which wasn't working. In the end I backed up straight onto a network SMB EXT Linux drive, I'm not sure if other network file systems/OS work at this point due to the file permission limitations.

If you don't have a remote SMB server to backup onto you could try this:
1. Enable web server in Settings>Control>Allow control via HTTP
2. Open web browser with the ip of kodi + :8080
3. Go to file manager and add source then select <none> (not browse) and enter this in the pop up in web browser:
/storage/self/primary/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi:
/storage/self/primary/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi
4. Install backup addon and under settings change the Remote Dir in Backup addon to be the .kodi folder source we created in file manager (.kodi by default)
5. Run the backup and then move it with File Manager to /storage/self/primary/Download where you should be able to copy it off with another file manager app (this part is untested as I used a SMB network source)
6. Test restoring it after clearing data in Android settings. (Or maybe just remove a test file if you want to be cautious)

The only thing I couldn't get to restore was guisettings.xml as this is written on exit. Maybe force closing from Android settings after a backup would work?
Tried to find a previous post about this, but couldnt fint any.
Anyway, my problem is that my scraping/scan stops after I while. Tried to figurer out the issue and I think it might be that the chromecast runs out of storage. It seems that it builds up some temp files somewhere. Is it possible to change the directory of the temp files?
  • 37(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
"Google Chromecast with Google TV" dongle with a new "Google TV" ecosystem and UI0