Kodi 17.6 versus Kodi 18
Hi
I am still using Kodi 17.6 and it workes very well. However maybe I should update to Kodi 18.
I rememeber last time I tried there was a big disadvantage when upgrading  from 17. It was something about the handling of subtitles? I rememeber I had to download
some app in order to get subtitle downloading to work and I did not manage to make that to work. So then I downgraded to Kodi 17.6 again.
If I would give it  a try again is there some instruction how to do that correct?

This is about Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit
Intel Core i7  6700K CPU @ 4,00 GHz 
RAM 16

Pastebin: https://paste.kodi.tv/bikefafuxo.kodi

Thanks in advance
Captor
Kodi 18 is stable however the installer doesn't bundle quite a few binary addons, you should be able to see which ones you're using and install whatever you need from the Kodi repository
(2020-10-04, 20:10)jools5000 Wrote: Kodi 18 is stable however the installer doesn't bundle quite a few binary addons, you should be able to see which ones you're using and install whatever you need from the Kodi repository

Hi and thank you very much for answering. I understand what you mean. Which app should I use for the search and add of subtitles in Swedish or English same as there is in Kodi 17? That one works very well. I have set up once from what webpages to search, what languages and then I just click on the subtitle icon in Kodi when the movie starts. And then I choose the subtitle I prefer and download that. Works like a dream. If I can´t make that working then I prefer to stay with Kodi 17.6. Maybe there are no advantages in upgrade to 18 anyway?

Otherwise I would like some apps about SVT Play (Swedish TV) and maybe the backup app. That´s all I think. And of course the download of movie scraper.

Thanks in advance
Captor
Subtitles work fine out of the box

For searching, its not something I use but you can try https://kodi.tv/addon/subtitles/opensubtitlesorg
Dear jools,

Thanks for your answering. Subtitles work fine out of the box you say? Hm..  that time when I tried kodi 18 (I don´t remember what version) but that time it did not work. I read that I had to download some app and install. Maybe I did somethiong wrong but I think not because I have had Kodi for many years also before when the name was XBMC and I have always succeed to set up everything.
But if there is that out of the box the obviously I made something wrong!
That is very nice to hear! Than I will give it a new try.
Open Subtitles is one of the search sites I use. That is the best of them and I can recommend that.

About the installation, is it possible to install Kodi 18 without uninstalling Kodi 17 in case I don´t succeed again with the subtitle thing. Than it will be easy to just uninstall it again and go on with Kodi 17.

Thanks in advance,
Hi,
I have now installed 18.8 and I can not play my movies and TV-shows. Nothing happen when I try to start the movie. They are mostly local rar files but also mkv files.
I have activated the RAR archive support. Any idea what might be the problem? Maybe better go back to 17.6 again.
Please provide a Debug Log which captures you trying to play a movie.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
I can not paste the log because it exceed the maximum limit on pastebin.
Is there another way to send the log than pastebin?
(2020-10-18, 00:46)Captor Wrote: I can not paste the log because it exceed the maximum limit on pastebin.
Reboot your device then reproduce the error, this will significantly reduce the size of the log file.
I have done that. Everytime when I want to play a movie kodi crashes so I need to use ctrl+alt+del and restart. So the log I have is after a restart.
Have you tried using https://paste.kodi.tv/
(2020-10-18, 00:59)FXB78 Wrote: Have you tried using https://paste.kodi.tv/
No I have not. That worked and also this time I was actually able to exit Kodi without crashing. Here is the pastebin: https://paste.kodi.tv/wilahatudu.kodi
And I am using windows 10, 64-bit. Latest update. Kodi 18.8 crashes everytime I ry to play a movie. I have just installed 18.8 from 17.6. 17.6 worked just fine.
Kodi v18 (Leia) changelog (wiki) - Added framework to support VFS (Virtual File System) as binary addons

Pertinent information perhaps, it's stumbling on the archive format.

FTL:-> ERROR: AddOnLog: RAR archive support: CRarFile::Open: Open failed

The best idea would be to un-rar them, and save the proper mkv files.
Hi, But I can not open mkv files too. I have some of those as well in the source/library that I can´t open too. Koid crashes and I must restart windows because everything hangs. Cntr+alt+del is the only option at that point.
So then there is no point in un-rar to more mkv files that not work too. Also I have more than 700 of those rar files so that would be a huge task.
Then I prefer to go back to 17.6 for now and maybe try again later in version 19.x if there is no other solution on this.
Is there a way to rollback to 17.6 or do I need to uninstall it all and then reinstall 17.6?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi 17.6 versus Kodi 180