New Mecool K5 TV Box (Android 9, AMLOGIC S905x3, DVB-T2/S2, Optical)
Hi guys, I think this will be the box to beat for 2020. Good price and finally has all the ports I was looking for, including TV antenna (DVB-T2/S2) AND Optical SP/DIF port which is rare to find at good price !

Waiting to see if the 4GB RAM, 64GB ROM "deluxe" model becomes available soon, for now you can get 2GB/16GB model, it arrived on shelves last week for around $65 USD

MECOOL K5
GPU: Mali-G31
System: Android 9.0
CPU: Amlogic S905X3
Core: Quad Core
RAM: 2G RAM
RAM Type: DDR4
ROM: 16G ROM
Max. Extended Capacity: TF card up to 64GB (not included)
WIFI: 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac
Interface: AV, DC 5V, HDMI, Optical, RJ45, TF card, USB2.0, USB3.0
Antenna: Yes (DVB-t2/s2)
HDMI Version: 2.1
Power Consumption.: 5W
RJ45 Port Speed: 10/100Mbps
Product weight: 0.1650 kg
Package weight: 0.3800 kg
Product size (L x W x H): 13.00 x 10.90 x 3.18 cm / 5.12 x 4.29 x 1.25 inches
(2020-10-05, 04:40)ByteCode Wrote: Hi guys, I think this will be the box to beat for 2020. Good price and finally has all the ports I was looking for, including TV antenna (DVB-T2/S2) AND Optical SP/DIF port which is rare to find at good price !

Waiting to see if the 4GB RAM, 64GB ROM "deluxe" model becomes available soon, for now you can get 2GB/16GB model, it arrived on shelves last week for around $65 USD

MECOOL K5

Agreed, especially if I can see Netflix in 1080p or higher!
There are just not enough boxes with dvb-s2/dvb-t2 tuners
(2020-10-09, 21:44)callagg2 Wrote:
(2020-10-05, 04:40)ByteCode Wrote: Hi guys, I think this will be the box to beat for 2020. Good price and finally has all the ports I was looking for, including TV antenna (DVB-T2/S2) AND Optical SP/DIF port which is rare to find at good price !

MECOOL K5

Agreed, especially if I can see Netflix in 1080p or higher!
There are just not enough boxes with dvb-s2/dvb-t2 tuners
Looks like it uses the S905x2 rather than the S905x2 of the 2GB version 🤔

MECOOL K7
DVB - S2,  T2, TC
RAM 4GB LPDDR4
ROM 64GB EMMC
4K TV Box with Dual WiFi
HDR10
H.265

PRICE: EUR 121.66 
http:// https://www.gearbest.com/tv-box/...36012.html

Just be aware, do NOT expect automatic DVB tuner support from the CoreELEC guys going forward with these newer DVB tuner type devices. You need to visit their forum and ask questions first.

DVB tuner (& software) support has always been really poor with Android devices as well.

It is not a good product!

1. This version of Android is NOT multitasking. Basically it is a step back to the DOS era (early eighties, late seventies)
2. Worse than this, even the TV application itself is not multitasking. If you are recording a channel, you are not able to see the program guide, cannot program another event and cannot watch a previously recorded program.
3. Pressing one of the APPS or BROWSE buttons on the remote control while recording, kicks out of the TV application, cancelling recording. No warning, no question asked.

It needs a major firmware upgrade to bring this unit up to an acceptable level.
Wink 
(2021-04-28, 17:02)Mumavak Wrote:

It is not a good product!

1. This version of Android is NOT multitasking. Basically it is a step back to the DOS era (early eighties, late seventies)
2. Worse than this, even the TV application itself is not multitasking. If you are recording a channel, you are not able to see the program guide, cannot program another event and cannot watch a previously recorded program.
3. Pressing one of the APPS or BROWSE buttons on the remote control while recording, kicks out of the TV application, cancelling recording. No warning, no question asked.

It needs a major firmware upgrade to bring this unit up to an acceptable level.

Yes well it was worth a try , the MECOOL K7 that is. Overall impression is that it's not bad - for only EUR 95.
The standard launcher is poor, wasn't long before i installed a new launcher -> TVLauncher.apk from the play store.
The Settings menu is very limited, very shortened version of usual Settings menu in Android.
I knew Netflix would not be HD, but worse still is that the version of Netflix is like something from a mobile phone, navigation can be really awkward.

For me though - despite updating the software so its DTV is up to date - what is really frustrating is the DVB-S2 does not work correctly.
For many of the British channels, such as BBC HD or ITV HD it will only show pictures, there is no sound.
You only get sound on the SD channels, however there are some HD channels where it will play the sound.

There is some version of Kodi installed, under a different name, it's called "TV Centre"
Build: TV Centre 17.6 Git: Unknown
Compiled: January 16, 2018
Operating System: Android 9.0.0 API LEvel 28 (Kernel: Lnux 4.9.113)
The annoying thing about this slimmed down version of kodi is that it won't allow me to install a Simple IPTV to use instead of the box's own DTV for those HD channels!!

Maybe, it i were buying a box like this again, that is, has built-in DVB-S2 and DVB-T2 tuners,
I would probably just got for https://ferguson-digital.eu/produkt/ariv...o/?lang=en for EUR 109
though whether i would get Netflix HD on that is another thing...
Also, not sure how well supported its Hisilicon Hi3798C200 chipset is supported.
Now this new Mecool AML 905X4

https://es.aliexpress.com/item/32888429373.html
I was wrong, the sound of the HD TV channels does work on Dvb-s2, the issue was the default settings.
If you open Advanced Settings, then Audio Output, and change "Dolby Audio Format" from "PCM" to either "SPDIF" or "Auto" the sound works fine. 

I see Mecool have now sorted out their Netflix Certification (not for my box though) 
 https://www.mecoolonline.com/blogs/news/mecool-netflix-certified-android-tv-box-km2-giveaway

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New Mecool K5 TV Box (Android 9, AMLOGIC S905x3, DVB-T2/S2, Optical)0