• 2(current)
MECOOL Android TV Box KM6 Series w/ Amlogic S905X4 SoC
Here is my video of this Mecool KM6 Deluxe, with a true Android TV Netflix app that plays in HDR WITH automatic frame rate switching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8qPswLqyz8&t=14s
Wow, I'm impressed this plays Netflix 4K with HDR & proper framerate support.
I'd be more impressed if it continued playing Netflix for more than a few weeks.  Smile

The problem with many Chinese TV boxes is that they sometimes clone DRM keys from some other licensed device (Nvidia or Xiaomi).  Eventually Netflix gets wise to it and blacklists them.  The modified apks are usually older version of the app that have compatibility issues on some Netflix content. 

Good luck!
(2021-02-05, 01:42)wizziwig Wrote: I'd be more impressed if it continued playing Netflix for more than a few weeks.  Smile

The problem with many Chinese TV boxes is that they sometimes clone DRM keys from some other licensed device (Nvidia or Xiaomi).  Eventually Netflix gets wise to it and blacklists them.  The modified apks are usually older version of the app that have compatibility issues on some Netflix content. 

Good luck!
I did not purchase it for Netflix nor did I expect to "find" a HDR version of Netflix for this device.  I was just amazed that this device was able to switch frame rates for all the streaming service that I tested, including Netflix. 

How many different Android boxes support automatic frame rate switching with Netflix, other than the Shield??
(2021-02-05, 03:10)clarkss12 Wrote: How many different Android boxes support automatic frame rate switching with Netflix, other than the Shield??

The Shield TV doesn't support automatic frame rate switching with Netflix - you have to manually trigger it once the video is playing.
[font][font]¿Lo has probado con CoreELEC desde una microSD? [/font][font]¿Trabajos?[/font][/font]
(2021-02-05, 11:35)Friend Wrote: [font][font]¿Lo has probado con CoreELEC desde una microSD? [/font][font]¿Trabajos?[/font][/font]

Don't start talking Spanish as if you suddenly don't know English. This is an English-only forum.
Also please do not paste text from your Windows word processor, our forum editor is allergic to that.
(2021-02-05, 11:35)Friend Wrote: ¿Lo has probado con CoreELEC desde una microSD? ¿Trabajos?

Yes, Netflix does support automatic frame rate switching while running under CoreELEC......  But the most I could get was 1080p, not 4k HDR.
There is good reason for not doing this type of automatic frame rate switching.  Because the OS has zero context of what the app is doing, it can lead to a very bad user experience.  For example, many providers will insert short ads into the video stream that are at varying frame rates.  It causes the TV to constantly go black and resync.  Then you have providers that auto play content as you navigate the UI, again causing your TV to lose signal as you scroll through the shows.  The proper place to implement frame rate switching is in the actual app because only the app knows the best time to make the switch that will be least disruptive to the experience.  The app can also make the switch before the video starts playing or pause it so that you don't miss the beginning while your TV resyncs.

I guess as long as there is a system menu option available to turn this feature off, people can pick the setting that works best for them.

It's far more important for an Android device to properly support frame rate switching APIs so that well written apps (like Kodi) can control it.  This is where most Android TV devices fail (Google Chromecast, Tivo Stream, etc..).  The mainstream ones that work are Shield and Amazon Fire TV.

If you disable the automatic system-level frame rate switching, can Kodi still properly switch frame rates?
(2021-02-05, 22:12)wizziwig Wrote: If you disable the automatic system-level frame rate switching, can Kodi still properly switch frame rates?

I disabled the HDMI self-adaptation and Kodi did NOT switch frame rate.
Did more testing, comparing Nvidia Shield and this KM1 Deluxe.

Was testing the AV1 codec playback using YouTube AV1 samples.

Shield does NOT support the AV1 codec, so it used the VP9 video codec and NO HDR showing, and NO frame rate switching.
KM1 shows the AV1 codec being played, it shows HDR10 with frame rate switching.....

This is using a Visio P65Q9-H1 TV.  Going through a Yamaha AVR.
Nvidia Shield  >> Netflix HDR shows HDR 10 on my TV stats,  NO frame rate switching.  DD+ audio
KM6 Deluxe  >>  Netflix HDR shows HDR 10 on my TV stats, with frame rate switching.  DD+ audio

Yes, it is running a modded ATV version of Netflix, and can be "killed" at anytime.........  But, I pay for Netflix, should be MY choice which device I choose to watch it on.  This device has all the copy protection, but Netflix is just greedy.
With your Vizio TV, it sounds like you're also missing out on Dolby Vision HDR compared to the official Netflix or Disney+ apps on a certified device?

What happens if you leave the self-adaptation enabled but inside Kodi force a custom refresh rate (or only whitelist refresh rates not auto selected by the self-adaptation feature)?  Does it honor the Kodi requested refresh rate or ignore it?
(2021-02-05, 22:12)wizziwig Wrote: There is good reason for not doing this type of automatic frame rate switching.  Because the OS has zero context of what the app is doing, it can lead to a very bad user experience.  For example, many providers will insert short ads into the video stream that are at varying frame rates.  It causes the TV to constantly go black and resync.  Then you have providers that auto play content as you navigate the UI, again causing your TV to lose signal as you scroll through the shows.  The proper place to implement frame rate switching is in the actual app because only the app knows the best time to make the switch that will be least disruptive to the experience.  The app can also make the switch before the video starts playing or pause it so that you don't miss the beginning while your TV resyncs.

I guess as long as there is a system menu option available to turn this feature off, people can pick the setting that works best for them.

It's far more important for an Android device to properly support frame rate switching APIs so that well written apps (like Kodi) can control it.  This is where most Android TV devices fail (Google Chromecast, Tivo Stream, etc..).  The mainstream ones that work are Shield and Amazon Fire TV.

If you disable the automatic system-level frame rate switching, can Kodi still properly switch frame rates?

This is precisely why Roku disable system-level frame-rate switching on Netflix - the autoplay trailers caused resyncs between 24 and 25fps content.

The only way to do it properly is to let apps properly signal to the OS what frame rate content should be played at - which is how tvOS on the Apple TV 4K handles it, and how Fire OS on Fire TV devices does. HOWEVER this requires apps to be written to support it.  Many tvOS apps have been rewritten (including Netflix, Prime Video, Disney+, Apple TV+) but few Fire OS apps on Fire TV have been (the only one I know of is the Prime Video app)
Yup.  I have one of those Rokus and have direct experience of the cons of a system-wide refresh rate matching feature without app control.  Really difficult to understand why the content providers were willing to implement this properly for Apple but not for anyone else.  The example of Prime Video on the Fire TV makes sense since it's their own device and content so they had vested interest to make it work properly.  At least Kodi does it correctly so we can still get perfect refresh rate matching by playing Netflix through the addon on the Fire TV.   All we can do is keep pestering Netflix and others to add proper support for people using their native apps on Android.
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MECOOL Android TV Box KM6 Series w/ Amlogic S905X4 SoC0