• 3(current)
MECOOL Android TV Box KM6 Series w/ Amlogic S905X4 SoC
(2021-02-06, 00:37)clarkss12 Wrote: Nvidia Shield  >> Netflix HDR shows HDR 10 on my TV stats,  NO frame rate switching.  DD+ audio
KM6 Deluxe  >>  Netflix HDR shows HDR 10 on my TV stats, with frame rate switching.  DD+ audio

Yes, it is running a modded ATV version of Netflix, and can be "killed" at anytime.........  But, I pay for Netflix, should be MY choice which device I choose to watch it on.  This device has all the copy protection, but Netflix is just greedy.
Apparently the Mecool KM6 has HDR which is always on. So for any content the HDR is enabled even if the video is SDR so this is a big problem because the image on SDR videos (the majority of videos in 2020) is not beautiful and is dull and Colors are washed out if HDR mode is left on.

This is the same bug as on the Nokia Streaming box 8000 and on the Tivo Stream 4K.

So are you sure it's Netflix HDR and not just because HDR is always on?

Do you not mind the permanently activated HDR?

Or else did you find an HDR switch button or a way to turn it off? As there is on the new Chromecast ...
(2021-02-08, 16:41)yougz Wrote:
(2021-02-06, 00:37)clarkss12 Wrote: Nvidia Shield  >> Netflix HDR shows HDR 10 on my TV stats,  NO frame rate switching.  DD+ audio
KM6 Deluxe  >>  Netflix HDR shows HDR 10 on my TV stats, with frame rate switching.  DD+ audio

Yes, it is running a modded ATV version of Netflix, and can be "killed" at anytime.........  But, I pay for Netflix, should be MY choice which device I choose to watch it on.  This device has all the copy protection, but Netflix is just greedy.
Apparently the Mecool KM6 has HDR which is always on. So for any content the HDR is enabled even if the video is SDR so this is a big problem because the image on SDR videos (the majority of videos in 2020) is not beautiful and is dull and Colors are washed out if HDR mode is left on.

This is the same bug as on the Nokia Streaming box 8000 and on the Tivo Stream 4K.

Or else did you find an HDR switch button or a way to turn it off? As there is on the new Chromecast ...
Those are absolutely good questions.  I just got a new HDR TV recently, and got rid of my 4.5 year old NON-HDR Sammy TV.  But you are correct about the ability to turn off the HDR.  I could NOT use my Tivo stream 4k, nor Dynalink, etc because of lack of the setting to disable the HDR.  I forgot about that bug until you just asked, but this device does NOT have that setting either, that I can see.

About Netflix in 4k, I am going to do some more testing.......... Comparing it to my Shield.
just got my new mecool box and 1st thing i noticed is how much faster it was than my amazon 4k firestick
(2021-02-08, 20:44)clarkss12 Wrote:
(2021-02-08, 16:41)yougz Wrote:

I think that if there is HDR written in the Netflix navigation interface, it is because the application really works in HDR.

On the Shield you can turn off HDR so you can easily compare the image of SDR videos between the 2 devices. And you will see that on the Mecool the colors are not the right ones and unfortunately are not beautiful

In any case, thank you for sharing the application, hoping that it works over time ...
(2021-02-09, 05:51)xbmcnights Wrote: just got my new mecool box and 1st thing i noticed is how much faster it was than my amazon 4k firestick
In Kodi under Settings->System->Display, are you able to select different resolutions and refresh rates or is it locked to Android default video mode?
(2021-02-09, 23:30)wizziwig Wrote:
(2021-02-09, 05:51)xbmcnights Wrote: just got my new mecool box and 1st thing i noticed is how much faster it was than my amazon 4k firestick
In Kodi under Settings->System->Display, are you able to select different resolutions and refresh rates or is it locked to Android default video mode?
locked to 1080
if  under Settings->System->Display we can only select 1920x1080p 60hz doesn't that meant no auto frame rate for kodi right?
(2021-02-10, 08:34)serious96 Wrote: if  under Settings->System->Display we can only select 1920x1080p 60hz doesn't that meant no auto frame rate for kodi right?

I just tested and it does indeed switch from 60fps to 24fps when I play a 1080p video.
As explained earlier in the thread, the frame rate switching appears to be done by the OS and not under Kodi control.  There are pros/cons to this solution as already explained earlier in the thread.  Could definitely be worse as most of these type of devices have no refresh rate switching at all.
(2021-02-11, 00:32)wizziwig Wrote: As explained earlier in the thread, the frame rate switching appears to be done by the OS and not under Kodi control.  There are pros/cons to this solution as already explained earlier in the thread.  Could definitely be worse as most of these type of devices have no refresh rate switching at all.

Yes, verified that the frame rate switching is done by the OS and NOT by Kodi.  And YES, it does cause issues with any resolution less than 1080p..... Specifically 480i and 1080i.  But it can be disabled, if desired........
Hello guys
Can anyone confirm whats the performance diffeerence between Deluxe version and Mi Box S
and the second thing: can I launch HBO GO at least FullHD on this device
(2021-02-05, 15:53)clarkss12 Wrote:
(2021-02-05, 11:35)Friend Wrote: ¿Lo has probado con CoreELEC desde una microSD? ¿Trabajos?

Yes, Netflix does support automatic frame rate switching while running under CoreELEC......  But the most I could get was 1080p, not 4k HDR.
You mentioned earlier that the bootloader was locked and dual boot was not permissible. Have you now managed to run Coreelec?
(2021-02-23, 02:47)intelmorico Wrote:
(2021-02-05, 15:53)clarkss12 Wrote:
(2021-02-05, 11:35)Friend Wrote: ¿Lo has probado con CoreELEC desde una microSD? ¿Trabajos?

Yes, Netflix does support automatic frame rate switching while running under CoreELEC......  But the most I could get was 1080p, not 4k HDR.
You mentioned earlier that the bootloader was locked and dual boot was not permissible. Have you now managed to run Coreelec?

I have not even tried.
Mecool just sent me a new firmware that corrects the "HDR 10" always showing.  Now my HDR TV only displays "HDR 10" when an HDR 10 video is playing.  However, it still does NOT show "Dolby Vision", but it does NOT show "HDR 10" either, which is good.  I emailed them and and asked if their box can now display " Dolby Vision".  They are making progress.
(2021-02-11, 01:21)clarkss12 Wrote:
(2021-02-11, 00:32)wizziwig Wrote: As explained earlier in the thread, the frame rate switching appears to be done by the OS and not under Kodi control.  There are pros/cons to this solution as already explained earlier in the thread.  Could definitely be worse as most of these type of devices have no refresh rate switching at all.

Yes, verified that the frame rate switching is done by the OS and NOT by Kodi.  And YES, it does cause issues with any resolution less than 1080p..... Specifically 480i and 1080i.  But it can be disabled, if desired........
So does that mean that playback of 480i, 576i and 1080i (three of the four most common standards for OTA/terrestrial, satellite and cable TV - with 720p being the other) are non-starters for frame rate switching in Kodi with this box?  If so - that's a real red flag for anyone who uses Kodi with a PVR back-end (TV Headend, VDR etc.)

(Is it just interlaced modes that are problematic - or is 720p also an issue?)
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MECOOL Android TV Box KM6 Series w/ Amlogic S905X4 SoC0