Req Uninstal dependencies when uninstalling addons
The short - when uninstalling an addon, remove dependencies associated with it as well - except in cases where it is shared by another installed addon

Cleaning up and migrating a very old htpc with Kodi revealed a ton of outdated addons/scripts, some were even still running as services eating up resources, the manage dependencies screen would be very time consuming to go thru and find these (could use another feature request on improving this screen)

I believe an uninstall should remove itself completely, including dependencies
No love? Sad
I hope this be implemented it is a good idea
There is a dialog when u uninstall an addon ask if you want to delete all settings maybe add this to it [emoji16]
Bump!

Just had to clean up my parents box, upgrade them to latest etc.. they installed all kinds of stuff over the years, removing all the junk took forever
(2020-10-08, 18:14)Eldorado Wrote: when uninstalling an addon, remove dependencies associated with it as well - except in cases where it is shared by another installed addon
Kodi cannot track all associated files with add-ons yet, so "anything can happen" when installing add-ons from 3rd party repositories. There is also a warning displayed in Kodi for a reason when enabling unknown sources.

(2021-01-04, 15:20)Eldorado Wrote: removing all the junk took forever
If your "box" is that cluttered, starting a fresh setup is recommended and done in minutes.
(2021-01-04, 17:20)Klojum Wrote:
(2020-10-08, 18:14)Eldorado Wrote: when uninstalling an addon, remove dependencies associated with it as well - except in cases where it is shared by another installed addon
Kodi cannot track all associated files with add-ons yet, so "anything can happen" when installing add-ons from 3rd party repositories. There is also a warning displayed in Kodi for a reason when enabling unknown sources.
(2021-01-04, 15:20)Eldorado Wrote: removing all the junk took forever
If your "box" is that cluttered, starting a fresh setup is recommended and done in minutes.

I never mentioned 3rd party add-ons, why did you immediately go there when the issue pertains to any add-on regardless of source?

And why the quotes around "box"? Yes, it's a raspberry pi "box" that I had put together for them 3-4 years ago mainly to stream off my plex server, they had some fun poking around trying out add-ons from the Kodi repository

Aside from the add-ons, it's setup exactly how I want it and don't care to wipe it and restart fresh, it may be the recommended method right now but does that mean that's how it should always be?

It's unfortunate Kodi can't track the associated files, I guess that would be step 1 in my feature request then, but surprised by the push back for something that just makes sense
(2021-01-05, 15:08)Eldorado Wrote: why did you immediately go there when the issue pertains to any add-on regardless of source?

Because those are the ones more likely to install crap stuff than the ones in the official Kodi respository. And since we currently have no control on whatever is installed, such add-ons might as well install a timer to activate the proverbial "format c:" hack if you wanted to. Anything is possible. The damage done to the Kodi reputation because of certain piracy or crypto add-ons has made us perhaps more critical and edgy.

(2021-01-05, 15:08)Eldorado Wrote: it may be the recommended method right now but does that mean that's how it should always be?

No, that all depends on the computer know-how of the user. Someone who is more tech savvy will know, for example, how to copy files around using Linux, while others may not be so handy. One of those things that is not readily obvious when people join a forum like ours.
With JSON-RPC, it is very easy to match the dependencies in the addon (that has to be removed) with the dependencies in the other addons - regardless of whether these other addons are active or inactive. If a dependency is "accidentally" not listed, then this is a fault of the addon developer and not of the system. The addon developer is obliged to ensure that necessary dependencies are listed in his addon.xml.

I would also be in favour of implementing the feature request.
(2021-01-05, 16:54)Klojum Wrote:
(2021-01-05, 15:08)Eldorado Wrote: why did you immediately go there when the issue pertains to any add-on regardless of source?

Because those are the ones more likely to install crap stuff than the ones in the official Kodi respository. And since we currently have no control on whatever is installed, such add-ons might as well install a timer to activate the proverbial "format c:" hack if you wanted to. Anything is possible. The damage done to the Kodi reputation because of certain piracy or crypto add-ons has made us perhaps more critical and edgy.

Being 'critical and edgy' on almost every post in this forum does get tiring on the end users, especially when it's done on posts that make no such reference to piracy or even 3rd party add-ons

It's not just installed crap that's hanging around or doing dodgy actions,  it's anything that gets left behind long after the parent add-on has died or been removed regardless of how innocent they are.. the fact is that they are left there to build up over a period of time when they should be removed, and as I said there could be dependencies that run as services that you wouldn't even know is still there running eating resources

I just like to keep my setups as clean as possible, this is just one of those dirty areas that I feel should be handled and would be transparent to the user
Giving this another bump hoping for some dev interest, help keep our user data space clean!

Another angle is to provide more functionality in the manage dependencies screen, highlight addons with no parents and allow us to easily select/remove, allow multiple selects to uninstall, any other ideas to improve this screen?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Uninstal dependencies when uninstalling addons0