Release TVDB (new) - Python TV Show Scraper
(2021-03-01, 02:32)Karellen Wrote:
(2021-03-01, 02:21)Asphyx Wrote: I'm not sure if this might be a solution to this problem...
But TVDB is allowing users to subscribe themselves and they get an API Key they can use once the site does go PPV.
Wouldn't it be possible to add account settings to the scraper where users could enter their key and continue to use the script without Kodi Devs needing to pay for API access?
TVDB are writing their own Kodi scraper, and I believe that is what they are doing.
It makes the most sense...Just be sure to let us know if the Devs get wind they will not continue support so we subscribers can push them from the other side.
So..I'm totally confused about what to do to keep using the TVDB.

Do I get a subscription and keep using TVDB old
Do I get a subscription and start using TVDB New
If TVDB makes their own scraper do I need a subscription for that?

Right now, at this moment, I'm not getting any metadata from them for my TV shows in Kodi 19
(2021-03-01, 19:44)flhthemi Wrote: Do I get a subscription and keep using TVDB old
Do I get a subscription and start using TVDB New
No. Both of these will be broken in the next few weeks, or when TVDB finish their own scraper.

(2021-03-01, 19:44)flhthemi Wrote: If TVDB makes their own scraper do I need a subscription for that?
We are waiting on further details, but probably not. There might be special consideration for Kodi users.

(2021-03-01, 19:44)flhthemi Wrote: Right now, at this moment, I'm not getting any metadata from them for my TV shows in Kodi 19
Why? What is the problem? Post a Debug Log
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2021-03-01, 19:54)Karellen Wrote:
(2021-03-01, 19:44)flhthemi Wrote: Right now, at this moment, I'm not getting any metadata from them for my TV shows in Kodi 19
Why? What is the problem? Post a Debug Log

It's not getting any info with the exception of two shows. All the rest are returning 0% indicated as it's scanning. It almost appears their API isn't functioning properly as when I go to the site and type in a TV show name it can't be found there either.

Kodi.log shows "no information found" for TVDB.

So I changed to TMDB scraper and it's getting them so...

I'm trying to get Kodi 19 going on one Windows box so I can do the rest in the house and be up to date....

EDIT: Ok just checked the TVDB site and search is finding things again there but NOT using the scraper in Kodi.

DEBUG log
(2021-03-01, 19:44)flhthemi Wrote: If TVDB makes their own scraper do I need a subscription for that?

(2021-03-01, 19:54)Karellen Wrote: We are waiting on further details, but probably not. There might be special consideration for Kodi users.
Is it the case now, that there is a special consideration for Kodi users?
Which one is provided by TVDB: "The TVDB" or "The TVDB (new)"? That's the only difference I see in Kodi...

I had trouble scraping a TV show using the default matrix scraper yesterday, so tried the TVDB scraper, which worked without any subscription and delivered correct results. So I'm wondering what to do now:
- split my folder structure into two different sections to use two different sources with two different scrapers (TVDB and TMDb TV Shows), because TVDB isn't depricated anymore
- scrap that TV show with TVDB temporarily, export to local storage to have all the local files / data and keep using just one source with the default TMDb TV Shows as scraper
- keep using just one source with the default TMDb TV Shows as scraper and try to fix the issues with TVshow.nfo file maybe (not very experienced here so far, but achieved a few littel things with other shows)
At the moment they are still writing/testing it internally, so there is no TVDB scraper from them. I saw the (new) one myself for the first time today, but it is just a Python version of the existing (XML) scraper.

But as TVDB have yet to actually do anything in terms of API switching or shutting off any access, the previous status quo is still in place and the original/current scrapers (both the XML and Python versions) will still work fine.

TVDB will be depreciated at some point, but not before the new scraper from them is available and tested. And that will (according to them) provide access at least to the current standards and features. There will be the option to add a subscription key to unlock some of the more advanced features that they are planning to bring in, but as of now those have not been definitively identified.

When that depreciation and API switch-off does happen, the current scrapers will stop working and you will need to switch over to the new ones that are currently in production (and not yet available as of today).
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2021-07-11, 16:50)shad Wrote: split my folder structure into two different sections to use two different sources with two different scrapers (TVDB and TMDb TV Shows), because TVDB isn't depricated anymore
Definitely use this option.
There is no problem having multiple sources, in fact it is recommended. If you export your library to Separate files, you then always have a copy of the data as a backup, so it does not matter what happens at TVDB or TMDB because you have their data saved locally.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Before I start creating a debug log and the likes:

Has anyone else tried scraping Star Wars Visions and noticed how it scraped by epsiode name (as part of the file name) and not by episode number? At least that is how it was yesterday, very strange ...

Also: When I try scraping Kin (2021) I always end up being offered Kin (2018), no matter what I enter in the manual search. Has anyone else encountered this problem?
(2021-09-23, 16:16)kekomat Wrote: Has anyone else tried scraping
Nope. Best you provide the links to the show and Debug Log that captures you scraping both those shows.
My Signature
Sorry for not having replied earlier. The Kodi Logfile Uploader addon seems to be broken (running LibreELEC 10.0.0 and addon version 1.0.4), will try to report it.

The problem with Star Wars Visions solved itself, the problem scraping Kin (2021) persists by the way:

https://thetvdb.com/series/kin-2021

Will try to come up with a Debug Log at some point.
@Karellen Here's the corresponding debug log:

https://paste.kodi.tv/soziseqazi

Thank you in advance for looking into it.
Sooo, is there anything else I could do or provide to help with the research? Or hasn't anybody found the time to look into it?
(2021-09-28, 15:05)kekomat Wrote: the problem scraping Kin (2021) persists by the way:

https://thetvdb.com/series/kin-2021
It seems to be a problem with TVDB. The show is not found with a search on their site either... https://thetvdb.com/search?menu%5Btype%5...&query=kin

Use a Parsing NFO file... https://kodi.wiki/view/NFO_files/Parsing
My Signature
@Karellen Sure it does. You either find it on page 6 of the search results or go for "kin 2021" as a search term:

https://thetvdb.com/search?menu%5Btype%5...&query=kin

https://thetvdb.com/search?menu%5Btype%5...kin%202021
@kekomat

This scraper is unmaintained, and should have been marked broken 4 months ago. Unfortunately TVDB have kept delaying the closure of their API, which means this scraper is still surviving.

Coming in at page 6 (#109 in the list) of a search result really does not help the scraper find the correct tv show.

As I suggested previously, please use a Parsing NFO. There is nothing else I can do to help you.

Thanks.
My Signature

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
TVDB (new) - Python TV Show Scraper0