Zoom out of videos more?
Hi,

We zoom out (make smaller) scary parts of videos for kids to get less scared.

We figured out how to zoom out in Kodi to a "zoom amount" of 0.50, but it can't zoom out (make smaller) any more? Does anyone know how we can set the smallest zoom amount/level to be like 0.15 instead?

Thanks
This is clearly not a "Teach the parents" forum, but...

IMHO, if a scary movie is such a problem, why do you even let your kids watch the movie? Which age(s) are we talking here? You can zoom in/out a video, but what about the audio? Doesn't the typical screaming in a scary movie upset your kids? Something scary is usually centered in the video anyway, you cannot fully zoom your way around it. I'd say your "common sense" would need to kick in here.

Zooming in Kodi is done on a technical basis. Zooming in even further like squinting your eyes, because the movie is possibly unfit for kids, was never considered when Kodi was developed. So yes, the zoom factor is limited.
(2020-10-17, 09:01)Klojum Wrote: This is clearly not a "Teach the parents" forum, but...

IMHO, if a scary movie is such a problem, why do you even let your kids watch the movie? Which age(s) are we talking here? You can zoom in/out a video, but what about the audio? Doesn't the typical screaming in a scary movie upset your kids? Something scary is usually centered in the video anyway, you cannot fully zoom your way around it. I'd say your "common sense" would need to kick in here.

Zooming in Kodi is done on a technical basis. Zooming in even further like squinting your eyes, because the movie is possibly unfit for kids, was never considered when Kodi was developed. So yes, the zoom factor is limited.
no where in the code somwehwer can change the limit?
(2020-10-17, 09:13)SAH777 Wrote: no where in the code somwehwer can change the limit?

I'm not one of the Kodi developers (although I do have some programming background), but I'm pretty sure it's not gonna be that easy.

"the limit in the code"...? As far as I know, the zooming is currently based only on the width and/or height of the played video. Zoom is not working the other way around in Kodi, as if you would have a single zoom factor value like with a photo camera lens.

Scaling is supported in Kodi's videoplayer ffmpeg AFAICT, but it will also require you to do changes to the Kodi GUI and to the keyboard/remote input section, so it won't be something simple like flipping a switch or changing a 'maximum zoom' setting in a file. Plus, there is the additional compiling-testing-fixing loop work.

I can ask around but don't get your hopes up too high.
(2020-10-17, 09:41)Klojum Wrote:
(2020-10-17, 09:13)SAH777 Wrote: no where in the code somwehwer can change the limit?

I'm not one of the Kodi developers (although I do have some programming background), but I'm pretty sure it's not gonna be that easy.

"the limit in the code"...? As far as I know, the zooming is currently based only on the width and/or height of the played video. Zoom is not working the other way around in Kodi, as if you would have a single zoom factor value like with a photo camera lens.

Scaling is supported in Kodi's videoplayer ffmpeg AFAICT, but it will also require you to do changes to the Kodi GUI and to the keyboard/remote input section, so it won't be something simple like flipping a switch or changing a 'maximum zoom' setting in a file. Plus, there is the additional compiling-testing-fixing loop work.

I can ask around but don't get your hopes up too high.
ok thanks for all that info anyway because yep was hoping for an easy max/min settings swtich somehwere

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Zoom out of videos more?0