Solved Browsing smb stopped working (under Kodi 18)
I am unable to browse smb (e.g., when selecting the Artist - Music Information Folder). I am able to select existing smb directories (e.g., /exports// in the picture).
https://drive.google.com/file/d/17U4t8Xu...sp=sharing

I have my music and movies on external hard drives hanging off a dedicated win7 laptop used as a fileserver. I never before had trouble browsing smb, and I really don't know whether the problem started due to the recent upgrade to Kodi 18 (haven't needed smb browsing for a while).

Perhaps it might also be worth noting my Kodi data files have recently moved to a secondary storage in the FireTV (https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=259327).

I can create new sources (as verified in Sources.xml).

Any thoughts on why my smb browsing is no longer working?
I would guess that previously you've been using SMB1, but as that is at swiss cheese level for security holes, MS and most of the rest of the online world have now depreciated it and are turning it off by default in favour of SMB2 and SMB3. Unfortunately browsing for SMB servers is only available in SMB1.

For SMB2 or 3, when you set up your source you need to go via "add network location..." (usually found at the bottom of the add sources list). In that you can select SMB and enter the credentials (IP address or server name) for your source and access it that way, along with the username and password (SMB2 and SMB3 need credentials, anonymous connections no longer work).

If you want the history lesson on all this, put "wannacry" into your search engine of choice.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Thanks. That worked. I saw this solution in another thread, but  was fearful of upsetting the delicate working balance of access I already had so I didn't try it. For those with similar fears I can only say ''no fear!"

Be safe.
Thread marked solved.
I am having a similar problem.
I was using SMB3 perfectly fine I recently found out that I can't browse smb files. I switched to SMB1 but still nothing happened.

Any idea what is going wrong or what else can I do?
Both server and client must be enabled to support SMB1.

But doing so at either end is really not a good idea, as SMB1 is very poor for security and has now many known and unrepairable issues.

You would be much wiser to stick with SMB3 and disable SMB1 completely.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
My issue is that while I was using SMBv3 perfectly fine it suddenly stopped working.

And I am pretty sure both ends support SMB.
As noted, SMB3 does not support browsing, so obviously you won't be able to browse if you are using it.

You need to manually enter the server IP address as described above. You should however still be able to browse within the server itself, once the connection is made.

If you really must have browsing, then both ends need to be set to use SMB1, and only SMB1. But as previously stated, this is really not a good or safe thing to be doing.

Kodi Blog Posts
I have tried to add the IP address manually and re-do everything, but still nothing both with SMB1 and SMB3.
I even tried with a FTP server, but Kodi just couldn't connect.

I've also updated my TV Box and the version of Kodi I am using.

All this started after a Windows 10 update, but I am pretty sure that I've enable again everything that might went off.
Can you connect to it from any other device?

Do you have firewalls, anti-malware software, anti-virus software or anything else set up or active which might be blocking the connection?

Windows SMB has become something of a black art since MS starting messing around with things post SMB1, and Windows updates are well known to screw up things by quietly turning stuff back on that was off before and generally screwing around with configurations.

Also are you using the correct credentials for accessing the SMB share (SMB2 / 3 need credentials, anonymous doesn't work any more) and that user/password is good to access the share folder(s) that you're aiming at?

Kodi Blog Posts
The device itself shows that is connected to the same network.
I have disabled/ given permission to any firewalls that might block the connection.
I have looked into sites and videos on what to check/uncheck on Windows 10.
And I added the correct IP address, username/password and paths that lead to the folders I want to access.

Could this might be just a network error that might fix itself in the future?
We're getting a bit outside what we can easily support here, as we're not a general network support site for the latest vaguaries of Windows 10.

I'd suggest to search around on the web for some of the various sites and tutorials for SMB on Windows 10, and see if any of them can help more.

Personally I would always recommend to set up a local limited user account for SMB sharing, and grant that user access privs to the folders that you want to share. Then use that account's credentials for the SMB ones, so that you know exactly what the username and password should be (Windows 10 tends to do some very strange things under the hood for usernames on Windows accounts iirc - the actual credentials you need to enter are not always what they appear to be on screen).

It may be a transient network error, but given the aforementioned tendency for MS to change and/or revert things without notice, it's difficult to say. I wouldn't hold my breath for it fixing itself, but go more in the direction of MS's latest brainfart of what they think users actually want (rather than what you yourself think, that being what actually works) has broken it and so do what you can to take things under control again and set exactly as you want it.

Kodi Blog Posts
Thank you for your time and effort.
I will search what other solutions might work.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Browsing smb stopped working (under Kodi 18)0