AdvancedSettings.xml overriding guisettings.xml.
Over the weekend I read on the wiki that some guisettings.xml can also be retrieved from advancedsettings.xml https://kodi.wiki/view/Advancedsettings....l_settings  That is a great feature for me because I usually copy in my custom advancedsettings on every install and I could get my own defaults much easier.  I can't get it to work though and I can't easily find any code to to help me sort this out.  If the wiki wrong (for Matrix anyway) on this or am I just not building advancedsettings properly?

Martin
(2020-10-26, 02:03)emveepee Wrote: I can't get it to work though and I can't easily find any code to to help me sort this out. 

Which tags/values placed in the advancedsettings.xml file aren't working for you?
I never knew of this option, and it would simplify and expedite installing new Kodi clients quite a bit.
All, well at least I haven't found any that work.  The setting names don't match the example either

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/master...gs.cpp#L63

Martin
After a little bit of trial and error, I figured out how it works. I used v19 to test.

If you open your guisettings.xml file you will find the settings which look like this example...
xml:
<setting id="videolibrary.showunwatchedplots" default="true">0,1,2</setting>
<setting id="videolibrary.groupmoviesets" default="true">false</setting>
<setting id="videolibrary.groupsingleitemsets">true</setting>
<setting id="myvideos.flatten" default="true">false</setting>
<setting id="videolibrary.flattentvshows">0</setting>
<setting id="videolibrary.showemptytvshows">true</setting>

Selecting one and breaking it down
xml:
<setting id="videolibrary.showemptytvshows">true</setting>
videolibrary- parent tag
showemptytvshows- tag
true- value

Which then becomes this for the advancedsettings.xml file...
xml:

<advancedsettings version="1.0">
<videolibrary>
<showemptytvshows>true</showemptytvshows>
</videolibrary>
</advancedsettings>

Then you will note that this setting is no longer visible in the Settings pages

Once others can test and confirm it works as described above, I will update the wiki page.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
I see my issue, I was putting <pvrmanager> in <pvr> like settings.xml, at the root it works.

Thanks

Martin
@Karellen I can confirm that it works as you describe here.  For instance

xml:
<videoscreen>
    <monitor>DVI-D-0</monitor>
</videoscreen>

removes the option to change the display output device.  Relevant guisettings.xml is <setting id="videoscreen.monitor">DVI-D-0</setting>.  I tested several settings and they all worked.  Quite powerful to be able to remove a bunch of settings from the GUI.  I'm going to use this to re-configure the kids rPi's so that I can remove some settings that they are occasionally tempted to tinker around with Cool
Learning Linux the hard way !!
Thanks for confirming @emveepee and @black_eagle

I'll update the wiki page tomorrow.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
I use this feature for years to have the same config on all kodi boxes, but i copy only the line from guisettings.xml to advancedsettings.xml (but you have to remove the default="true").

For example:
xml:

<advancedsettings>
  <setting id="smb.legacysecurity">false</setting>
  <setting id="smb.maxprotocol">3</setting>
  <setting id="smb.minprotocol">1</setting>
  <setting id="smb.winsserver">0.0.0.0</setting>
  <setting id="smb.workgroup">WORKGROUP</setting>
</advancedsettings>

This is working fine for me. I have about 100 predefined settings in my advancedsettings.xml and all of them are hided in the gui.
Thanks @hugohuetzel

I did not realise that worked also. I'll try it out.
My Signature

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AdvancedSettings.xml overriding guisettings.xml.0