Solved How do I stop Kodi from auto-updating in the future on Nvidia Shield ?
Please do not change the update possibility of KODI, i want my KODI to automatically update from one major version to another without having to manually install...
(2021-02-25, 15:04)Tartifless Wrote: Please do not change the update possibility of KODI, i want my KODI to automatically update from one major version to another without having to manually install...

Once more - Kodi doesn't update itself.
(2020-10-27, 14:11)Klojum Wrote: Thread marked solved.
NO it is NOT SOLVED. This Kodi 19 KEEPS INSTALLING ITSELF NO MATTER WHAT> FIX THIS. KODI 19 IS USELES!!!!!
It's not us, it's how you've got your device set up.

If you don't want apps automatically updating, turn off that feature in the Google Play Store or whatever app manager you are using.

Kodi does not update itself, the app-store controls all that and is entirely outside of our control. It's you as the device user who has to set that up to not do so if you don't want it to (which is the normal default).
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Kodi has automatically updated to matrix on my Sony android Bravia tv when opening kodi after about 10 seconds screensaver appears only time screen saver don’t appear is when actively watching a video had no option to wipe my kodi as it wound not start up to begin with as it was stuck at migrating add-ins. Can’t finish reading a video plot before the screensaver. Have disable any add on that could potentially update my other 2 devices takes roughy 4 hours a time just to do a first time scan of media files
(2021-02-25, 21:17)andrzejls Wrote: NO it is NOT SOLVED. This Kodi 19 KEEPS INSTALLING ITSELF NO MATTER WHAT> FIX THIS. KODI 19 IS USELES!!!!!

You did not start this forum thread, the OP's problem was already declared solved BEFORE you decided to hijack the forum thread.
And stop using capital letters. It doesn't impress us.

On top of that, you are apparently not familiar with the basics of the Android Play store: It will update installed apps automatically by default.
If you do not want that to happen, then YOU need to change that on your Android device. Do not point at us for that to happen.
I feel pretty lousy about posting in the wrong thread. I had no issues with anything to do with Nvidia Shield. I just hoped someone had answers as to keeping a device from re-updating if I could roll mine back a version.

As for the auto-update itself, isn't it known to everyone it's the device's settings in its correlation to Google Play or whatnot? Don't the other apps on your device auto-update?
Nevermind, don't pay me any mind, as for OP's issue was marked as solved.
(2021-02-24, 09:14)popy Wrote:
(2021-02-23, 10:17)dcsacew21 Wrote: i have my clean setup with AURA Skin, which is just not compatible with Kodi 19 (aura skin). Kodi was updated automatically from the play store on my shield tv, and destroyed my whole setup.
so i deinstalled kodi, and downloaded manually the apk for 18.9 from kodi website and then sideloaded (via downloader) it to the shield, in hope that would not trigger manual update (sideload vs. play store).
spend few hours so setup every widget and setting as my family is used to.... fast forward to this morning:
Kodi was updated to 19 for whatever reason and killed again my whole setup.

but i do not want to turn off auto update from the whole play store. since non of my apps would be updated then. that would be a pain in the ass, to turn off auto updates for all apps just because of ONE app.

i think changing the app signature could help but I have no idea how that works. Since the internet is full with this issue, did somebody already recompile the 18.9 version so auto update for Android does not work anymore?

tl;dr:
How can i install a Kodi 18.9 version on my shield tv, that does NOT get automatically Updated?

edit:
can somebody (with the proper knowledge), change the signature of the latest official Kodi 18.9 APK? This would prevent automatical Update from playstore after sideloading and installing. and we could still leave the auto update for other apps from playstore ON.
THANK YOU

edit2:

so changing signature of the apk stops auto update.

https://f-droid.org/en/packages/org.xbmc.kodi/

the f-droid version of Kodi 18.9 seems to be signs by themselves. this should stop auto update from playstore or?

Version 18.9 (1809000) suggested Added on 2020-11-09
This version requires Android 5.0 or newer.
It is built and signed by F-Droid, and guaranteed to correspond to this source tarball.
Also will go back on my two android TV's to 18.9 because of to much troubles (PVR timeshift doesnt work, estuary gets harder to read every update, kodi sometimes freezes, ...).
The WAF is very low and dont have time to jump on the 19 train yet. Will do that if it has matured.

Also thinked about just changing the signature to prevent auto update from play store.
When i got xou right, the f-droid build has changed signature so play store did not auto update it?

thx a lot

Yes f droid version is not auto updating
ok so, today ive turned on my nvidia shield, got this update and my ace2 skin gone (with also some other add-ons). i wanted to make a new thread but it seems i'm not alone with this issue. now, first of all ill disable automatic updates in sthe store. fortunately i got shield only for running kodi so it's my only installed app on it. however now i have to choose another skin and setup it again. can some of you help me saying which setting got reset? at least i dont have to check manually everything. took me weeks to setup everything perfectly and now that i know better how this kodi works (tons of dependancies making a domino effect if some of them misses), ill be aware before updating next time

forgot to say that i intend only settings caused by missing skin. any other add ons seems to work at least for me
As you've probably seen, it is caused by our required move from Python 2 to Python 3 to the addon support/creation language (as Python 2 is now depreciated and unsupported by its authors and maintainers). The Ace2 install you have will be in Python 2, and from what I can see from the Ace 2 forum sub-section there is no Matrix (Python 3) version yet.

So I would suggest you make a post there to clarify with the author whether they plan to update it or not. If they do, then reinstall that new version and you should be back up again (at least for the skin part - similar requests need to be made to the authors of your other addons with the same issue).

If not, then pick another skin and go with that.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2021-03-06, 11:07)DarrenHill Wrote: As you've probably seen, it is caused by our required move from Python 2 to Python 3 to the addon support/creation language (as Python 2 is now depreciated and unsupported by its authors and maintainers). The Ace2 install you have will be in Python 2, and from what I can see from the Ace 2 forum sub-section there is no Matrix (Python 3) version yet.

So I would suggest you make a post there to clarify with the author whether they plan to update it or not. If they do, then reinstall that new version and you should be back up again (at least for the skin part - similar requests need to be made to the authors of your other addons with the same issue).

If not, then pick another skin and go with that.

yes ill change skin no problem. question is if next time i have to be afraid only of major release (20.), or even smaller ones (19.1)? considering what happened ill stick with this version for years if ill not have any issues meanwhile
(2021-02-24, 22:36)popy Wrote:
(2021-02-23, 10:17)dcsacew21 Wrote: i have my clean setup with AURA Skin, which is just not compatible with Kodi 19 (aura skin). Kodi was updated automatically from the play store on my shield tv, and destroyed my whole setup.
so i deinstalled kodi, and downloaded manually the apk for 18.9 from kodi website and then sideloaded (via downloader) it to the shield, in hope that would not trigger manual update (sideload vs. play store).
spend few hours so setup every widget and setting as my family is used to.... fast forward to this morning:
Kodi was updated to 19 for whatever reason and killed again my whole setup.

but i do not want to turn off auto update from the whole play store. since non of my apps would be updated then. that would be a pain in the ass, to turn off auto updates for all apps just because of ONE app.

i think changing the app signature could help but I have no idea how that works. Since the internet is full with this issue, did somebody already recompile the 18.9 version so auto update for Android does not work anymore?

tl;dr:
How can i install a Kodi 18.9 version on my shield tv, that does NOT get automatically Updated?

edit:
can somebody (with the proper knowledge), change the signature of the latest official Kodi 18.9 APK? This would prevent automatical Update from playstore after sideloading and installing. and we could still leave the auto update for other apps from playstore ON.
THANK YOU

edit2:

so changing signature of the apk stops auto update.

https://f-droid.org/en/packages/org.xbmc.kodi/

the f-droid version of Kodi 18.9 seems to be signs by themselves. this should stop auto update from playstore or?

Version 18.9 (1809000) suggested Added on 2020-11-09
This version requires Android 5.0 or newer.
It is built and signed by F-Droid, and guaranteed to correspond to this source tarball.
Thx, the f-droid apk working like a charm. No more updates from play store.
Thanks Guys!

I have ChromeCast with Google TV and I cna't find way to stop updates.  I don't want Kodi 19 until addons are fixed (couple of years I'd guess)
So I'm sticking with this for the time being

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How do I stop Kodi from auto-updating in the future on Nvidia Shield ?0