buttons - stretched or not?
when using the graphics for buttons in list view the image get stretched a lot so that the edges at the ends get jagged. this is also a problem in the tv-guide in xbmp if xbmc evetually will get that to.

maybe the buttons could be specified in the same way the progress bar is, with fex: button_pressed_left.png, button_pressed_mid.png and button_pressed_right.png?

then also the button width could be specified in the skin

(or dynamic resizing of the buttons, but that might get ugly... maybe to prevent screens with buttons of different sizes, when using dynamic size, the screen is set to use the widest button size on all buttons? but i guess its hard to get that dynamic thing working in a xml specified skin?)
yes.
for some buttons it's better to have a seperate graphic.
same as list-buttons.
i've changed the list-buttons in hifi-skin alpha 2, like in xbmp.
it would be nice from the devs to change it also in the default skin.

i hope still for a color-chart in the reference.xml or in a seperate color.xml for easier changing colors.
:d
maybe this kind of button specifications could be added to reference.xml aswell?

for different button types...
a little bump...

do u devs prefer skinners creating seperate graphics for each button size or is there a chance this will happen?
it kinda makes a big difference in skinning so i guess there are big updates that has to be done to existing skins?

/floink
for now you have 2 options:
1. accept like it is now and use a single graphic for all buttons
2. create seperate graphics for each button size.
remember you can define the graphic for each and every button in xbmc. so its totally skinnable right now. but... its requires you todo some more work.

i agree that some things could b optimized to make the lives of skinners easier and this is one of them.
we did implemented references.xml already for skinners and i think we'll see more handy things in the future.

but if i'm realistic about skinning then there arent many ppl doing this. i got many many complaints in the past that xbmp wasnt skinnable. now xbmc is skinnable and that cost us a lot of hard work & time. and in the end, how many skins did we see? just 1 the hifi skin.
offcourse we can make things easier/handier and nicer, but question is if its worth the time if there is only 1 or 2 skinners out there anyway

frodo

frodo

XBMC Project Founder (Retired), now head programmer of MediaPortal
hmmm... i can see your point (frustration?) i realize, reasons mentioned above, that skinning doesn't have that kind of priority right now. i never got in to skinning on xbmp but i am on xbmc.

and when it comes to skinning possibilities on xbmc i'm sure theres more than anyone would have imagined. and that is great, and appriciated by me and others i'm sure. when it comes to only beeing one skin available i think there are some understandable reasons for that, like updates and changes but obviously also the aformentioned complexity and advanced features (which is good!Wink. my notion is that even advanced skinners start of by just replacing original graphics. only to have something to start with. remember that the requests, reports and questions are not complaints  Smile

i think there will be more skins made in the future when things get cleared out on how to use your background work intelligently. i am doing a skin right now which i don't know when it will be ready but its chugging along well...

and finally here's a second skin made by xetasoft over @ allxboxskins.

again your work is very appriciated. just keep doing what you like best. it seems like it worked before.  Image

/floink

hmmm... i can see your point (frustration?) i realize, reasons mentioned above, that skinning doesn't have that kind of priority right now. i never got in to skinning on xbmp but i am on xbmc.

nop, i think skinning is pretty important and i like suggestions how to make things better. offcourse i'll do my best to implement those suggestions if they are any good

its just that:
- i would like to see some more skins for xmbc ;-)
- ppl (no flame intended!Wink should stop saying things like 'skinning is 2 hard', or 'we need a skin editor' etc without even looking @ xbmc and trying to figure out how it works

so lets try to keep this objective. i like new ideas, yes skinning has priority and yes i'll do my best to improve it.

frodo
XBMC Project Founder (Retired), now head programmer of MediaPortal

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
buttons - stretched or not?0