On Startup No Sound for Music - But Videos Have Sound
I have been using Kodi for several years now, for the most part with no problems.  I have Kodi 18.9 on a dedicated Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64 bit pc.  A few weeks ago, I noticed an intermittent problem where when I started Kodi if I tried to play music there would be no sound.  You can go from album to album, song to song, doesn't matter which you choose, there is no sound.  But if I switch and play a video, then there is sound.  Further, after I play a video, I can then go back and play music and there is sound.  So a summary of the problem is that, on startup, there is no sound playing music.  The sound works for videos, and it will work for music if you play a video first, but I can't start it and play music before I play a video and still have sound.

At first I thought this might be a hardware problem.  But since Kodi video sound is fine, and it is only Kodi music sound that has a problem, I concluded this might be a Kodi issue.

As I said, the problem is intermittent, so it took me a while before I could capture a debug log.  But I was finally able to capture the problem in a log.

The debug is posted here geqomovuti (paste)

In the session captured by the log, I started off playing music, and there was no sound, but then I played a video and the sound came on.

One final note, this problem might be more likely to occur after Kodi has been turned off for an extended period of time.  I am not sure however.  This is just an impression formed based on what has happened.  Again, since the problem has been intermittent I can't really study it.
Hmmm, log doesn't show any errors as far as I can see so my initial guess would be that it's pulseaudio related.  What happens if you start Kodi from a terminal and suspend pulse first?
pasuspender -- env KODI_AE_SINK=ALSA kodi  Do you get audio then ? (You will have to revisit your audio settings and select the correct output).
Learning Linux the hard way !!
(2020-10-29, 10:14)black_eagle Wrote: Hmmm, log doesn't show any errors as far as I can see so my initial guess would be that it's pulseaudio related.  What happens if you start Kodi from a terminal and suspend pulse first?
pasuspender -- env KODI_AE_SINK=ALSA kodi  Do you get audio then ? (You will have to revisit your audio settings and select the correct output).
That command produces an error:

pasuspender -- env KODI_AE_SINK=ALSA kodi
Error: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/kodi/kodi-gbm not found[/syntax]

Also, how does a pulseaudio setting account for the fact that this only happens when playing music?  As I said, I can go from song to song to song, with no audio, and then as soon as I play a video there is sound and then I can go back and play music and hear the audio.  I am admittedly not that tech or code savvy, but doesn't this sound like a difference in how Kodi starts the audio after it has been suspended (i.e., after sitting idle for long time)?  Again, once the audio starts, it is not a problem.  Is there a difference in the manner in which Kodi initiates audio for videos vs. music?  Could this be the problem?
(2020-10-29, 20:24)SoCalMichael Wrote: Is there a difference in the manner in which Kodi initiates audio for videos vs. music? 

Yes, there is.  There are two different players, one for video + audio and one for audio only.  I mentioned pulse for a couple of reasons, the first being that I have never experienced this but I use ALSA.  The second being that your logs shows pulse opening the audio output when playing music as 2 channel pcm but when playing video it opens 6 channels in passthrough.  Is it possible that your device (AVR/TV etc) is shutting down it's audio input and that simply sending a signal to it is not enough to wake it back up but that the change of mode from 2 channel to 6 is ?

If that's the case then Kodi has a setting to stop your receiving equipment from going to sleep (audio wise).  See https://kodi.wiki/view/Settings/System/A...vice_alive  If you don't have that enabled, it might be worth turning it on and seeing if it helps.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
When you don't get audio from music do the GUI sounds as you navigate the UI stop as well? as GUI sounds are in PCM so this might be a PCM vs passthrough (as the video has AC3 audio in your log) issue where there's problems with PCM but not passthrough formats. Do you have any videos with AAC/flac/mp3 audio? as these would be output as PCM.
(2020-10-30, 12:14)jjd-uk Wrote: When you don't get audio from music do the GUI sounds as you navigate the UI stop as well? as GUI sounds are in PCM so this might be a PCM vs passthrough (as the video has AC3 audio in your log) issue where there's problems with PCM but not passthrough formats. Do you have any videos with AAC/flac/mp3 audio? as these would be output as PCM.

Yes.  The GUI sounds are not there either.

I've found a workaround.  I Ubuntu Settings, Power, I set blank screen to "Never" and in Privacy I set screen lock to "off."  This has taken care of the problem and music audio now comes through all the time.

That being said, it is kind of weird that I would have to change these settings.  Kodi should be able to initiate the audio by itself.  But it is working now, and I love Kodi, so I can't complain.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
On Startup No Sound for Music - But Videos Have Sound0