Solved SMB after moving from 17.x to 18.x, and existing MySQL database
Hi there,

I have been running XBMC/Kodi for a number of years, and since day 1 I've had a MySQL database, which contains all my many years of library and watch history.

I've recently had 2 clients (but historically 4-5, hence MySQL) - my main Windows 10 based HTPC, and a Virtual Machine on ESXi running LibreELEC (which is responsible for scraping new media to populate the MySQL database)

I've lagged behind a bit, and until the other day, was still rocking 17.3, however, I've now retired the old Windows PC and replaced it with a Raspberry Pi running OSMC, so am now on 18.x

My media is stored on a separate Windows 2016 server, and I have been referencing this via
Code:
sources.xml
using the notation of
Code:
smb://192.168.10.203/Videos/Movies
. Guest has read-only access to these shares, and this has worked well for me for a number of years. Unfortunately, since moving to 18.x, these shares cannot be accessed, and no files play.

I know that due to SMB level changes, I will probably need to reconfigure my sources.xml file, and maybe add a specific username/password - but how can I do this without affecting my existing library, and not have every file appear as a duplicate, with a slightly different path?

Thanks!
(2020-10-29, 19:49)ConfusedTA Wrote: My media is stored on a separate Windows 2016 server, and I have been referencing this via
Code:
smb://192.168.10.203/Videos/Movies

I know that due to SMB level changes, I will probably need to reconfigure my sources.xml file, and maybe add a specific username/password - but how can I do this without affecting my existing library, and not have every file appear as a duplicate, with a slightly different path?

Passwords are stored in passwords.xml, so for example my sources.xml:
xml:

<source>
            <name>Movies</name>
            <path pathversion="1">smb://kodi-fs1:445/media/movies/</path>
            <allowsharing>true</allowsharing>
        </source>

And my passwords.xml:
xml:

<passwords>
    <path>
        <from pathversion="1">smb://kodi-fs1:445/media/</from>
        <to pathversion="1">smb://user:pass@kodi-fs1:445/media/</to>
    </path>
</passwords>

You only need one entry in passwords.xml for a single share, since my share is "media" and I have 2 sources "media/movies" and "media/tvshows" I only need one entry in passwords.xml.  At one point back around XBMC Eden I recall it stored the username & password in the DB with the paths, but I switched from SMB, to HTTP, and back again since then.

I presume if you didn't use a user name & password before as you say then this should work for you.
Thank you very much @wagner42, that's exactly what I needed - working perfectly now Smile
Thread marked solved.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
SMB after moving from 17.x to 18.x, and existing MySQL database0