Mini PCI-e TV Tuner Doesn't Work on Desktop with Adapter
I have a rather unique problem I guess. So, I bought an Avermedia A336AE Mini PCIe TV Tuner which I am trying to make it work on my Desktop computer with an adapter (traditional PCI x1 to Mini PCIe adapter for Wi-Fi modules). Here are some interesting findings from my limited research. This tuner card only works on the laptop (Dell Latitude E6430) if the Windows 10 is being freshly installed while the card is plugged in. I doesn't get detected if I already had Windows 10 installed. I am aware that these card's doesn't have any official driver that supports Windows 10 64bit platform.

As far as the desktop computer is concerned, I attempted many times to plug in this card on a PCI x1 to Mini PCIe adapter which were originally made for Wi-Fi modules. This card never gets recognized. Whether the Windows is being freshly installed or had it already installed. It doesn't make any difference. I will change the motherboard if I have to but I really need to make it work. Another interesting observation is the adapter works just fine with Wi-Fi module. I also used the Wi-Fi module on the laptop and it also gets recognized. If the Mini-PCIe slot works on laptop isn't it should work on desktop as well? What exactly am I missing here? I read on startech website (they also manufactures these type of adapters) site that some Mini PCIe  card requires USB support in order to make the module work. Is it true? I don't think my Avermedia TV tuner has any USB port (min) on it. So, I was wondering if anyone of you guys can shed some light on this issue. Thank you in advance.
I think the MiniPCI-E standard includes a number of options (PCI-E, USB, SATA) - which both the socket and card need to support for them to work together successfully - the Mini PCI-E standard isn't just a 'shrunk PCI-E' connector.  

If your card needs USB connectivity, but your slot only provides PCI-E, or vice versa, then you probably won't have any success using them together.  So if your AverMedia card only needs the USB portion, but your PCI-E->Mini PCI-E adaptor only provides the PCI-E portion, you won't have any luck. (A card adaptor could include a PCI-E/USB adaptor on-board to support the USB-over-Mini-PCI-E option - it wouldn't necessarily have to have an external USB port to offer that, though some might also use that to implement it - or use an on-board header to allow you to use motherboard USB headers that might otherwise be unused).
(2020-11-02, 11:39)noggin Wrote: I think the MiniPCI-E standard includes a number of options (PCI-E, USB, SATA) - which both the socket and card need to support for them to work together successfully - the Mini PCI-E standard isn't just a 'shrunk PCI-E' connector.  

If your card needs USB connectivity, but your slot only provides PCI-E, or vice versa, then you probably won't have any success using them together.  So if your AverMedia card only needs the USB portion, but your PCI-E->Mini PCI-E adaptor only provides the PCI-E portion, you won't have any luck. (A card adaptor could include a PCI-E/USB adaptor on-board to support the USB-over-Mini-PCI-E option - it wouldn't necessarily have to have an external USB port to offer that, though some might also use that to implement it - or use an on-board header to allow you to use motherboard USB headers that might otherwise be unused).
While I am fully aware of the possible options within mini PCIe standards, why it works on a laptop and why it won't work on a desktop computer with an adapter that has all the options, is beyond me. I recently purchased another adapter hoping that it would resolve my issues. Alas! I received the adapter today but that didn't produce any result either. I tried with using the USB cable as well but had no luck. My last attempt would be tryning out similar adapter from Albeconn. This is most probably going to be my last attempt. Though mentally I am exhausted I didn't give up entirely yet. I can easily purchase a full fledged TV tuner but it's just the thought that I couldn't find an answer to this issue is bothering me more than anything. In any case, thank you very much for taking your time to respond to my thread.
(2021-01-09, 07:28)prokashoni Wrote:
(2020-11-02, 11:39)noggin Wrote: I think the MiniPCI-E standard includes a number of options (PCI-E, USB, SATA) - which both the socket and card need to support for them to work together successfully - the Mini PCI-E standard isn't just a 'shrunk PCI-E' connector.  

While I am fully aware of the possible options within mini PCIe standards, why it works on a laptop and why it won't work on a desktop computer with an adapter that has all the options, is beyond me. I recently purchased another adapter hoping that it would resolve my issues. Alas! I received the adapter today but that didn't produce any result either. I tried with using the USB cable as well but had no luck. My last attempt would be tryning out similar adapter from Albeconn. This is most probably going to be my last attempt. Though mentally I am exhausted I didn't give up entirely yet. I can easily purchase a full fledged TV tuner but it's just the thought that I couldn't find an answer to this issue is bothering me more than anything. In any case, thank you very much for taking your time to respond to my thread.

So with the first adaptor https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000402748151.html you've connected a USB header from your motherboard (or via a suitable cable to an external USB port) to the USB input port on the PCI-E adaptor ?  Do you know the voltage levels the Avermedia card runs at - as it also looks as if the adaptor has a voltage selector (not all mini PCI-E cards use the same levels?)

The Albeconn looks similar - but has both Micro-USB and Motherboard header style USB ports to allow you to connect external USB to the adaptor (as will be required for a USB-based Mini PCI-E card, rather than a PCI-E bus-based card)
The switch on that adapter is basically for selecting the source of the power for the card itself. Positioning it to the left means selecting USB source and right means PCIe source. I tried both while having the USB cable connected to my motherboard's header. That also didn't change anything. I am not sure about the voltage level as the adapter doesn't have any option to play around with the voltage or any label on the card that would give away some info. on that regard. I already ordered the Albeconn adapter and it's currently on its way. I am expecting to get the adapter within next few days and meanwhile I ordered and received yet another Avermedia mini PCIe tuner card (A317) which also didn't work with my adapter. Surprisingly both the card works just fine with much older Dell Latitude E6400 laptop's WWAN/SMC slot. Frustrating indeed.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Mini PCI-e TV Tuner Doesn't Work on Desktop with Adapter0