New model Raspberry Pi - the Raspberry Pi 400
Not specifically Kodi related - but the Raspberry Pi people have launched a new model today. The Pi 400 is a 4GB Raspberry Pi 4B (without the POE, CSI, DSI, Composite/Analogue connectors, and with only one USB 2.0 socket) integrated into a Raspberry Pi keyboard.  It definitely harks back to the days of 'computers in keyboards' when we had ZX Spectrums, BBC Micros, Commodore 64s and Amigas and Atari 400/800s and STs.  

It has 4GB RAM on-board, 2 x HDMI 2.0 outputs, Gigabit Ethernet, Bluetooth 5.1/BLE and WiFi 5, 2 x USB 3.0, 1 x USB 2.0, a 40-pin GPIO connector pin in standard Pi configuration but vertically mounted (so a ribbon cable or modified form factor 'boxed hat' will probably be a neater solution - but some HATs will fit - and look a bit like a ZX81 RAM pack stuck on the pack...).

There is also now a Power button (software shutdown I think), and the return of the sprung-loaded MicroSD card slot (the Pi 400 will usually be used to boot from micro SD, but can also boot from external USB 3.0 or 2.0 connected storage)

The keyboard has a large heatsink integrated (basically a large piece of metal the full width of the keyboard) - and a new revision of the SoC (as does the Compute Module 4 apparently) which allows it to be clocked as standard at 1.8GHz (the Pi 4B standard clock is 1.5GHz). The computer is based on a custom PCB - not a CM4 - which, like the Pi Zero, looks to be designed with all the components on one side of the board.  There's a microcontroller handling keyboard duties which interfaces to the Pi via USB internally (I guess that took out one of the two USB 2.0 ports)

I doubt people will want this form factor for pure Kodi installations (it's a neat desktop solution though - just plug in a USB Type C PSU, Mouse and monitor - the former two items are bundled in a starter pack along with a Micro SD card, Micro->Full Size HDMI cable and a book) - but thought I'd mention it.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspber...esktop-pc/

Cost is £67.50 (inc VAT) /$70 (probably excluding sales tax)
Thread moved to hardware
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2020-11-02, 11:35)DarrenHill Wrote: Thread moved to hardware

Hello
Does the libreelec sad card for the pi 4 works with the new pi 400? Read that the new pi 400 hdmi only supports audio so not suitable for use as a Kodi video mediacenter.?
Thanks
(2020-11-02, 17:19)galopogos Wrote:

Hello
Does the libreelec sad card for the pi 4 works with the new pi 400? Read that the new pi 400 hdmi only supports audio so not suitable for use as a Kodi video mediacenter.?
Thanks

Not sure what you mean.  The only difference between the Pi 4B+ and the Pi 400 is that the Pi 400 doesn't have the analogue stereo audio + composite video output on the 3.5mm jack, nor does it have a second USB 2.0 connector (or the internal PoE, CSI or DSI connectors) (I believe the second USB 2.0 connection is used internally to connect to a microcontroller that interfaces the keyboard)

The Pi 400 has 2 x Micro HDMI outputs - the same as the Pi 4B+ - and will support audio over them as well as video.  It's the same SoC (albeit a new revision) as the Pi 4B+ - so no difference in core A/V functionality.  

You may need to wait a couple of days for a LibreElec image to be bootable if newer firmware is required to be on the uSD card - but the LE team usually get advanced notice of these changes - so it may be fine.

I know a lot of people are excited about the Pi 400 as an emulator platform - it strikes me as less suitable for a Kodi Media Player in conventional 'set top box' terms as it increases the size and adds a keyboard most people won't need in that use case - but I see no reason why it won't work.
(2020-11-02, 17:19)galopogos Wrote: Does the libreelec sd card for the pi 4 works with the new pi 400? Read that the new pi 400 hdmi only supports audio so not suitable for use as a Kodi video mediacenter.?

The firmware and kernel on LibreELEC v9.2.x are a bit too old (kernel 4.19), LibreELEC 9.2.5/9.2.6 will run with limited support (probably no wifi/BT) on the Pi400.
Replace start.elf/fixup.dat with the latest start4x.elf/fixup4x.dat files from here: https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/...aster/boot

LibreELEC 10 will fully support the Pi 400 with the more up-to-date kernel v5.4.
Interesting! Still remember my old speccy and I am between PCs atm, so...

Would be nice if you could power it from a USB C dock while driving monitor etc from same connection.
(2020-11-02, 18:26)noggin Wrote:
(2020-11-02, 17:19)galopogos Wrote:

Hello
Thanks

Not sure what you mean.  The only difference between the Pi 4B+ and the Pi 400 is that the Pi 400 doesn't have the analogue stereo audio + composite video output on the 3.5mm jack, nor does it have a second USB 2.0 connector (or the internal PoE, CSI or DSI connectors) (I believe the second USB 2.0 connection is used internally to connect to a microcontroller that interfaces the keyboard)

The Pi 400 has 2 x Micro HDMI outputs - the same as the Pi 4B+ - and will support audio over them as well as video.  It's the same SoC (albeit a new revision) as the Pi 4B+ - so no difference in core A/V functionality.  

You may need to wait a couple of days for a LibreElec image to be bootable if newer firmware is required to be on the uSD card - but the LE team usually get advanced notice of these changes - so it may be fine.

I know a lot of people are excited about the Pi 400 as an emulator platform - it strikes me as less suitable for a Kodi Media Player in conventional 'set top box' terms as it increases the size and adds a keyboard most people won't need in that use case - but I see no reason why it won't work.

Thanks a lot!
Thanks guys for your answers
Got one pi 400 yesterday with a raspbian se card from pi org

Tried to install Kodi : did it via command line and also added some packages via the install programs menu
It worked but the pvr submenu was not there in the install from repositories main menu

1- I have uninstalled and removed the Kodi folders in the file system
2- but I don’t manage to install it again
3- if I type Kodi in the Linux cmd line a black screen pops up and then it goes back to the desktop
Can someone help me with the best way to install it on pi 400 raspbian OS? I would prefer to not create a new image of the sd card and to reuse the current sd card from the pi foundation . Don’t know if it is possible to get this image for pi 400 at their side

Thanks a lot
Hello
Still lost in how to install kodi / libreelec on the PI400. Can someone please help me with instructions ?
Thanks a lot
(2021-11-20, 08:55)galopogos Wrote: Still lost in how to install kodi / libreelec on the PI400. Can someone please help me with instructions ?

You could visit the LibreELEC forum for such questions, and their Wiki: https://wiki.libreelec.tv/installation/create-media

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New model Raspberry Pi - the Raspberry Pi 4000