v19 Kodi 19.0 Tone Mapping improvements - Beta test build (merged)
(2020-11-05, 13:08)jogal Wrote: Thanks for confirming it works on GT1030!

There are probably small details that can be improved but at this point the important thing is to test it on different systems (rule out fatal crash errors, etc.)

The code has already been merged into kodi master branch!

Yes please can we get more user feedback here even if it's just to say it's working well for you.

It's been merged as the code was seen as being well encapsulated and of low risk of introducing any unexpected side effects, but we're hoping to get to at least Release Candidate stage for v19 by end of December, so we only have a limited time to get any issues resolved that might arise.

As it was merged this morning it will be available in tomorrows Nightly builds here http://mirrors.kodi.tv/nightlies/windows/win64/master/
Thanks @jogal for your continued work on all things HDR & DirectX related, and especially for this. When Tone Mapping was introduced it was recognised at the time that Reinhard would only provide a basic level of tone mapping, so it was always envisioned that there might become a variety of algorithms available to the user over time, so the Team is really pleased to see this happen even if it's just for Windows at the moment.
Running a 2080 super and it works just fine for me, and I seem to prefer Hable.  Thank you for the work on this!
hello,
works fine and uses little hardware, especially GPU RAM. I also prefer Hable.
I use a GT1030 Silent under Windows 7 and Windows 10 on a panasonic HD plasma.
Would it be possible to have a POP UP when using the keymap shortcut ALT + F11.
On the other hand, the tone mapping parameters under OSD are lost each time KODI is started.
Thanks again for your work
I can also comfirm changing algo's doesn't stick (even when using the video menu and using save as default)
Seems to work fine on Sapphire Ultimate R7 250 (which is actually a rebadged Radeon 7750). Using Pixel Shaders (no HEVC HW decoder). Also works fine on UHD630 using DXVA.

I only have one HDR10 movie (I stick to good old H264/non-HDR when possible) and there is a big difference between the three modes. I prefer Aces Filmic on plasma TV. Hable rids too much dark detail, Reinhard washes out colors. Although I have no idea how the film is supposed to look anymore. Smile

Overall a very nice addition to Kodi, thanks!
Works great on a Windows 10 system with i5-2500K @ 3.3 GHz, GTX 1050 TI on a Philips 70PUS7304. But the shortcut ALT+F11 doesn't work for me though.
(2020-11-02, 17:23)ashlar Wrote: Is this implementation multiplatform or Windows only?

Following jogal's lead a PR porting these tone map methods to OpenGL for Linux has now been raised.
Version 6.2.0
Updated at 10-11-2020 (forked from Kodi 19 alpha master).

"Set as default for all media" option from Video settings OSD menu can be used to set tone map method & param that be used by default on all videos.

https://github.com/thexai/xbmc/releases

Also is stored at DB individual tone map values (method and param) for a particular media library items if different from defaults.
(2020-11-10, 11:59)jogal Wrote: Version 6.2.0
Updated at 10-11-2020 (forked from Kodi 19 alpha master).

"Set as default for all media" option from Video settings OSD menu can be used to set tone map method & param that be used by default on all videos.

https://github.com/thexai/xbmc/releases

Also is stored at DB individual tone map values (method and param) for a particular media library items if different from defaults.
Thank you, now this is very good!
Hi all,

this is on a NIVIDIA 1030 GPU.

ACES_Filmic:
HABLE:
original SDR:
ACES_Filmic:
Reinhard:
HABLE:
original SDR:

Looks like HABLE comes closest to original SDR.
Just another question. I also did try playback using VLC and MPHC and hte colour conversion that VLC/MPHC applies comes even closer to the original. Anyway to use their tone mapping?
Thanks again @jogal
hoping that one day a sharpness adjustment will be included in kodi for windows. I will finally be able to part with Madvr.

@ am2015
I made the same observation as you concerning MPC-HC / MPC-BE.
(2020-11-11, 17:34)am2015 Wrote: Just another question. I also did try playback using VLC and MPHC and hte colour conversion that VLC/MPHC applies comes even closer to the original. Anyway to use their tone mapping?

VLC have several methods as well, do you know which it was?

I believe these are the relevant files:

https://code.videolan.org/videolan/libpl...lorspace.h
https://code.videolan.org/videolan/libpl...lorspace.c

It seems they have a choice of:

PL_TONE_MAPPING_REINHARD,
PL_TONE_MAPPING_HABLE,
PL_TONE_MAPPING_GAMMA,
PL_TONE_MAPPING_LINEAR,
PL_TONE_MAPPING_BT_2390

[edit] Actually upon looking further I think VLC only uses libplacebo for OpenGL on Linux, for Windows this seems to be the shader file https://code.videolan.org/videolan/vlc-3..._shaders.c
@jjd-uk  I did check VLC and have no clue what is being used. Looks like there's some default. I have seen that in the output modules it is only possible to select tone mapping methods in OpenGL and there HABLE is default, but it looks like whatever I select, the output looks the same even when changing output from automatic to explicilty use OpenGL and then chnaging the tone mapping method, there's no change regardless which method is being used.
(2020-11-11, 17:59)roby69 Wrote: Thanks again @jogal
hoping that one day a sharpness adjustment will be included in kodi for windows. I will finally be able to part with Madvr.
Considering @jogal awesome work so far, I am starting to feel optimistic about better upscaling algorithms being ported to Kodi. NGU is proprietary to madVR but there are several others already implemented in mpv that maybe could be ported? One can always dream... :-)
(2020-11-09, 20:07)jjd-uk Wrote:
(2020-11-02, 17:23)ashlar Wrote: Is this implementation multiplatform or Windows only?

Following jogal's lead a PR porting these tone map methods to OpenGL for Linux has now been raised.
This is beautiful open development at its best. I asked for that, I am a Windows user but I love when I see things coming together the right way in Kodi.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi 19.0 Tone Mapping improvements - Beta test build (merged)0