Argh ... ODROID N2+ vs Vero 4K+. I just can't decide!
Hi there,

I'm hijacking this thread, because I'm kind of in the same position. I treated myself to an LG CX9 Oled. But now my 5I5RYK Nuc is finally out of date, as it's not capable of fluent 4k playback, never mind HDR.
So I need an option for 4K and HDR with full HEVC support.

Would the ODroid be compatible with FLIRC? Or is there a remote working out of the box with it?

One thing I'm concernced with is handling more complex skins. I once tried a Wetek Hub a while back with Estuary Mod v2 and it was a nightmare. No smooth scrolling through my files, no snappy reaction, etc. And that's a must for me. Would the Odroid be a fit there?

Or do I need to go all current gen NUC?
(2020-11-10, 22:17)-Zeppelin- Wrote: Hi there,

I'm hijacking this thread, because I'm kind of in the same position. I treated myself to an LG CX9 Oled. But now my 5I5RYK Nuc is finally out of date, as it's not capable of fluent 4k playback, never mind HDR.
So I need an option for 4K and HDR with full HEVC support.

Would the ODroid be compatible with FLIRC? Or is there a remote working out of the box with it?

You don’t even need a FLIRC because the N2 has a front mounted Infra Red receiver, that is - yes - compatible with a wide range of remotes.

Quote:One thing I'm concernced with is handling more complex skins. I once tried a Wetek Hub a while back with Estuary Mod v2 and it was a nightmare. No smooth scrolling through my files, no snappy reaction, etc. And that's a must for me. Would the Odroid be a fit there?

Intel i series hardware will always have a bit of an edge (vs ARM) with Kodi Python encoded Skins / Addons because of superior single threaded CPU performance. However the gap has narrowed considerably in recent years.

The CPU package in recent AMLogic ARM based S922X chipsets are no slouches and are pretty snappy and smooth for the $$$ paid, especially if you also use eMMC storage and a responsive Wireless remote.

Infra red remotes and slower SD card storage always make devices seem slower.

Oh and one more thing, the N2 CoreLEC combo has well sorted and highly configurable HDMI CEC control that works well with major TV brands and AVR’s.

The FLIRC works perfectly on the N2.
I own both an N2 and a Vero 4k. Both are very good. I'm not sure if this had been said or is of interest but for me the Odroid running CoreELEC wins for 2 reasons.

Firstly, CoreELEC lets you run docker which, in turn, lets you install Plex Media Server and it works very well and will even transcode most 1080p H265 for sending to clients that can't cope with H265 (a trusty old S802). Updates are automatically loaded.

Secondly, the DAC in the N2 is super, so music played thro the 3.5mm jack to my stereo amp sounds great.

(2020-11-15, 11:02)sonofdibnah Wrote: I own both an N2 and a Vero 4k. Both are very good. I'm not sure if this had been said or is of interest but for me the Odroid running CoreELEC wins for 2 reasons.

Firstly, CoreELEC lets you run docker which, in turn, lets you install Plex Media Server and it works very well and will even transcode most 1080p H265 for sending to clients that can't cope with H265 (a trusty old S802). Updates are automatically loaded.

Secondly, the DAC in the N2 is super, so music played thro the 3.5mm jack to my stereo amp sounds great.

Docker should work just fine on the 4K/4K+. If you have any issues with this, please open a support ticket.

Cheers

Sam

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Argh ... ODROID N2+ vs Vero 4K+. I just can't decide!0