• 54(current)
Animated Movie and TV Show Posters
Antebellum (2020) (Pt.1) (Live-Action)

(GIF)
Image  Image
Antebellum (2020) (Pt.1)

(GIF)
Image  Image
Puss in Boots (2011) (Pt.1) (Image found online. Re-worked for use in Kodi)

(GIF)
Image  Image
American Gods (2017) (Pt.1) (Images found online. Re-worked for use in Kodi)

(GIF)
Image  Image
Hell or High Water (2016) (Pt.1) (Live-Action)

(GIF)
Image  Image

Image  Image
Devotion (2022) (Pt.2) (Image found online. Re-worked for use in Kodi)

(GIF)
Devotion (2022) (Pt.3) (Live-Action)

(GIF)
Image  Image
Wow I’m new here and been looking at these amazing motion posters!

Quick question. All of them are 750x450 resolution. Do you all make it like that or is there a way to see them at a higher resolution?
(2023-01-08, 22:04)gdennisbox Wrote: Wow I’m new here and been looking at these amazing motion posters!

Quick question. All of them are 750x450 resolution. Do you all make it like that or is there a way to see them at a higher resolution?

If by resolution you mean larger i.e. 2000x3000 the answer is yes but you will run into issues of them clipping or not playing. Plus, the file size will be very large, much, much higher than recommended.  There will be issues.

The image size of 500x750 is pushing the max resolution of 500x700 (recommended) for animated posters in Kodi.  Anything that goes beyond this for animated posters will begin to clip or not play at all.

As it goes the recommended specs by Kodi for GIF is 500x700 at MAX of 60 frames.

Kodi can display APNG at 500x700 at a MAX of 17 frames (as far as I know, APNG has not been recommended by Kodi as of yet).

As stated before, I make mine APNG and GIF at 500x750 without any issues on my machine.  This may not be the same for all users.

This information is listed at the top of the posted lists:
APNG=Animated PNG - Has better image quality but has a much lower frame count (17 frames @ 4mb or fewer) to work properly within Kodi.

***Remember to change the .PNG file extension to .APNG for it to work in Kodi*** Example: change IMAGE NAME.PNG to IMAGE NAME.APNG
              ***Also see this post for more info (Click here) ***
Notice:
Animated PNG (APNG) is not yet supported by all major browsers. It is currently supported by Firefox, Google Chrome, Opera and Safari.
You can find more about current state of APNG support in different browsers at https://caniuse.com/#search=apng
Contagion (2011) (Pt.1)

(GIF)
Image  Image
Divergent (2014) (Pt.2) (Image found online. Re-worked for use in Kodi)

(GIF)
(2023-01-08, 23:16)Klatue Wrote: The image size of 500x750 is pushing the max resolution of 500x700 (recommended) for animated posters in Kodi.  Anything that goes beyond this for animated posters will begin to clip or not play at all.

I know you understand way more than I do about any of this.  Just putting out there some of my experiences.

Fwiw, I've messed around with a free open source upscaling program.  Do a search for video2x-4.8.1. 

I've upscaled a few .gifs, .jpg's, .png's, etc.  To my eye they look like unwanted noisy detail is removed and edges are smoothed.  The trick is finding a scale that doesn't lose the desired detail - usually a factor of 2x is sufficient although I've pushed it to see if Kodi rejects too much but haven't hit a noticeable limit.  Of course, the picture is enlarged so when it's rendered smaller as a poster in Kodi, it pops more than the original. 

What I do is use the original as a poster on a title and the upscaled one on the poster next to it so I can see both at the same time SBS just to compare.  Some of the gifs go way beyond what isn't supposed work and they don't clip either.  Some are about 10secs runtime.  I don't know the number of frames but it's got to be way more than 60 I think.  I could be wrong.  

I've gathered some lenticular animated posters as well when nothing else is available.  For example:  I've upscaled 334x425 1.13MB to 1336x1700 14.3MB with no affect other than looking better.  There's nothing special about my PC either.  In fact, it's ancient...

Out of curiosity, have you ever ignored the specs and tried a supercharged .gif in Kodi?  I should add, a poster is about 13" x 8 1/2" on my screen so resolution matters.  That said, all your creations look very good.  I'm particularly fond of the actual movie snippets you provide vs the drawings.  I never use .gif's that don't include the title name somewhere in the animation and I'm pleased you give us a choice of with or without.  You really are talented.  I've only messed with low res .gif's I've gathered elsewhere and I use about 900 in total.  I use no frills adjustments of Aeon Nox Silvo because things can really get way too busy imo.  That said, I think .gif's are the bomb and I hope you never lose interest making and sharing them.  As always, THANK YOU!
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
(2023-01-10, 23:21)brazen1 Wrote:
(2023-01-08, 23:16)Klatue Wrote:  

Fwiw, I've messed around with a free open source upscaling program.  Do a search for video2x-4.8.1. 

-I checked it out, couldn't get it to work on my setup. Didn't appear to be beginner user-friendly. Check this out http://redketchup.io

Some of the gifs go way beyond what isn't supposed work and they don't clip either.  Some are about 10secs runtime.  I don't know the number of frames but it's got to be way more than 60 I think.  I could be wrong.  

-Runtime of a GIF depends on how long each frame of the GIF is displayed on screen in milliseconds; for example, at a frame rate of 1000ms per frame, each frame of the GIF will display for 1 second.  Based on this example, if you have a GIF that plays for a minute, that GIF is 60 frames long. Now, this is just a basic example.  Most GIF have variable frame rates which affects the runtime.

If you'd like to know how many frames are in one of your GIF's, you can upload it to ezgif.com and choose "Optimize".  It will display the information below the uploaded image. And for even more information you can choose "Frames" and it will separate the image so you can see the duration of each frame of the GIF.

With the specs I use for my images, 500x750 @ 60 frames or fewer and most with a 100ms frame rate, anything above 60 frames will break the image In Kodi.  Also, the size (mb) of the file will affect how it displays. If you have GIF's working in Kodi that are more than 60 frames, consider yourself lucky.  Try uploading one of those images to ezgif and see what the specs are.  I'm curious to know.

Out of curiosity, have you ever ignored the specs and tried a supercharged .gif in Kodi?

-Yes, I have tried, this is how I know what works on my machine.

That said, all your creations look very good.

-Honestly, looking back I can say, not all.  This has been a learning experience for me.  Luckily there are a lot of really talented people out there for me to emulate.

I've only messed with low res .gif's I've gathered elsewhere and I use about 900 in total.

-Only 900.!?

That said, I think .gif's are the bomb and I hope you never lose interest making and sharing them.  As always, THANK YOU!

-Who knows what the future holds. Maybe, you'll start making and sharing...  And thank you for keeping me motivated!
Here's an original with no upscaling.  It's 20secs duration.

ImageImage
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
(2023-01-11, 03:33)brazen1 Wrote: "Here's an original with no upscaling.  It's 20secs duration".

-I found the image:  File size: 23.72MiB, width: 320px, height: 500px, frames: 378, type: gif

I resized the image to 500x750 and the animation clips right as the lion crosses the screen and nothing after that played (60 frames)

I used the original aspect of 320x500 and the animation clips at the point right after the lion crosses the screen with nothing playing after that. (100 frames)

It would appear that the smaller the image more frames will be
displayed on screen.

Like I said, you are one lucky user because I couldn't get the whole animation to play on my machine.

I think I will stick with what works for me; it seems to be the most compatible across the board.
  • 54(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Animated Movie and TV Show Posters0