Android Full subtitle instead of forced subtitle
Lightbulb 
Hi,

I am using kodi with automatic settings for English audio and French subtitle. However, when there are two French subtitle, the full one and the forced one, the default is the forced subtitle which doesn't contain all texts...

Do you have any idea how to solve that?

Thanks
(2020-11-13, 19:25)RomainD2 Wrote: Hi,

I am using kodi with automatic settings for English audio and French subtitle. However, when there are two French subtitle, the full one and the forced one, the default is the forced subtitle which doesn't contain all texts...

Do you have any idea how to solve that?

Thanks
Not sure how to do it through kodi, but run video through mkvtoolnix & set the default sub there.
(2020-11-13, 19:25)RomainD2 Wrote: when there are two French subtitle, the full one and the forced one, the default is the forced subtitle which doesn't contain all texts

Hmm... How is Kodi supposed to know which subtitles contains all texts or not?
As already mentioned, using MKVtoolnix can fix loads of problems.
Personally I remove all unnecessary stuff from video files, it makes playing the videos so much easier.
(2020-11-13, 20:37)Klojum Wrote:
(2020-11-13, 19:25)RomainD2 Wrote: when there are two French subtitle, the full one and the forced one, the default is the forced subtitle which doesn't contain all texts

Hmm... How is Kodi supposed to know which subtitles contains all texts or not?
As already mentioned, using MKVtoolnix can fix loads of problems.
Personally I remove all unnecessary stuff from video files, it makes playing the videos so much easier.

Because the forced one is always called "FRENCH [FORCED]".

I don't understand why kodi choose this one instead of the other one which is only specified "FRENCH".

I would like to avoid mkvtoolnix which is a great software, but I am using kodi in an android device (TV shield) and I would avoid to use my computer for each video files...

Is it possible to implement this feature?
Subtitles can have two parameters: default and/or forced. Either one will have precedence over other subtitles with the same language that have none of these parameters.

If your video has a subtitle stream that is incomplete for whatever reason, then the person(s) that did the muxing of the video file did a crap job.
Stuff like that can be fixed. With MKVtoolnix you can change parameters. Or, you download an external subtitle with the proper and complete lines.

At the moment there are many different requests regarding subtitles that contradict each other, making it impossible to grant everyone's wishes.
(2020-11-13, 22:29)Klojum Wrote: Subtitles can have two parameters: default and/or forced. Either one will have precedence over other subtitles with the same language that have none of these parameters.

If your video has a subtitle stream that is incomplete for whatever reason, then the person(s) that did the muxing of the video file did a crap job.
Stuff like that can be fixed. With MKVtoolnix you can change parameters. Or, you download an external subtitle with the proper and complete lines.

At the moment there are many different requests regarding subtitles that contradict each other, making it impossible to grant everyone's wishes.
The problem is that the default subtitle is always the forced one on every video files, which is normal when watching in our native language because forced subtitle should appears when it can't be translated by the audio track. So kodi always select the forced subtitle ! It is not because of crap muxing I think, It is a "normal" use case.

However, there are another use case, when we cant to watch a movie in "VOST". We need for example the english audio track, and the french subtitle text. I think it could be a good idea to be able to have two choices for every language in the KODI subtitle default settings, based on the forced parameter, or maybe just a check box when we cant to force the non-forced subtitle track instead of the default subtitle track.

What do you think about that ? I could grant everyone's wishes, except if I forgot another use case ?

Thanks

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Full subtitle instead of forced subtitle0