Which box X96 vs Odroid HC4 or N2+
I have been through choose the right box thread and would just like to get some more clarity on the box it buy. 

First my setup. 65inch hisense UHD Q Dot H9F coupled with a onlyo 575e and 7.1 atmos setup

most media is TV series streamed through KODI addon or casted though android app. Movies tend to be remux rips which is on a local share. everything is hardwired and gigabit

first choice seems to be the N2 but at almost double the price of the X96 air 4gb, seems I should go that route with core elec. 

I most likely will get the series X but that does not seem the best thing to use for media playback. 

thoughts?
I tried libreelec on my rpi4 4gb and Gemini man was stuttering/buffering alot
(2020-11-15, 11:51)yusufptl Wrote: I have been through choose the right box thread and would just like to get some more clarity on the box it buy. 

First my setup. 65inch hisense UHD Q Dot H9F coupled with a onlyo 575e and 7.1 atmos setup

most media is TV series streamed through KODI addon or casted though android app. Movies tend to be remux rips which is on a local share. everything is hardwired and gigabit

first choice seems to be the N2 but at almost double the price of the X96 air 4gb, seems I should go that route with core elec. 

I most likely will get the series X but that does not seem the best thing to use for media playback. 

thoughts?

Hi,

ODROID HC4, really is setup if you want a mini NAS, CoreELEC Kodi device all in the one package. CoreELEC OS already includes a SAMBA file server packaged in with it.

4GB RAM - AML S905X3 - X96 Air (not the "F") or even a 4GB RAM X96 Max Plus, both have Gigabit LAN, which you need for high bitrate 4K Remux's that have accompanying lossless Multichannel HD audio.

The ODROID N2+ has an AML S922X chipset and also Gigabit LAN, and is a bit snappier due to a more powerful chipset.
It's the device to use if you want to do more like running a transcoding Plex server and Retro gaming.

N2+ also has the best passive heat sink setup going around, which means it will likely last a long time vs generic Android boxes from China.

Hardware video decoding will be identical on both.
And so will Kodi audio support due to both of them using the exact same CoreELEC OS, same v4.9 Linux Kernel and same modded Kodi.

You can install CoreELEC from a microSDHC to internal eMMC storage easily, so X96 Air boots straight into Kodi, by using the inbuilt ceemmc tool (click)

Grab one of those USB mini dongle WeChip G20S or G30S (or clones) wireless remotes, that are often packaged with S905X3 devices and job done. Smile

(2020-11-15, 15:37)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2020-11-15, 11:51)yusufptl Wrote: I have been through choose the right box thread and would just like to get some more clarity on the box it buy. 

thoughts?

Hi,

ODROID HC4, really is setup if you want a mini NAS, CoreELEC Kodi device all in the one package. CoreELEC OS already includes a SAMBA file server packaged in with it.

4GB RAM - AML S905X3 - X96 Air (not the "F") or even a 4GB RAM X96 Max Plus, both have Gigabit LAN, which you need for high bitrate 4K Remux's that have accompanying lossless Multichannel HD audio.

The ODROID N2+ has an AML S922X chipset and also Gigabit LAN, and is a bit snappier due to a more powerful chipset.
It's the device to use if you want to do more like running a transcoding Plex server and Retro gaming.

N2+ also has the best passive heat sink setup going around, which means it will likely last a long time vs generic Android boxes from China.

And so will Kodi audio support due to both of them using the exact same CoreELEC OS, same v4.9 Linux Kernel and same modded Kodi.

You can install CoreELEC from a microSDHC to internal eMMC storage easily, so X96 Air boots straight into Kodi, by using the inbuilt ceemmc tool (click)

Grab one of those USB mini dongle WeChip G20S or G30S (or clones) wireless remotes, that are often packaged with S905X3 devices and job done. Smile

Picked up the x96 air and will try it out.

thoughts?

Hi,

I've had a hard time finding good information on the 4GB RAM - AML S905X3 - X96 Air device. I don't see an official thread for it on the Kodi forum. If this device is paired with CoreELEC OS can it do Dolby HD audio, DTS-HD, and Atmos? Also can it do these in Android OS? 

If it does HD audio in CoreELEC OS I'm surprised it's not a more popular alternative to the Odroid N2+ among Kodi users considering how cheap it can be found.
(2020-12-03, 22:18)porter944 Wrote:

thoughts?

Hi,

I've had a hard time finding good information on the 4GB RAM - AML S905X3 - X96 Air device. I don't see an official thread for it on the Kodi forum. If this device is paired with CoreELEC OS can it do Dolby HD audio, DTS-HD, and Atmos? Also can it do these in Android OS? 

There are a few threads about such devices like the X96 Air and X96 Max+ over on the CoreELEC forums, like THIS one (click)

The 4GB RAM versions have Gigabit Ethernet (1000M) and come with Android (tablet) OS v9.0 Pie. (unless the seller gets it wrong which can happen)

ALL such GigaE equipped S905X series devices running CE Kodi can do 4K HDR & HD audio inc. Atmos

The reason ODROID’s and Ugoos are mentioned so much in this Kodi forum is they have properly engineered heatsinks so you can Max out their chipsets and run them at full speed - all the time - if trying to squeeze out every bit of performance.
They also have all the same Hardware configs and internal components, so you know exactly what you are getting.

(2020-12-03, 22:18)porter944 Wrote: I've had a hard time finding good information on the 4GB RAM - AML S905X3 - X96 Air device. I don't see an official thread for it on the Kodi forum. If this device is paired with CoreELEC OS can it do Dolby HD audio, DTS-HD, and Atmos? Also can it do these in Android OS? 

Does pretty much everything running CoreElec - HD Audio bit streaming, HDR10 UHD replay etc. A few funnies around seeking in h.265 content in some situations still I think - but apart from that it's a great solution. CPU not quite as powerful as the N2/N2+ for software decoded content AIUI.

No idea about Android - I only use my Air on CoreElec.
Quote:If it does HD audio in CoreELEC OS I'm surprised it's not a more popular alternative to the Odroid N2+ among Kodi users considering how cheap it can be found.

They are VERY popular if you go to the CoreElec forums - however the cheaper boxes are cheaper for a reason - they have lower build quality in some cases (sometimes the eMMC used isn't that great) and often have lower quality cooling solutions. (Some people on the CoreElec forums have resorted to DIY case mods to allow for better heatsinks and fans). There can also be quite a lot of variation in detailed hardware specs between models that look superficially very similar - making device tree stuff a bit more complex - whereas the Odroid models are a 'known quantity' so have a much better guarantee of simple installation.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Which box X96 vs Odroid HC4 or N2+0