iOS14 migration done, need review
Hi all,

I worked on migrating the Kodi Remote App to iOS14 and pushed the changes to GitHub. The changes are available here: iOS14-migration branch on KodiRemoteApp-fork. Locally I compiled and tested with the XCode simulator and my iPhone XS while using Kodi 17.6 as server. The crashes and malfunctions I observed since iOS14 are fixed for me with this updated code. As I have a limited set of use cases (Kodi only use for Music files) it would be great if others can review and test, if this works for them as well.

Main changes which made it work:
- Replaced JSONKit with NSJSONSerialization as suggested in iOS14 Release Notes
- Added iOS14 related Target Properties to support the new Local Network Access policy

Other changes are related to fix compile time and runtime warnings, color code and a crash observed.

Regards,
Buschel
Hi,

I'm glad finally someone works on the app again! I tested it, so far it works fine. There is still one major bug: the app crashes if the search is used (I use TV-Shows / Movies with Kodi). I hope you can submit the app to the official App-Store. I really don't know if the Kodi-Team does not care about the iOS-App because this Forum is nearly dead, but I use the app daily and would be happy if it works flawless (and optimized for the iPhone X-Screen) again. I managed to compile the old project in an VM on my Windows-PC and have to do this once a week...
Hi,

good to see there is some interest. I am also using the app quite regularly and was a bit shocked when it stopped working with iOS14. I really hope the originator is still here and can review the changes I did. I am not an iOS developer and am learning by doing right now.

On the simulator I could reproduce the crash you reported. Looks like this is caused by another deprecated function which is deeply embedded into the app´s code. I tried to throw out the deprecated functions, but this caused the sorting and thumb/line view to vanish (didn´t work anyhow since the rebuild). Also, the search bar is visually not behaving as I want it. But for my music use cases the search works again now. Branch for testing: UISearchController-migration branch.

Regards,
Buschel
Please fix the iPhone remote app.
It’s very broken and buggy. We use it daily!
How can I test without having a mac or suitable dev environment? Testflight possible?
Not yet, there are a few obstacles.
  1. As far as I understood one needs to register at Apple to be able to upload anything to the AppStore. So, would be great if there is someone here who already has a valid account. There is some cost involved.
  2. I am quite sure the App in its current state won´t be accepted as there are still a lot of deprecated functions used by the current implementation. It can be given a try -- if we can solve issue 1 --, but I expect further cleanup is required.

Current state on the migration branches on github:
  • iOS14 migration: Did several smaller fixes for the iPad (mainly toolbar related)
  • SearchController migration: I am stuck with the Search-function rework. It works ok'ish for iPhone, but on iPad I cannot select any item from the search results list.

Local version, not published yet:
  • As I am not using search I removed this function completety on a local branch which I did not push yet.
  • Removed UIWebView completely. Instead of using an internal browser, simply call the system browser.
  • Both above remove several deprecated functions.
Some impressions on how the UI looks on an iPhone XS which uses the increased vertical space.

Image  Image Image

Image Image
Great to see you working on this @Buschel. I'll bring it up internally to see if we can get someone to possibly get a hold of @joethefox or to possibly run it though the Kodi Dev account
@Fuzzard, thanks for taking this up. Would be great to get some support on handling this.

From what I read in the web the code changes I pushed to github would not yet allow an upload to AppStore. For example all references to UIWebView must be removed. Also, I am sure we should not upload any version which still crashes or does not behave properly when using the search in the database. I did some changes to remove the related functionality. This impacts the search (not possible at all), the in-App browsing (wikipedia search now just calls the system browser, in-app trailers not shown anymore) and the collection view / sorting (not possible to change as the crashing search bar was combined with the buttons to change the sorting and collection view). Less functionality, but working.
(2020-11-30, 10:53)Fuzzard Wrote: Great to see you working on this @Buschel. I'll bring it up internally to see if we can get someone to possibly get a hold of @joethefox or to possibly run it though the Kodi Dev account

Any news?
@Buschel Feel free to do a PR against the kodi org repo https://github.com/xbmc/Official-Kodi-Remote-iOS

Will get a review started of the changes, and then work through the specifics of the app store submission
(2020-12-19, 00:59)Fuzzard Wrote: @Buschel Feel free to do a PR against the kodi org repo https://github.com/xbmc/Official-Kodi-Remote-iOS

Will get a review started of the changes, and then work through the specifics of the app store submission

Just did: https://github.com/xbmc/Official-Kodi-Re...S/pull/101

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
iOS14 migration done, need review0