Kodi 19 matrix, android nvidia shield hdhomerun pvr channel group crash
Title is a mouthfull, I know

I got the Kodi 19 pushed to my nvidia shield devices today.

Had a rough start with my kids in and the synology database for Kodi here : https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2990322 but it's fine now

Bit the bullet and went all in on Matrix, so far so good.

But there's a wife acceptance factor issue with pvr on android shields, the new channel group feature when shown, takes down the application

Here's the log from the nvidia shield

https://paste.kodi.tv/buyuxeqoci.kodi

Works absolutely fine on osx, looks like a nice feature, but it's no go on android.
Deleted the entire .kodi directory and enabled debug

Installed the "official" hdhomerun addon from the repository, and Kodi crashes.

Looks like it's the creation of the channel group pictures, on osx, you can see a couple channels, but on the shield, they are blank

https://paste.kodi.tv/agoqosuxay.kodi
(2020-11-25, 02:34)sebj Wrote: Deleted the entire .kodi directory and enabled debug

Looks like it's the creation of the channel group pictures, on osx, you can see a couple channels, but on the shield, they are blank

I am not sure if you are aware but SiliconDust has recently indicated dropping support for their "official" Kodi addon.  The "unofficial" addon is fully supported and works much better.  I have the "unofficial" addon running with Matrix under Windows.

Jeff
Running with the Mezzmo Kodi addon.  The easier way to share your media with multiple Kodi clients.
Service.autostop , CBC Sports, Kodi Selective Cleaner and Mezzmo Kodi addon author.
(2020-11-25, 04:06)jbinkley60 Wrote:
(2020-11-25, 02:34)sebj Wrote: Deleted the entire .kodi directory and enabled debug

I am not sure if you are aware but SiliconDust has recently indicated dropping support for their "official" Kodi addon.  The "unofficial" addon is fully supported and works much better.  I have the "unofficial" addon running with Matrix under Windows.

Jeff

Yes, I normally use the unofficial addon, but kept it as stock as possible as far as addons go (didn't want to get a message like this)

Don't clearly see a dead giveaway to any issue, but since I had debug on the UI did report a massive spike in cpu usage before terminating.

I own both the 2017 and 2019 64 bit versions of the shield and they both exhibit the same behaviour.

Is there an even more specific way of logging that I can try ? The repro steps are pretty straightforward.
The unofficial addon is fine, and won't get you a violation message.

As a rule of thumb, if it's from our repo or has an established thread for support here, then it's fine.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2020-11-25, 10:15)DarrenHill Wrote: The unofficial addon is fine, and won't get you a violation message.

As a rule of thumb, if it's from our repo or has an established thread for support here, then it's fine.

Thanks.  In this case "official" and "unofficial" simply denotes whether SiliconDust supports the code vs. one of the users.  SiliconDust hosts the support thread forum for the "Unofficial" addon and comment that part of their reason for dropping the official version is due to the popularity of the unofficial addon. 

Jeff
Running with the Mezzmo Kodi addon.  The easier way to share your media with multiple Kodi clients.
Service.autostop , CBC Sports, Kodi Selective Cleaner and Mezzmo Kodi addon author.
Correct.

Generally "official" will either be produced by a service provider, or at least given their blessing and consent/approval. "Unofficial" won't be, although that's not to say that there's anything wrong or suspicious about it necessarily.

You will note a fair number of the video addons in the official repo are "unofficial", in that they are user-produced and whilst they make use of legitimate sources and do not offer stuff that shouldn't be available (either by bypassing account requirements or restrictions like geolocking), they are not endorsed or produced by the provider.

Just because something is "unofficial", it does not make it a banned addon (wiki).
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Understood, thanks for explaining this.

That being said :

- Does this mean that the "unofficial addon" should be elevated to official status in the Kodi repos ?
- Secondly, I don't think the addon is to blame for the crash, the logging doesn't seem to support this ... I have a hunch it's the thumbnail creation that's to blame (results in a crash for channel groups, that create a thumbnail of multiple channel icons).
- with the addon enabled, going into the Kodi pvr settings, I get a crash when going into channel groups there as well. (I was going to try to delete them, wife's on my case Blush )
- updated the hdhomerun record to the latest (mine was old, now running Version 20200907), crashes remain.
has anyone been able to or can reproduce this ? Huh
As this is a support issue I'm moving to the correct part of the forum. Perhaps someone can help in the HDHomeRun subforum.
(2020-12-04, 07:32)sebj Wrote: has anyone been able to or can reproduce this ? Huh

Hi sebj! Saw this thread, wanted to chime in on what I see with the unofficial addon set up.  I don't have any problems on Android or Windows going into or out of the channel groups with the recently released Matrix Beta 2 build.

Happy to help if I can, but so far not able to duplicate the concern.  Do you have any custom channel logos or anything like that set up? The HDHomeRun backend provides URLs to the logos that pvr.hdhomerun and zuki.pvr.hdhomerundvr pass onto Kodi, so if something is indeed going wrong with that part of the application I'd expect the same behavior from both.

I'd be curious to know if the behavior changes if you run without the advancedsettings.xml in place? Also, based on at least the one log you have posted it looks like you are getting Kodi to crash pretty quickly and possibly while the PVR subsystem is still starting up, do you see the crash even if Kodi has been up and running happily for a while and then you go into the channel groups?

I think we'll find that it's not necessarily the PVR addon(s) causing you grief in and of themselves but if we can reproduce the concern outside of your environment and/or try to narrow it down a bit that should help make it easier for Team Kodi.
thanks for the suggestion @djp952

Finally had some "free dad time" to have a look at this, I tried what your suggestion about bypassing advancedsettings and went a step further and renamed my current kodi beforehand as a backup.

Happy to report that this worked and tv now doesn't crash! Installed the addon, closed kodi, add advancedsettings back, and it worked. But it does also mean that I didn't have a smooth upgrade from the previous major version. Ended up having to basically delete everything in .kodi and start fresh.

Only issue with starting fresh is the artwork, will probably have to wait for all the artwork to download or update on the client side db, but that's another story.

We are huge fans and the kodi/zuki/hdhomerun combo is a winner in our household.

Been using Kodi/XBMC since the original xbox, but this stumped me and the whole family sends their thanks!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi 19 matrix, android nvidia shield hdhomerun pvr channel group crash0