Android Fire TV: Music Stops and Starts every couple of seconds in certain circumstances
Question 
My Fire TV Gen 2's HDMI output is connected to my Yamaha 5.1 AVR, and the video output of the AVR is connected to Number 1 of three HDMI inputs to my HDTV. My computer is connected to Number 2 HDMI input. Kodi plays music perfectly as long as my HDTV is set to HDMI 1, but when I'm working on my computer, I usually want to listen to music via Kodi. However, for some unknown reason, roughly half the time I try this, the music cuts in and out every couple of seconds. It doesn't sound like it's pausing temporarily, but rather cutting in and out.

I'm sure you can imagine how infuriating this is!

It doesn't matter what version of Kodi I'm running -- it happened with v16 and still happens with v18.9. That being the case, it doesn't seem to be Kodi's fault, but I don't know where else to start. If I could figure out what's different between when it works fine and cuts in & out, I could probably find a solution. I was hoping that if I used the Web interface from my computer, the problem wouldn't occur, but sadly it does anyway. I've disabled all hardware acceleration, but that doesn't fix it either.

Does anyone have any suggestions for what I could try next, please?

Thanks!
I'm not sure on this specific issue, but weird things can happen if you don't have your display on while using Kodi since Kodi is not designed to run without a display connected, which is what you're doing when you switch away from the input the FireTV is on. Perhaps others will say if this is working for them as it's not a use case I've ever had need for.

If the issue is that you are switching away from the input with the FireTV, then you'll most likely need an EDID emulator such as https://www.amazon.co.uk/LINDY-32115-HDM...B07FMT5RNS to fool the FireTV and hence Kodi into thinking the display is always connected.
(2020-11-27, 11:11)jjd-uk Wrote: I'm not sure on this specific issue, but weird things can happen if you don't have your display on while using Kodi since Kodi is not designed to run without a display connected, which is what you're doing when you switch away from the input the FireTV is on. Perhaps others will say if this is working for them as it's not a use case I've ever had need for.

If the issue is that you are switching away from the input with the FireTV, then you'll most likely need an EDID emulator such as https://www.amazon.co.uk/LINDY-32115-HDM...B07FMT5RNS to fool the FireTV and hence Kodi into thinking the display is always connected.
Wonderful! Thanks for your helpful tip! I'll give it a try.
Yamaha AV amp (RX-A1070) here, and I play a ton of music with no screen turned on.

My KODI lives on a PC attached direct to Yamaha via HDMI 1.  Usually control the amp using the web interface from a different PC.  KODI controlled through Web Interface on PC or Yatse on Android phone\tablet

KODI is set on "Allow Passthrough" as DirectSound.  All the settings ticked to give full details for the AV AMP abilities.  (Details will be dug out if required)

No special boxes here - just standard HDMI lead between Yamaha and the nVidia graphics card in the PC.

Screen attached to AMP with a different HDMI lead on Amp output.

PC -> Amp -> Screen

In KODI and Win10 when the Screen is off the output device is called "HDMI - RX-A1070 (NVIDIA High Definition Audio)" and when the screen is on it is "HDMI - Panasonici (NVIDIA High Definition Audio)".  KODI doesn't care and will just keep playing music even if I suddenly power up the screen mid-song.

I also access the computer from my main PC using work Remote Access Software hence why I can "see" the screen when no monitor powered up.

KODI is loverly and handles all this without troubles.

To add to the picture - my FLAC and MP3 files live on a separate server accessed via Windows SMB shares.

Zero stutters

Why do you have KODI PC attached to the screen instead of the Amp?  Or is KODI on the Amazon stick?  If so, where are the music files?
(2020-11-28, 06:34)kamby19 Wrote:
(2020-11-27, 11:11)jjd-uk Wrote: I'm not sure on this specific issue, but weird things can happen if you don't have your display on while using Kodi since Kodi is not designed to run without a display connected, which is what you're doing when you switch away from the input the FireTV is on. Perhaps others will say if this is working for them as it's not a use case I've ever had need for.

Wonderful! Thanks for your helpful tip! I'll give it a try.

Well, I bought an EDID emulator with many different settings. That's a pretty cool item!

Sadly none of those settings solved the problem. I was in the market for a new receiver anyway, so I bought a used Onkyo, and with it, the problem completely went away! But thanks for your reply and your help!
(2020-11-28, 21:16)BatterPudding Wrote: Yamaha AV amp (RX-A1070) here, and I play a ton of music with no screen turned on.

My KODI lives on a PC attached direct to Yamaha via HDMI 1.  Usually control the amp using the web interface from a different PC.  KODI controlled through Web Interface on PC or Yatse on Android phone\tablet

KODI is set on "Allow Passthrough" as DirectSound.  All the settings ticked to give full details for the AV AMP abilities.  (Details will be dug out if required)

No special boxes here - just standard HDMI lead between Yamaha and the nVidia graphics card in the PC.

Screen attached to AMP with a different HDMI lead on Amp output.

PC -> Amp -> Screen

In KODI and Win10 when the Screen is off the output device is called "HDMI - RX-A1070 (NVIDIA High Definition Audio)" and when the screen is on it is "HDMI - Panasonici (NVIDIA High Definition Audio)".  KODI doesn't care and will just keep playing music even if I suddenly power up the screen mid-song.

I also access the computer from my main PC using work Remote Access Software hence why I can "see" the screen when no monitor powered up.

KODI is loverly and handles all this without troubles.

To add to the picture - my FLAC and MP3 files live on a separate server accessed via Windows SMB shares.

Zero stutters

Why do you have KODI PC attached to the screen instead of the Amp?  Or is KODI on the Amazon stick?  If so, where are the music files?

Hi, BatterPudding!

I rarely use Kodi for Windows, but the last time I tried (months ago), the problem didn't occur. But overwhelmingly I use Kodi on my two Fire TV Gen 2 boxes. My Primary connection chain is Fire TV/Kodi -> Receiver -> HDTV Port 1 (via an nVidia  card). There are two more HDMI connections to the HDTV which I use, one of which (Port 2) is output from my computer (via an built-in Intel card), which I use extensively,  and the other from my laptop (which I rarely use).

The problem in my OP only occurs when I switch the HDTV from Port 1 to Port 2 while Kodi is playing on Port 1.

I, too, usually use passthrough, but whether enabled or not, the same problem occurred. To answer your final questions, I do not use Kodi on my PC. And I'm not using an Amazon stick; instead I'm using Fire TV Gen 2 box. All my media is shared via NFS, which for me works vastly better than SMB.

But that's all moot now, since with the replacement receiver the problem doesn't exist.  But thanks for your reply!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Fire TV: Music Stops and Starts every couple of seconds in certain circumstances0