Beta HDR switching only after fullscreen toggle
I made a clean install of Matrix beta and AMD Adrenalin.
The issue I have is that if I play a HDR video Kodi won't show it in HDR unless I toggle from fullscreen to window (then you see that Windows has already enabled HDR mode, because everythung is bright) and back to fullscreen.

In comparison, I still have the old Fandango version in use, which works just fine.

logfile
Try to use recommended settings in the first post https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=349861

Your log says that is not using real full screen (full screen exclusive)
Switching to full screen exclusive did the trick.

If I use RGB 4:4:4 though, which I know is the correct mode, the overall picture on my OLED TV is way too black.
How do I best correct that and doesn't it contradict the HDR philosophy. I assume you can always have incorrect settings in the chain. But with everything on default shouldn't the picture be fine.
I could use the Adrenaline 'User defined Colors' to adjust brightness, and would have to set it to 25. Is that the best way to fix it?
I'm not familiar with the Ryzen driver but as a comparison on Intel and NVIDIA it works fine with the default driver settings (clean install).

Knowing how the decoding and rendering process works is helpful to help troubleshoot:

Video source ----> DXVA2 (HEVC decoder) ----> DXVA (render) ----> Display

The good news is that both DXVA2 and DXVA can be substituted for alternatives in order to identify problems:

DXVA2: can be disabled from GUI Settings / Player and ffmpeg SW decoding will be used instead.

DXVA: you can choose Pixel Shaders render method from Settings / Player.

Image quality should be the same in all cases but performance is much worse by disabling DXVA2. So if a problem disappears when disabling DXVA2 (e.g. image quality changes / improves) it can give us a clue as to where the problem is.

DXVA2 depends entirely on the video card's driver as well as the image quality obtained. The driver control panel even has adjustments to control the contrast, brightness and various filters (sharpen, noise filter...). I always recommend disabling everything because DXVA2 should not alter the image parameters (only decode HEVC).... but some drivers have some "enhancements" enabled by default and this can cause problems some times....

The settings related to DXVA2 are in the "Video" section of graphics driver.

In short, if the problems (dark/light image) come from DXVA2, they will go away when it's disabled. Then it only remains to make the pertinent adjustments in the video driver control panel so that the image has the same quality as with ffmpeg SW decoding.

DXVA is not likely to cause problems but you can compare it with Pixel Shaders for differences.
I meant the overall picture, Windows, not Kodi is too dark after I set the diver to RGB 4:4:4.
So it is more a Windows/AMD Vega issue I think.
TV is in HDR mode so there is hardly any option to change any settings regarding brightness /contrast.
Obviously for Kodi to work well you first need Windows and the TV to work well...

It may be that the TV does not support RGB... or that you need to change the HDMI inputs limited/full range setting... I have tried to help you but with the information you give I can't know what happens here...
This is a Philips Oled TV from 2019. I think there should be no question about that.
Which information do you need?
I am not sure there is anything wrong here. It is just my impression that the picture is to dark. From what I hear this is quite commom with Oled TVs. As they have real backs and much better contrast than LCDs. It seems fairly logical that you can't expect to have the same impression from an Oled TV vs an LCD TV.

Maybe I need to do some calibration. Any advice how to do that best without buying hardware?
(2020-12-07, 11:45)_novalis Wrote: This is a Philips Oled TV from 2019. I think there should be no question about that.
Which information do you need?
I am not sure there is anything wrong here. It is just my impression that the picture is to dark. From what I hear this is quite commom with Oled TVs. As they have real backs and much better contrast than LCDs. It seems fairly logical that you can't expect to have the same impression from an Oled TV vs an LCD TV.

Maybe I need to do some calibration. Any advice how to do that best without buying hardware?
I use these settings in my Philips OLED803 in case it helps...

https://www.avpasion.com/mejores-setting...3-oled903/
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, please click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :)
not really because it is not the TV that needs adjustment.
It is Windows.
Otherwise you'd have to adjust your TV all the time depending on your source. It has to be the other way round.
Of course your TV needs an initial adjustment. But then it should be fine and the rest is making the source to fit this settings.
Thanks anyway.
As a user with basically the same setup as you (windows 10, amd vega m and philips 804 2019 model tv) I can honestly say it is not windows nor kodi or the combination. The tv actually requires some adjustments to get proper blacks going in both hdr and sdr. Both have separate settings and need separate configuration to get proper blacks. It's trial and error to what works best for you. I had the same issue and it took me quite some time to get everything right. The tv does adjust continuously to the source it gets fed, so I suggest using different sources (hdr, sdr, dolby vision) to set every source up to your liking.
Kodi Matrix 19.0 HDR Windows API
Sounds like I had the same issue (Kodi going darker when playing TV or film in full screen). Solution for me was while playing on KODI a TV show or movie in fullscreen,  set the Samsung TV setting "Picture Mode" = "Standard" (I got the brightness I was expecting - no more darkening). By having it set to "movies" the TV applies a darkening effect. 

My understanding is in full screen mode, the tv no longer sees the Kodi source as a PC so it applies its Picture Mode effect. Note in Samsung TV Picture Mode has 5 options (Standard, Dynamic, Movies...) when playing Kodi TV or movie full screen but only 2 options (Entertain and Graphic) in PC mode (ie playing Kodi when windowed).

Possibly the OP is confusing darkening and brightening to HDR on off which for me is not the case as it was the TV applying the picture mode effects.

The reason OP may find it works fine in an old version of Kodi could be because if you have Settings/Player/"Adjust display refresh rate" set to Off then I didn't see any problem full screen or not, but in Matrix I set it to on and I had the issue.

I am using:
Matrix 19.4
Windows 10 with HDR disabled
Sony QN85A TV
i bet the OP (wherever they may be) will be very happy youve solved this 2 years and 2 months later
Other may come to this thread having the same issue and hoping that someone found a solution. I worded my reply towards those people. I am happy to be the kind of person to provide a solution, instead one that offers sarcasm
(2023-02-01, 09:47)fredwho Wrote: I am happy to be the kind of person to provide a solution, instead one that offers sarcasm
As long as the solution has some kind of valid basis, such solutions are welcome.

(2023-02-01, 05:58)fredwho Wrote: The reason OP may find it works fine in an old version of Kodi could be because if you have Settings/Player/"Adjust display refresh rate" set to Off then I didn't see any problem full screen or not, but in Matrix I set it to on and I had the issue.
I'm always willing to learn. How does the "Adjust display refresh rate" setting affect the HDR or darkness/brightness outcome?
Hej guys,
nice you still talk about this.
Unfortunately your analysis doesn't seem to get the point.
I am on Nexus now (not a new install but on top of Matrix) and I still have this problem. Not as often as before but still every now and then.
It is clearly a handshake problem between Kodi and Windows and has nothing to do with the TV (at least not in the first place), as I stated before. TV settings are always OK.
Stoping the video and start again, or toggle fullscreen mostly solves the problem.
So I'm not confusing anything. I am quite capable of seeing when a HDR movie is played in non HDR mode. This picture is quite unique, colors are off in a distinctive way. Mostly brightness is way over the top, resulting in pure white, and so forth.
Also, in my case, "Adjust display refresh rate" has nothing to do with it.
So since that seems to be not a common problem but rather a system specific thing I probably have to live with it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HDR switching only after fullscreen toggle0