commas in MUSICIANCREDITS
Is it possible to override the delimiter for the INVOLVEDPEOPLE and MUSICIANCREDITS lists? Values like "guitar:John Smith, Jr.;" are read as two people, and I end up with separate entries in the All Roles list for "John Smith" and for "Jr.".

I've checked my <artistseparators> (and <itemseparator>) in advancedsettings.xml, and comma isn't in the list.

Thanks!
(2020-11-30, 01:18)howell4c Wrote: Is it possible to override the delimiter for the INVOLVEDPEOPLE and MUSICIANCREDITS lists? Values like "guitar:John Smith, Jr.;" are read as two people, and I end up with separate entries in the All Roles list for "John Smith" and for "Jr.".

Are those tags you pulled from Musicbrainz? Never seen them before, I think [performer] is a better choice.
If I'm reading https://picard-docs.musicbrainz.org/en/a...pping.html correctly, they're the same thing: "performer" is Picard's internal name, but it saves the values to the ID3v2.4 frame TMCL, which mp3tag and exiftool display as MUSICIANCREDITS. And "arranger" (etc.) are saved to TIPL, which displays as INVOLVEDPEOPLE.
(2020-11-30, 01:18)howell4c Wrote: Is it possible to override the delimiter for the INVOLVEDPEOPLE and MUSICIANCREDITS lists? Values like "guitar:John Smith, Jr.;" are read as two people, and I end up with separate entries in the All Roles list for "John Smith" and for "Jr.".
Unfortunately no, the processing of TMCL and TIPL tags values is hardcoded.  If you check the spec for ID3 v2.4 format https://id3.org/id3v2.4.0-frames it says:

"Every odd field is an instrument and every even is an artist or a comma delimited list of artists."

Use of comma as a delimiter is part of the spec. so Kodi is correctly taking it as such,  but of course it makes a terrible separator because it is punctuation that can appear in artist names. I guess the peole that defined the format didn't think anyone would do things with it like try to identify the individual artists.

The situation is even more confused by the fact that different taging software give the tags different display names, and show the values of multi-frame fields in different ways. So discussion between users can get confused as can what values have been entered and where.

Not sure I can think of a good workaround other than tagging with "John Smith" not "John Smith, jr"
Thanks, that makes sense.  

For now I've taken your suggestion and removed the Jr. where I didn't have entries for the father as well, and replaced ", Jr." with ". Jr." in cases where I do.  I'll never notice the period instead of a comma when looking at a list 10' away, and it's better than saying Hank Williams when I mean Hank Jr.  Or having an entry for "Jr." that lumps Hank Jr. and Nikolai Kedrov, Jr. together!

If I ever figure out how to make artist.nfo files work, I may play around with overwriting that extra period back to a comma from there.  In theory, I should be able to create a folder under my Artist Information Folder for "John Smith. Jr.", and then create an artist.nfo file in there with "<artist><name>John Smith, Jr.</name></artist>".  Shouldn't I?  My first stab didn't work, but I've never used .nfo files before so probably missed a setting somewhere.

Thanks for your help!
A work around might be to use APE tags on these mp3 files, and set APE priority in advancedsettings, then add
PERFORMER tags formatted John Smith, Jr (guitar).  I think you can just use PERFORMER and Kodi would ignore TMCL and TIPL but I would need to experiment unless Dave knows off the top of his head.  Looking at the code it looks like TMCL and TIPL both call an AddArtistRole method while PERFORMER calls AddArtistInstrument so I suspect you need to delete TMCL and TIPL tags if you want to use just the APE PERFORMER, otherwise you get the union of the parsed artists, roles and instruments (stored as roles in Kodi db).  Note also PERFORMER allows one-to-many artist to instrument mapping, using delimited list in (a,b) with delimiters ";", "/", ",", "&", " and ".

scott s.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
commas in MUSICIANCREDITS0