Export to live folders
Hi.

My problem is that i cant export to live folders as i did before. "Separate" and "library" are both using thirdpart folder.

Ive read all that is to know about the options, but i cant figure out how to export into live folders. That way i feel i have more control as i am updating alot for the moment 🙄

Thanks for feedback
Regards
Boiker
(2020-12-07, 15:34)Boiker Wrote: My problem is that i cant export to live folders as i did before.

Just to be clear: what are "live" folders?
(2020-12-07, 16:21)Klojum Wrote:
(2020-12-07, 15:34)Boiker Wrote: My problem is that i cant export to live folders as i did before.

Just to be clear: what are "live" folders?

Live folders is the folders with all the music, aka - the main files.

Mine is sorted like this:

Example 1 : Music/A/Alice Russel/album/pot of gold/

Example 2 : Music/B/Björk/album/post/

Example 3 : Music/B/Bob Dylan/Bootlegs/the Bootlegs serie vol 1/

So under each artist/ i have, album, live, Bootlegs, special etc..
From v18 onwards the music library export faciity is extremely flexible. Functionality is described https://kodi.wiki/view/Import-export_library/Music
(2020-12-07, 18:01)DaveBlake Wrote: From v18 onwards the music library export faciity is extremely flexible. Functionality is described https://kodi.wiki/view/Import-export_library/Music

I have read this many times, but i dont find any solution to my problem.

If i am to use the library export option, i must delete all privious files (nfo, JPG, PNG etc) in the "live folders" (exported by earlier XBMC) so they dont get scraped as old info... And from now on - only use a dedicated folder for read/write ?

But what about discart? They only work inside live folders... Thats a huge manually work!

I cant understand why the option for "export into live folders" is deleted! Or am i (hopefully) missing something?

🤔🙏🤷
There never was an "export into live folders" option, I also do not understand why you think you have to delete previous files. It gives control over what to export, where to export it it and overwrite/skip.
(2020-12-07, 19:06)DaveBlake Wrote: There never was an "export into live folders" option, I also do not understand why you think you have to delete previous files. It gives control over what to export, where to export it it and overwrite/skip.

In preiviously version of Kodi, *XBMC, i did only have one "export" option. When you exported -it saved all files into live folders.

*What to export 👍 yes, thats nice.

*Where to export - yes, but not to live folders. And i have to re-arrange all folders to make this option save files into the right folder structure. (I cant have it as it is now :

music/A/artist/album/
Or
Music/A/artist/Bootlegs/)

-to use kodi now, and as you suggest, i have to have all albums into directly artist folder.:
Music/artist/album
So i cant have Bootlegs, album or live-folders etc.

This makes it impossible to have different thumbs and posters to each subgroup of an artist. I dont want all albums of an artist into one.

Example. I have the discography of Bob Dylan. But i also have his live albums. And i have official Bootlegs albums. But not only that, i also have 56 albums of unofficial Bootlegs from all over the world.

So if all this goes into one bundle, that is just not practical, not visually nice and not what i want.

So back to my original question, is there no way to export ny library into live folders, just like kodi (XBMC) did when i started setting up mye library some years ago?

You can Imagine the time it will take to organize 683 artists and 3128 albums to fit the new export standard (i really really really hope its a good solution to this)

And thank you for all answers 🙏👌 🙂
OK, let me try to explain. Music export in older versions had major flaws: it could only export artist nfo and art for album artists  (not song artists that only appear as guest artists or on compilations) and assumed that the folder above the album folder was the artist folder, so could not handle collaboration albums (those with more than one album artist) or any other music file arrangement.

Whenever things diverged from the most simple folder arrangement export got it wrong, and moreover so did attempts scraping local artist art.
Quote:-to use kodi now, and as you suggest, i have to have all albums into directly artist folder
No, in fact the opposite. Kodi can now handle albums for an artist being in different subfolders that are not all number one unqiue artist folder.

The best local art and artist nfo solution to cover all artists and music file arrangements was to base it on there being a nominated folder for artist information - the Artist Information Folder - and every artist could and a subfolder in that just for artist art and NFO file.

So export was designed to work with that too. Export kind = "To Library Folders" demands that an AIF is set, and then sends artist art and nfo to subfolders in the AIF, but album artwork and nfo files go to the album folder containing the music files for that album

From what you have said what I think you want to do is
a) Set the Artist Information Folder in settings to some new empty folder away from your music files
b) Export with kind = "To Library Folders" , 
                       Items to Export = "Albums"
NFO files, Include art and overwrite settings as is your choice.

That will put the album.nfo and artwork including discart in the folders with the music files (what you call the "live folders") just like it did in previous versions.

If you also want to export artist.nfo and art as well then then set Items to Export = "Albums, AlbumArtists", but the artist stuff will go into the AIF into 683 separate artist folders each named with the artist name.

What it can't do is export artist stuff to folders
Music/A/A_artistname1/
Music/A/A_artistname2/
Music/B/B_artistname1/
Music/B/B_artistname2/

even if you are only interested in album artists and have manged to keep all the music by an artist in subfolders in a unique folder.

On the other hand, if your structure was

Music/A_artistname1/
Music/A_artistname2/
Music/B_artistname1/
Music/B_artistname2/
and folder name matched artist name you could take a slightly different approach.

But I would encourage use of a Artist Information Folder separate from your album folders and music files because it allows so much more flexibility.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Export to live folders0