Solved Kodi Listing Album Twice (because of inconsistent tagging)
So today I ripped a few albums. But one of them, a compilation album is showing up twice!!!!!

On on of the copies of the album it shows all the tracks apart from a few. The other copy listed has the missing tracks!

I have double and triple checked the tags, the tags are 100% correct. I thought I has spelled the album name wrong or something, but nope. All correct.

so I had a look at the Kodi music library sql database and I have found it has indeed added as two albums and I also noticed that all the tracks that are missing from the main album have the following columns different from the rest:
strMusicBrainzAlbumID
strArtistSort
bCompilation

strMusicBrainzAlbumID has an ID number in it where everything else in my library is set to NULL
strArtistSort has the artist entered where everything else in my library is set to NULL
bCompilation has a value of 0 where the rest of the tracks in the album have a value of 1

So where the bloody hell did the strMusicBrainzAlbumID and strArtistSort values come from?!?!?!?! I didn't enter them anywhere!!

I ripped the CD using Sound Juicer 3.24.0 in Ubuntu 20.04. I then filled out all the tags manually using EasyTag 2.4.3. Like I have done for over 920 other albums and have had no issue before!!!!

My music is stored in a read-only SMB share. Kodi does not have the ability to write to the files at all! I also have kodi set to use 'Local Information Only' and not pick up info from the files from online.

So the only way this info could have got here must be from Sound Juicer when I ripped the files.

Is there a way to use the shell to show what tags are in a flac file? and remove these silyl MusicBrainz ones? I don't even know what MusicBrainz is but it has messed up the way kodi lists the album.

Can anyone help please? this is very frustrating and I have already spent 4 hours on it. I have re-ripped the CD 4 times and it is always the same tracks with the issue.
(2020-12-09, 00:45)p-groves Wrote: I ripped the CD using Sound Juicer 3.24.0 in Ubuntu 20.04. I then filled out all the tags manually using EasyTag 2.4.3. Like I have done for over 920 other albums and have had no issue before!!!!
Yes understand you have a "system" but claiming that "you have had no issue before" does not confirm your "system" is 100% accurate 100% of the time. Smile

Can I urge you to use MusicBrainz Picard to tag your files... https://picard.musicbrainz.org/ It will resolve your issues. It is not a ripper, it is a tagger.

So grab your ripped album and drop it into the top middle box as shown in this image... https://kodi.wiki/view/Music_tagging#MusicBrainz Then let musicbrainz do its thing.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2020-12-09, 00:45)p-groves Wrote: So today I ripped a few albums. But one of them, a compilation album is showing up twice!!!!!

On on of the copies of the album it shows all the tracks apart from a few. The other copy listed has the missing tracks!

I have double and triple checked the tags, the tags are 100% correct. I thought I has spelled the album name wrong or something, but nope. All correct.

so I had a look at the Kodi music library sql database and I have found it has indeed added as two albums and I also noticed that all the tracks that are missing from the main album have the following columns different from the rest:
strMusicBrainzAlbumID
strArtistSort
bCompilation

strMusicBrainzAlbumID has an ID number in it where everything else in my library is set to NULL
strArtistSort has the artist entered where everything else in my library is set to NULL
bCompilation has a value of 0 where the rest of the tracks in the album have a value of 1

So where the bloody hell did the strMusicBrainzAlbumID and strArtistSort values come from?!?!?!?! I didn't enter them anywhere!!

I ripped the CD using Sound Juicer 3.24.0 in Ubuntu 20.04. I then filled out all the tags manually using EasyTag 2.4.3. Like I have done for over 920 other albums and have had no issue before!!!!

My music is stored in a read-only SMB share. Kodi does not have the ability to write to the files at all! I also have kodi set to use 'Local Information Only' and not pick up info from the files from online.

So the only way this info could have got here must be from Sound Juicer when I ripped the files.

Is there a way to use the shell to show what tags are in a flac file? and remove these silyl MusicBrainz ones? I don't even know what MusicBrainz is but it has messed up the way kodi lists the album.

Can anyone help please? this is very frustrating and I have already spent 4 hours on it. I have re-ripped the CD 4 times and it is always the same tracks with the issue.
OK typically 5 minutes after posting I found a solution. I found this article: https://opensource.com/article/19/11/met...music-tags

I used metaflac to check one of the problematic files and yes indeed there were extra tags!

metaflac --export-tags-to=tags.tmp "0102 Breaking the Law.flac"
cat tags.tmp
TITLE=Breaking the Law
ARTIST=Judas Priest
ALBUMARTIST=Various Artists
ALBUM=Rock Gödz
DISCNUMBER=01
DISCTOTAL=02
DATE=2005
TRACKNUMBER=02
TRACKTOTAL=20
GENRE=Rock
MUSICBRAINZ_ARTISTID=6b335658-22c8-485d-93de-0bc29a1d0349
MUSICBRAINZ_DISCID=7s1f5Je0PTFaai7rD4IcY1saP0E-
MUSICBRAINZ_TRACKID=da6969f9-de8e-43a9-8c72-d980efed1650
ALBUMARTISTSORT=Various Artists
DISCID=1f12a614
MUSICBRAINZ_ALBUMID=b65e3a0a-2e74-467f-8dde-03b3b403201e
MUSICBRAINZ_ALBUMARTISTID=89ad4ac3-39f7-470e-963a-56509c546377
ARTISTSORT=Judas Priest

so to remove these tags I ran the following commands in the album directory:

for f in *.flac; do metaflac --remove-tag MUSICBRAINZ_ALBUMARTISTID "$f"; done
for f in *.flac; do metaflac --remove-tag MUSICBRAINZ_ALBUMID "$f"; done
for f in *.flac; do metaflac --remove-tag MUSICBRAINZ_ARTISTID "$f"; done
for f in *.flac; do metaflac --remove-tag MUSICBRAINZ_DISCID "$f"; done
for f in *.flac; do metaflac --remove-tag MUSICBRAINZ_TRACKID "$f"; done
for f in *.flac; do metaflac --remove-tag DISCID "$f"; done
for f in *.flac; do metaflac --remove-tag ALBUMARTISTSORT "$f"; done
for f in *.flac; do metaflac --remove-tag ARTISTSORT "$f"; done

This stripped the tags and I then moved the files to my SMB share, re-scanned the library in kodi and BAM! all fixed.

metaflac --export-tags-to=tags.tmp "0102 Breaking the Law.flac"
cat tags.tmp
TITLE=Breaking the Law
ARTIST=Judas Priest
ALBUMARTIST=Various Artists
ALBUM=Rock Gödz
DISCNUMBER=01
DISCTOTAL=02
DATE=2005
TRACKNUMBER=02
TRACKTOTAL=20
GENRE=Rock

So Sound juicer must have added these additional tags. I cannot see an option to turn this off in sound juicer so I will probably try K3B for ripping from now on.

What a pain!
Thread marked solved.
As long as you understand that providing the MusicBrainz IDs in your tags helps the Kodi scrapers find the correct artist and album data online.  Even if you don't use scraper function they are useful when there are multiple artists or albums with the same name string.

scott s.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi Listing Album Twice (because of inconsistent tagging)0