Kodi shuts down after 1 minute when used as Background Music Player
Yeah mate, that's it. We did this all to prank you.
Hello,
Long time user of Kodi, and first post on here. I also use an Xbox One from time to time, and have experienced the same problem as the topic starter, but across multiple apps, including Kodi. From what I am reading, Microsoft only allows up to 128MB of RAM for background apps. If an app goes over, than the app may be shut down by the console. I know 1 app I use has this issue, but I have tested other apps including Kodi where the background app usage notification doesn't pop up, and the app just suddenly stops working. From what I am reading, I think that this is more than likely a problem with the console itself, and not the app itself, in this case Kodi.
(2020-12-12, 20:10)Top Dollar Wrote: Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi. If the question is still relevant:

Try to go to the Settings -> System -> Audio and set Keep audio device alive to Always (default value is 1 Minute). It fixed the same issue on my Series X.

Hope it helps.
(2021-02-20, 22:07)Fuzzard Wrote: Yeah mate, that's it. We did this all to prank you.

Because that's what I said, wasn't it. I said you did this to prank me personally. smh
(2021-08-23, 21:28)dnskbzv Wrote:
(2020-12-12, 20:10)Top Dollar Wrote: Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi. If the question is still relevant:

Try to go to the Settings -> System -> Audio and set Keep audio device alive to Always (default value is 1 Minute). It fixed the same issue on my Series X.

Hope it helps.

Your solution probably would have worked on the previous version of Kodi (unfortunately I've only just seen your post so wasn't able to test it), but the current version of Kodi, Build 19.3, has completely removed background music altogether. Now it doesn't even last 1 minute, the audio stops the instant I minimize the Kodi app and move to something else (like a game or the Xbox dashboard).

Here I was, stupidly hoping the latest Kodi build would fix this issue when it actually made it worse. It's like the Kodi developers don't want their app to be popular on Xbox.
The removal of the backgroundmediaplayback capability was actually a requirement from Microsoft for the submission to the app store.
We were told we can't have that and the hevcplayback capability at the same time.
(2021-11-06, 21:56)Fuzzard Wrote: The removal of the backgroundmediaplayback capability was actually a requirement from Microsoft for the submission to the app store.
We were told we can't have that and the hevcplayback capability at the same time.

I'm guessing those are mutually exclusive since the background playback requires memory limitation, and hevcplayback raises the memory limit.
Yeah, apparently the hevcplayback capability uses extra memory, so if you launch a game/switch out it's more likely to be closed down.
There are 2 things to point out.
1. Xbox limit the app memory usage in the background to 128MB. If the app use more than 128mb after minimize to the background, the app will get shut down instantly.
You may check out more details here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows...allocation
2. There is apparently a bug with the MEMORY LIMIATION thing. The app have to use way less memory than 128mb. 
From my testing experience, the app has to use 0-50mb in order to make the background music actually work. Even the app running at 50mb<app<128mb, Xbox will still kill the background music(app) after couple minutes of running. 
The blank uwp app use about 20mb of memory. So it's quite challenging to make the app below 50mb. 
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows...mory-usage
Like Spotify. It basically clear all the UI and instance after entering background. It's kind of challenging even you specifically modify the app to limit the usage.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi shuts down after 1 minute when used as Background Music Player0