• 6(current)
[WINDOWS] HOW-TO get XBMC for Windows to work with remote control via IR Server Suite
@mitul103
Great info Smile

I have my PC connected to a monitor (1st display) and a 720p LCD (2nd display).
Is there anyway to force XBMC to run on the TV by default (using the remote only)?

At the moment i'm using Ultramon to force XBMC to run on the 2nd display, but this requires me to go to the PC room every time i want to start XBMC and start it via a shortcut. I've also tried clone mode and that didn't worked Sad

• Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH ~ Crucial DDR3L SO-DIMM 4GB ~ SanDisk ReadyCache 32GB SSD ~ Microsoft MCE model 1039 RC6 remote
Using IR Suite, got my remote to work nicely with xbmc.

Only one question- I tried all the buttons and none of them switch between fullscreen and menu. Is there a way to define this function? (does it have be done in the XML file?) Along with (I hope) a function to shut down the PC.

cheers
You can set xbmc to shutdown the pc when exiting.

• Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH ~ Crucial DDR3L SO-DIMM 4GB ~ SanDisk ReadyCache 32GB SSD ~ Microsoft MCE model 1039 RC6 remote
GergDees Wrote:Hey TechLife, thanks for the Info. Your remote configuration works great. I wanted a little more functionality from the Start button than just opening XBMC because of an issue I had with standby so I elaborated on your design. I figured others may want the same from their Start button so I thought I would share.

When I resume from standby on my HTPC the XBMC window resumes minimized. The first time this happened I pressed the Start button again which just opened a second instance of XBMC. My HTPC is not powerful enough to run two instances of XBMC so I decided to find a fix. I wrote a simple script that is called by Translator when the Start button is pressed instead of the xbmc executable. The script allows the Start button to have three functions within XBMC instead of just one.

Here are the three things the Start button can do now.
  • Start XBMC from scratch
  • If XBMC is running but minimized, it will activate the window
  • If XBMC is running and maximized, the Start button will act as a "Home" button bringing the user back to the home screen

The script was created with AutoIt so it is very easy to modify. I compiled the script into an exe file for portability but unfortunately the script won't maximize a minimized XBMC window without first having the AutoIt script software installed. Below is the script:

If ProcessExists("xbmc.exe") Then
If WinActive("[TITLE:XBMC]") Then
Send("{HOME}")
Else
WinActivate("[TITLE:XBMC]")
EndIf
Else
ShellExecute("C:\Program Files\XBMC\XBMC.exe", "-fs -p", "C:\Program Files\XBMC", "open")
EndIf

The script first checks to see if the process xbmc.exe exists. If it does exist, it then checks to see if the XBMC titled window is active. If it is not active it will activate it. If it is active, it will send the "Home" key. If xbmc.exe is not running, the script will run it similar to how Translator runs it when you press the button. To get the home screen functionality to work, I had to edit the keymap.xml file and change the value XBMC.ActivateWindow(Home) under the keyboard heading from browser_home to home. (The button Browser_Home minimized XBMC and opened my default browser to its home page)

If you would like the same Start button functionality on your XBMC PC, follow these steps.

1. Install and compile the script to an exe file.

- Install the AutoIt V3 software available from here.

- Copy the script text from above into notepad and save it as startbutton.au3 or something similar.

- Right click the startbutton.au3 file and select "Compile Script". After it finishes a file named startbutton.exe should appear in the same directory as the script.

- Copy startbutton.exe to the C:\Program Files\XBMC directory or somewhere convenient.

2. Configure Translator

- Open translator, select the command that was entered earlier and click "Delete".

- Click "New", press the Start button on the remote, click the browse button next to the Application box, browse to the directory where the startbutton.exe file was saved and select it.

- Leave the defaults and select "Set" to create the code.

- Click "Ok" to close the new command dialog box and "OK" again to close Translator.

3. Edit the keymap.xml file

- Browse to C:\Program Files\XBMC\system, right click the keymap.xml file and select "edit". Change the line under "Keyboard" from <browser_home>XBMC.ActivateWindow(Home)</browser_home> to read like this: <home>XBMC.ActivateWindow(Home)</home> and save the file.

4. Test the remote to see if it behaves as expected.

- The Start button should now open XBMC, maximized a minimized XBMC window, and go back to the home screen.

awesome post! everything is now working PERFECTLY. thanks a bunch!

one small thing, in the script, it is hardcoded path as program files/xbmc, however on my vista 64, the path for xbmc is program files (x86)/xbmc, so it needs to be verified the correct path before editing. thats all though!
I have a question that's been driving me CRAZYY....Why won't IR Server learn my volume or mute buttons? IR Server learns every other button on my MCE remote. I'm using the 360 media remote. The volume buttons used to work to control my pc volume, but after getting rid of the windows drivers manually, they stopped working altogether. Also as a note...the volume buttons on this remote can control TV volume AND PC volume..unfortunately i'm going through this trouble just to control my receiver(via IR blaster)
K...After hours I've figured out my problem...for anybody who's using the XBox 360 media remote--your keyboard drivers/software can be interfering with volume on your remote. In my case I needed the keyboard drivers to get them working...
mutil media keyboaed key can use vol + and - right...
davidw89 Wrote:Woot got it working!!!

How do i map a key on the MCE to shut down the computer? The off button on PC only puts the computer on standby or boot?

How did you get your play/pause/ff/rewind buttons working? :/
Thought I'd share my settings. My system now does the following:

If XBMC is the active window:
  1. "MY VIDEOS" button opens Movies
  2. "MY TV" button opens TV Shows
  3. "MY MUSIC" button opens Music
  4. "MY PICTURES" opens Pictures
  5. "POWER" opens XBMC Shutdown menu
  6. "GREEN BUTTON" goes to Home

If XBMC is open, but not the active window, the above buttons activate the XBMC window and then do the same as I mentioned before.

If XBMC not open, the buttons launch XBMC, wait up to 10 seconds for it to load, then they do the same as above again, EXCEPT FOR:
  • "POWER" -- HIBERNATES the PC (shutdown /h)

To do the same as this, all you need is AutoIt 3, then make the following changes...

Open XBMC/system/Keymap.xml. Find the first section named <keyboard> (within <global>...</global>). In there, just add these to the end (right before </keyboard>):
Code:
<home>XBMC.ActivateWindow(Home)</home>
      <v>XBMC.ActivateWindow(videolibrary,movietitles)</v>
      <m>XBMC.ActivateWindow(MyMusic)</m>
      <n>XBMC.ActivateWindow(MyPictures)</n>
      <b>XBMC.ActivateWindow(videolibrary,tvshowtitles)</b>
Now, the keyboard buttons home, v, m, n, b all perform the above actions.

Create the following files in your XBMC directory: PressV.au3, PressM.au3, PressN.au3, PressB.au3. Set them all to have this content, but change the info in bold:
Code:
        [b]Send("B")[/b]
    Else
        If WinWaitActive("[TITLE:XBMC]", "", 10) Then
            Sleep(2000)
            [b]Send("B")[/b]
        EndIf
    EndIf
Else
    ShellExecute("[b]G:\Program Files\XBMC\XBMC.exe[/b]", "-fs -p", "[b]G:\Program Files\XBMC[/b]", "open")
        Sleep(2000)
        [b]Send("B")[/b]
    EndIf
EndIf
Send("B") should be the button you are pressing (V, B, M, N). The two bolded paths should point to your XBMC install (note that mine is G:\, the average user installs to C:\).

Next, create "Green Button.au3", set its content to:
Code:
        Send("{HOME}")
    Else
    EndIf
Else
    ShellExecute("[b]G:\Program Files\XBMC\XBMC.exe[/b]", "-fs -p", "[b]G:\Program Files\XBMC[/b]", "open")
EndIf
Again, change the path.

Finally, create Shutdown.au3:
Code:
        Send("S")
    Else
            Sleep(2000)
            Send("S")
        EndIf
    EndIf
Else
    [b]ShellExecute("C:\Windows\System32\shutdown.exe", "/h", "C:\Windows\System32", "open")[/b]
EndIf
Note the bolded line. That calls shutdown.exe in Windows/System32/ with the argument /h, meaning hibernate. Change it as you wish (-s is shutdown, no arguments is sleep, I believe). Heck, remove that line and the Else above it, and it will remove the shutdown all together and will only function while in XBMC.

Select and right click all of these files, pick Compile Script. They should all have .exe counterparts in the dir now.

Now, the IR Server stuff. Open Translator, apply run commands to button mappings to the new .exe files (as described on page 5). Voila, that's all. Thanks to GergDees for the original AutoIt idea for this!
Nice work...i havnt tried it yet but ill give it a go and see !!
This solution worked well for me. I need to learn how to make some refinements. I'm using a Harmony 880 remote programed as a MCE remote. I'm going to try to setup a macro "Watch Movies" which should turn on the TV, Stereo Receiver, and opens XBMC. The computer will always be on since I'm also using it as a server. When I hit the off button I'd like the remote to shut down XBMC. In another macro called "Watch DVD" I want the remote to Start Cyberlink Powerdvd full screen. The remote has some function in Cbyerlink Powerdvd, but I'll have to fine its control. Likewise when I push the off button I'd like the remote to shutdown the Cyberlink Powerdvd.

If Cyberlink Powerdevd can be set as a plugin for XBMC perhaps I don't need a macro to open each program.

Has anyone already done something similar? I'd appreciate any advice. I'm a total newb when it comes to the programing for Ir Suite. I've been reading this post for about a day and a half and I think I finally understand about 1/2 of what I've read.
its not work on atlantis beta 2 and MCE remote what i have to do??thnx
Thumbs Up 
Cam73 Wrote:AS for people having trouble...are you using the same remote as me?

I know there are heaps of different remotes. Ultimately XBMC will work with all/most remotes but for now I can only say that this worked with the MS remote.

This has worked for a few other people as well...which I’m glad to see.

I’m no expert on this, so if you have different remotes all I can suggest is you try it with a MS one (buy if money is not an issue, borrow if it is...at least until you know it works).

This worked with Genius Remote 300 (MS remote RC6 clone) as well. Thanks a lot!!
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

Hello Every one its been interesting reading this thread.

Im currently running Vista 64 on a Hp pavilion
Im using Ir server suite and its pretty much automatically got my remote working.

I have a few keys that i am looking to re map as the Hp Remote is slightly different to the Microsoft one.

Is anyone here using this Remote from Hp?
and whats the best way to start remapping the keys?
I want to map, My Videos, My music, My pictures, ect..

thanks in advance.

Another question i did have was that my laptop comes with a built in Ir receiver which works with the remote in Xbmc but unless i plug in the usb doggle the keys dont working correctly. Ie play, pause, ffw, RW.

Is it possible to use the remote with out the usb doggle on a laptop with built in Ir?

cheers.
I'm already using "IR Server Suite" with an original Xbox1 dongle with a Harmony remote(setup like an MCE remote for all the functions).

The only problem I have is the repeat rate with the XB1 dongle (when you hold up/down/left/right it plods through the selections quite slowly), I noticed "IR Server Suite" has an option for repeat rate for the MS MCE receiver, when u hold up/down/left/right with the setup mentioned in the first post, does it scroll continuously (and quickly)?
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WINDOWS] HOW-TO get XBMC for Windows to work with remote control via IR Server Suite0