Browse Item Folder
Hi All

I recently setup a new media player running Kodi Leia. I use Krypton on my other player.
I had scanned a folder with music files to the music library, the folder contains a number of different classical pieces which I have tagged as separate albums.
In the folder there is a singe image file folder.jpg.
Perhaps because there are several albums in the same folder it doesn't automatically make folder.jpg the cover for these albums. This was also the case in Krypton.
In Krypton I could long click on information and then click "get thump" and it would display any image found in the folder. I could even click "browse" and then "item folder" and easily navigate to the folder and select whichever image should be the cover.
Is it no longer possible to do this in Leia? Is there a solution which would allow the folder.jpg in a folder to be the album cover for all of the files in that folder even if they belong to separate albums?

Thanks
Indeed by design when there are several albums in the same folder Kodi does not automatically make local images the art for these albums. But you can always manually pick the art for each album from the album information dialog, in Leia you have even more choice of types of art (not just thumb) for skins that are more art rich.

Browse albums, then bring up the album info dialog for the selected album by hitting <i> on a keyboard or "information" on context menu (not sure about long press - that will depend on how you have remote setup). Click the "Choose art" button which replaces the "Get Thumb" in v17 and below. Click on art type "thumbnail" and then you can browse to pick the folder.jpg you want to use for the cover art for that album.
So the browse "item location" option no longer exists? Browsing my entire music folder to find the location of the art takes a long time. Is there a browse "item location" work around for Leia?
The "item location" will be offered if the album has a unique location, these albums don't have a unque location because they are mixed in together.

Although it will seem inconvenient to you that Kodi does not offer the location common to all the song files for the album, thinking of folders that contain more than one album as the album folder caused all kinds of other issues, hence uniqueness applies from v18. The key to using local art is to having a strict one album per folder layout.

You can set art for an album using JSON, or via import of a suitably formated xml file. Again the lack of unique folder per album will mean that an album.NFO file approach won't work. But my recommendation is that if you want to avoid manuaol effort then use an album per folder file layout.
(2020-12-18, 15:00)DaveBlake Wrote: The "item location" will be offered if the album has a unique location, these albums don't have a unque location because they are mixed in together.

Although it will seem inconvenient to you that Kodi does not offer the location common to all the song files for the album, thinking of folders that contain more than one album as the album folder caused all kinds of other issues, hence uniqueness applies from v18. The key to using local art is to having a strict one album per folder layout.

You can set art for an album using JSON, or via import of a suitably formated xml file. Again the lack of unique folder per album will mean that an album.NFO file approach won't work. But my recommendation is that if you want to avoid manuaol effort then use an album per folder file layout.
Thanks for replying so quickly to my questions.

"item location" was offered in Krypton. I don't see how the mere existence of the option inconveniences anyone; it's simply a shortcut to the folder where the files are located, whether the files there all belong to same album makes no difference.

This is only an issue with my classical music collection; I make the "album" tag equiavlent to the "work" tag because Kodi, or at least the standard skin, doesn't allow me to customise which tags the library uses to organise music files.

I'm not familiar with JSON. Could I simply instruct Kodi to use the folder.jpg file in the folder as album art regardles of whether the fodler contained more than one album?
(2020-12-19, 22:28)Tstrbl Wrote: "item location" was offered in Krypton. I don't see how the mere existence of the option inconveniences anyone; it's simply a shortcut to the folder where the files are located, whether the files there all belong to same album makes no difference.
That may be what you thought it was, but that is not how it was implemented. "Item location" for albums maps to album folder something used in a variety of places that requires uniqueness to avoid a lot of problems that v17 and below had.

(2020-12-19, 22:28)Tstrbl Wrote: This is only an issue with my classical music collection; I make the "album" tag equiavlent to the "work" tag because Kodi, or at least the standard skin, doesn't allow me to customise which tags the library uses to organise music files.
If you choose to treat album in a bespoke way that is up to you, but why not also locate in separate folders?

(2020-12-19, 22:28)Tstrbl Wrote: I'm not familiar with JSON. Could I simply instruct Kodi to use the folder.jpg file in the folder as album art regardles of whether the fodler contained more than one album?
No. However you can use JSON to set the art of an album, and so you could put multiple JSON calls in a script rather than set art album at a time manually.
(2020-12-20, 00:20)DaveBlake Wrote:
(2020-12-19, 22:28)Tstrbl Wrote: "item location" was offered in Krypton. I don't see how the mere existence of the option inconveniences anyone; it's simply a shortcut to the folder where the files are located, whether the files there all belong to same album makes no difference.
That may be what you thought it was, but that is not how it was implemented. "Item location" for albums maps to album folder something used in a variety of places that requires uniqueness to avoid a lot of problems that v17 and below had.
(2020-12-19, 22:28)Tstrbl Wrote: This is only an issue with my classical music collection; I make the "album" tag equiavlent to the "work" tag because Kodi, or at least the standard skin, doesn't allow me to customise which tags the library uses to organise music files.
If you choose to treat album in a bespoke way that is up to you, but why not also locate in separate folders?
(2020-12-19, 22:28)Tstrbl Wrote: I'm not familiar with JSON. Could I simply instruct Kodi to use the folder.jpg file in the folder as album art regardles of whether the fodler contained more than one album?
No. However you can use JSON to set the art of an album, and so you could put multiple JSON calls in a script rather than set art album at a time manually.

OK, now I understand. I don't really know anything about JSON, but will see what I can do. Thanks

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Browse Item Folder0