Solved Could not write NFO - permission error while NAS is properly mounted
I just ran into something strange and I'm not sure how to fix it: I am running TMM 3.1.12.1 on macOS Catalina 10.15.7 , my media is on my Synology NAS. All of a sudden, I cannot modify NFOs via TMM any longer, even though my NAS is properly mounted. I am getting a

"Could not write NFO: /path/to/media.nfo": Operation not permitted"

when I e.g. change Artwork and click save. The strange thing is, that I only disabled SSH on my Synology and since then I am getting these permission errors. I am still getting this error after I re-enabled SSH again. AFAIK, SSH access is not even relevant for TMM. My Media is mounted via SMB through macOS and reading metadata in TMM works properly, but I just cannot write. I also updated to the latest Java on macOS today.

This is what the TMM log says when I try to edit a movie:

Code:
2020-12-26 22:23:45,645 WARN [tmmpool-image-download-task-T1] org.tinymediamanager.core.Utils:964 - Could not delete file: /Volumes/media/movies/en/1917 (2019)/1917 (2019)-fanart.jpg: Operation not permitted
2020-12-26 22:23:45,646 ERROR [tmmpool-image-download-task-T1] o.t.c.tasks.MediaEntityImageFetcherTask:130 - fetch image http://image.tmdb.org/t/p/original/nuboA...VAfvzk.jpg - Destination '/Volumes/media/movies/en/1917 (2019)/1917 (2019)-fanart.jpg' already exists
2020-12-26 22:23:45,663 ERROR [tmmpool-image-download-task-T1] o.tinymediamanager.core.MediaFileHelper:921 - Mediainfo could not open file: MediaInfoFile[snapshot=<null>,duration=0,filesize=0,path=/Volumes/media/movies/en/1917 (2019),filename=1917 (2019)-fanart.jpg]
2020-12-26 22:23:45,689 WARN [tmmpool-image-download-task-T1] org.tinymediamanager.core.ImageCache:327 - could not cache image: Can't create an ImageInputStream!

Any idea what could be the reason that I cannot edit metadata any longer?

Update:
I wonder if the Java update on my Mac messed something up: when I run "java -version" in a Terminal, I am getting "No Java runtime present, requesting install" ?!
tmm uses Java and Java uses file system functions from the operating system. If you get some access/permission errors, you have to look at file system level - there is nothing special with Java

if you can start tmm, the start script is somewhere finding a java, so this might not be a problem (otherwise you wouldn't be able to start tmm)
tinyMediaManager - THE media manager of your choice - available for Windows, macOS and Linux
Help us translate tinyMediaManager at Weblate | Translations at 66%
Found a bug or want to submit a feature request? Contact us at GitLab
Thanks @mlaggner , you were right, it was not related to my Java installation. I did some further "debugging" on Synology side, but I repeatedly got the same permission error in TMM. I then removed my local NAS connection in my macOS file manager (ForkLift) which I use to mount my NAS via SMB before using TMM. After removing and re-adding the connection (with the same NAS-user, same permissions - nothing changed there), writing seems to work again in TMM. Very strange, no idea why this happened, but I'm glad it's working again.
(2020-12-29, 22:29)spinmaster Wrote: Thanks @mlaggner , you were right, it was not related to my Java installation. I did some further "debugging" on Synology side, but I repeatedly got the same permission error in TMM. I then removed my local NAS connection in my macOS file manager (ForkLift) which I use to mount my NAS via SMB before using TMM. After removing and re-adding the connection (with the same NAS-user, same permissions - nothing changed there), writing seems to work again in TMM. Very strange, no idea why this happened, but I'm glad it's working again.
Curious, but had you tried simply rebooting before?  It sounds like you were just facing an issue around cached credentials with an unknown permission change or update having occurred.
(2020-12-30, 08:24)EarthBoundX5 Wrote: Curious, but had you tried simply rebooting before?  It sounds like you were just facing an issue around cached credentials with an unknown permission change or update having occurred.
Yup, tried rebooting my Synology NAS (and Mac of course), but without any effect. Sounds indeed like some kind of weird caching authentication issue ... anyway, maybe this is helpful for someone in the future who is facing a similar problem.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Could not write NFO - permission error while NAS is properly mounted0