Will Kodi modify my music files?
I have a music library mostly comprised of .wav files (cd rips). These files have all been tagged and have cover art added using the Bliss app (blisshq.com). Will Kodi show the cover art & metadata I added?

Also, I fear that if I import the files into Kodi that the metadata, tags, or cover art will be modified by Kodi. How can I prevent this from happening? I do not want the files modified/edited in any way.
(2021-01-03, 08:20)ron_jeremy Wrote: I have a music library mostly comprised of .wav files
Bad choice. There is no standard for tagging wav files and most players have a limited (if any) support for it, so chances are that none/some/all of your tags may not be read. Convert your files to FLAC.
Yep, sounds like a lot of work, but its not as players like Foobar2000 can convert your entire library with a couple of mouse clicks.
Then use MusicBrainz Picard to accurately tag your music files.

(2021-01-03, 08:20)ron_jeremy Wrote: Also, I fear that if I import the files into Kodi that the metadata, tags, or cover art will be modified by Kodi. How can I prevent this from happening?
It does not happen. Kodi cannot modify your music files as it was never coded to do so.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2021-01-03, 08:49)Karellen Wrote:
(2021-01-03, 08:20)ron_jeremy Wrote: I have a music library mostly comprised of .wav files
Bad choice. There is no standard for tagging wav files and most players have a limited (if any) support for it, so chances are that none/some/all of your tags may not be read. Convert your files to FLAC.
Yep, sounds like a lot of work, but its not as players like Foobar2000 can convert your entire library with a couple of mouse clicks.
(2021-01-03, 08:20)ron_jeremy Wrote: Also, I fear that if I import the files into Kodi that the metadata, tags, or cover art will be modified by Kodi. How can I prevent this from happening?
It does not happen. Kodi cannot modify your music files as it was never coded to do so.

Good to know that Kodi will not modify my music -- thanks for clarifying.
I just ran a test and see that Kodi works just fine at displaying the cover art and metadata for my albums that are in .wav format.
(2021-01-03, 09:48)ron_jeremy Wrote:
(2021-01-03, 08:49)Karellen Wrote:

I just ran a test and see that Kodi works just fine at displaying the cover art and metadata for my albums that are in .wav format.
Just a quick note, in case you ever do want to convert your library from .wav to a lossless format, you can use beets to do so. It will also create the correct ID3 tags within the files and everything will be gravy.

-Yp
(2021-01-03, 14:38)Yponac Wrote:
(2021-01-03, 09:48)ron_jeremy Wrote:
(2021-01-03, 08:49)Karellen Wrote: Bad choice. There is no standard for tagging wav files and most players have a limited (if any) support for it, so chances are that none/some/all of your tags may not be read. Convert your files to FLAC.

Just a quick note, in case you ever do want to convert your library from .wav to a lossless format, you can use beets to do so. It will also create the correct ID3 tags within the files and everything will be gravy.

-Yp
Thanks! Anyways, .wav is already lossless and my .wav files already have all the correct tags added. Kodi displays all album & song info correctly. Even my $200 Android phone displays all the correct metadata for the .wav files.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Will Kodi modify my music files?0